Four-star Illinois running back Mar’Keise Irving commits to the Gophers

We competed for one last year....

Dumb comment.
Lighten up a little. The stars aligned last year for us let’s be honest. The schedule, lack of injuries, and we faced some back up qb’s as well. To consistently compete for Indy we need to recruit like we are currently. That’s all he’s saying.

Last edited:

Hell of a recruiting class, incredible.
Helluva job there, Brownie!!

Sorry, couldn’t resist.

In all seriousness, Fleck has certainly earned his salary. He is taking this program to places I did not think I would ever see. I went to school during the Wacker years, so the Mason years were a real treat and the NY bowl game during the Kill era was exciting, but Fleck looks to be making NY bowl games as a baseline while aiming much higher. We just have never got recruiting classes like this before. This is fun stuff. Fleck is a playa!!!

Looks like a home run hitter. The RB room is getting stacked.

Legitimate chance at a top 15 class and a coach that knows how to build a team.

Legitimate chance at a top 15 class and a coach that knows how to build a team.

This is also not as much fools gold as it was with Brew at times. I'm not one of those people who takes every chance to rip on Brew, but some of his recruiting had a little bit of fools gold to it (people who would struggle getting into and staying in school, etc.).

Fleck can recruit and coach. I also think Fleck is probably considerably more ready for recruiting during these strange times than his counterparts.

This has been exciting!

Wow, the sheer amount of ridiculous tds was impressive, especially considering he's got another season to add to the tape. I just kept thinking there's no way he's going to get out of this, and this, and this, and okay, somehow he's scoring now. That one where he had his helmet ripped off was pretty sweet. It looks like so much fun to have his ability--just embarrassing everyone trying to tackle him.

This is also not as much fools gold as it was with Brew at times. I'm not one of those people who takes every chance to rip on Brew, but some of his recruiting had a little bit of fools gold to it (people who would struggle getting into and staying in school, etc.).

Fleck can recruit and coach. I also think Fleck is probably considerably more ready for recruiting during these strange times than his counterparts.

This has been exciting!
Agree. He has a keen eye, can sell, can teach and would not cut corners on character. That is a great way to build a winner.

Looks like Mo with more moves.

Lighten up a little. The stars aligned last year for us let’s be honest. The schedule, lack of injuries, and we faced some back up qb’s as well. To consistently compete for Indy we need to recruit like we are currently. That’s all he’s saying.

We don’t have to recruit better than Wisconsin to compete with them consistently, we just need to be in the same ball park. If we recruit better than them I’d expect us to WIN the west consistently, not just compete.

It is amazing that PJ is getting these top recruits and they are often not even visiting campus. Can we see the recruiting video he is sending to recruits?

Another one of these "compared to before" things. When was the last time the U landed someone with his rating and he's not even the top 4* in this class? But would have been the top recruit in previous classes.

We don’t have to recruit better than Wisconsin to compete with them consistently, we just need to be in the same ball park. If we recruit better than them I’d expect us to WIN the west consistently, not just compete.
Let's just win it once before we get too cocky! Havent won anything yet!

Another one of these "compared to before" things. When was the last time the U landed someone with his rating and he's not even the top 4* in this class? But would have been the top recruit in previous classes.
I think a while back I said I just wanted to see some consistent improvement crooting wise and I'd worry about the end game .. .when we get there.

Getting improvent so far.

It is amazing that PJ is getting these top recruits and they are often not even visiting campus. Can we see the recruiting video he is sending to recruits?
Obviously this one...

On film, Irving certainly looks the part. Have to think if he puts on another 15-20 lbs of muscle, he'll be a real handful in college.

Nice combination of speed, elusiveness and balance.

Looks like he also has the potential to be a kick-returner, which is a nice bonus.

Overall, looks like an excellent all-around prospect!

Good job by coach Fleck and staff getting him to commit! :D

On film, Irving certainly looks the part. Have to think if he puts on another 15-20 lbs of muscle, he'll be a real handful in college.

Nice combination of speed, elusiveness and balance.

Looks like he also has the potential to be a kick-returner, which is a nice bonus.

Overall, looks like an excellent all-around prospect!

Good job by coach Fleck and staff getting him to commit! :D
I like that. Good point.

Top Bottom