Four-star Illinois running back Mar’Keise Irving commits to the Gophers

Co-champs ;)
I agree 100% what your saying. Let's get better recruits and we will see what happens. We obviously have momentum. Lets now get it done on field. Hasnt happened yet. We have people talking national championship. Easy now. Lets win the west. Lets actually get to rose bowl. Weve had like 5 years since 1970 where weve been 4 games over .500 in a season. I love that people are this excited. So am I. I was so fired up last season, especially watching penn st and auburn game, but let's take it one game at a time lol

The Gophers received a commitment from four-star Country Club Hills, Illinois running back Mar’Keise Irving. He chose Minnesota over offers from Illinois, Iowa, Michigan, Purdue, South Carolina, Wisconsin and others.

Irving is a four-star prospect with a 0.8949 composite rating, according to 24/7 Sports. With the addition of Irving, the Gophers have now landed three players who rank in the top-seven among Illinois recruits (Athan Kaliakmanis - No. 3 in IL, Irving - No. 6 in IL and Sam Jackson - No. 7 in IL).

The 5-foot-10, 175-pound running back has excellent balance and stays on his feet in traffic. Irving frequently breaks tackles and picks up additional yardage. He also occasionally uses a fierce stiff-arm and spin move to extend runs. Irving operates very well in crowded spaces and abruptly makes sharp cuts. He often slams on the brakes, lets defenders pass and redirects runs. His agility and ability to change direction might be two of his best traits. When running to the perimeter, Irving executes his initial cut and makes the first defender miss. On a couple runs, I was impressed with how he read the defense and found backside creases. If you take a bad angle against him, it’s over.

Irving also showed flashes as a receiver off swing passes and other routes. With his elusiveness and ability to break tackles, Irving will fit well within Minnesota’s zone-blocking concepts. He is very tough to bring down in space and has all of the skills to thrive off outside zone. His rushing style reminds me of former Clemson and Cardinals running back Andre Ellington.

Minnesota's 2021 class now ranks No. 4 in 24/7 Sports' team rankings and No. 6 in the composite rankings. If you look at the team rankings, the only programs ahead of the Gophers are Ohio State (No. 1), Tennessee (No. 2) and North Carolina (No. 3).

Here's a look at his film:

The Gophers now have the same problem Lou Nanne used to have with the North Stars. We simply have too much talent
This is one of many reasons it was so important to get Jackson locked up.

He says he’s 185 on his Twitter bio, so maybe he’s already put on some weight. He definitely doesn’t look skinny. He probably needs to get close to 200 lbs, minimum.

Mo was 178 lbs in high school. Now, he’s a tank.

Followed by a Joe Alt, Austin Barber, and then capped with a Jaydon Hood and Jamari Buddin. Wouldn’t mind landing Jake Ratzlaff either.
I'd like him on our blue line for a couple years instead.

Legitimate chance at a top 15 class and a coach that knows how to build a team.

Who's next

For as much as I’d like JC Latham to be a gopher I don’t see it coming to fruition.

The Gophers received a commitment from four-star Country Club Hills, Illinois running back Mar’Keise Irving. He chose Minnesota over offers from Illinois, Iowa, Michigan, Purdue, South Carolina, Wisconsin and others.

Irving is a four-star prospect with a 0.8949 composite rating, according to 24/7 Sports. With the addition of Irving, the Gophers have now landed three players who rank in the top-seven among Illinois recruits (Athan Kaliakmanis - No. 3 in IL, Irving - No. 6 in IL and Sam Jackson - No. 7 in IL).

The 5-foot-10, 175-pound running back has excellent balance and stays on his feet in traffic. Irving frequently breaks tackles and picks up additional yardage. He also occasionally uses a fierce stiff-arm and spin move to extend runs. Irving operates very well in crowded spaces and abruptly makes sharp cuts. He often slams on the brakes, lets defenders pass and redirects runs. His agility and ability to change direction might be two of his best traits. When running to the perimeter, Irving executes his initial cut and makes the first defender miss. On a couple runs, I was impressed with how he read the defense and found backside creases. If you take a bad angle against him, it’s over.

Irving also showed flashes as a receiver off swing passes and other routes. With his elusiveness and ability to break tackles, Irving will fit well within Minnesota’s zone-blocking concepts. He is very tough to bring down in space and has all of the skills to thrive off outside zone. His rushing style reminds me of former Clemson and Cardinals running back Andre Ellington.

Minnesota's 2021 class now ranks No. 4 in 24/7 Sports' team rankings and No. 6 in the composite rankings. If you look at the team rankings, the only programs ahead of the Gophers are Ohio State (No. 1), Tennessee (No. 2) and North Carolina (No. 3).

Here's a look at his film:

tenor.gif

Who's next

I like the way you think! It's a pipe dream outside of James, but I like it ?

Legitimate chance at a top 15 class and a coach that knows how to build a team.
Top 20-25 is probably more realistic, but an excellent class either way. Although, our class may be smaller than other schools which would bring our overall score down. Like many of you this is why I think average score seems to be a better comparison. Regardless the teams that we are beating out for these recruits are much better than a few years ago.

Love this kid and the whole '21 class. I also agree with Mo being a stud. If Mo stays healthy this year, it's gonna be a massive one.

I was really struck by his balance. His ability to change direction quickly at contact and stay upright is pretty amazing.

Huge addition to this class as it basically looks like he had his pick of Big Ten Schools. I always love seeing recruits with lots of interest from other teams in the BIG.

HE is going to improve his draft stock after the Gophers are through with him. The running back role in pro sports have changed in favor of a more wide open spread passing offense. The RB still plays an important role, but it has adapted to the modern passing game.

However, a versatile running back that can block effectively, catch a pass in an option offense, or play a role in special teams is coveted more than a pure RB.

He will have all those skills developed after he is through with the Gophers who are bent on not only winning titles, but actually is becoming a NFL developmental teaching program.

It is not accident that the Gophers have five players drafted and two more sign UDFA contracts.

According to the Des Moines Register Irving was one of the top 10 recruiting targets for Iowa. Love it when we beat Iowa in the recruiting battle.

They came close to getting Irving AND Jackson. They were a package deal.

Who's next

Sometimes, when I have a really high fever, I have dreams like this ...

PJF is following the 2 backs n a spare to heart. Love that he chose us over IO/ WI n MI !

The Gophers now have the same problem Lou Nanne used to have with the North Stars. We simply have too much talent
Problem with the North Stars is that nobody knew how to coach the players to win.

I'm 54 y.o. and know I sound ridiculous saying this...but, Duuuude!

Need some big nasties now! to seal this recruiting class!

Top 20-25 is probably more realistic, but an excellent class either way. Although, our class may be smaller than other schools which would bring our overall score down. Like many of you this is why I think average score seems to be a better comparison. Regardless the teams that we are beating out for these recruits are much better than a few years ago.
Agree, definitely exceeds my expectations. If the class is a full 25, I think there's a very good chance to crack Top 25. Without a 5*, Gophs most likely need three more 4* to have a chance at Top 20 IMHO.

Top Bottom