Four-star Arizona DB Steven Ortiz Jr. commits to the Gophers

They both whiffed on Burrow. This was an old post of mine.
If Nebraska struggles again next year, the fans will get very restless. They passed on Joe Burrow a few years ago, and that was bought to light, during this last season. Joe Burrow had family that played at Nebraska, and they still passed on him. Then as a Grad Transfer, Scott Frost said this about Burrow
"You think he's better than what we got?" OOPS!
I thought that Meyer put restrictions on where Burrow could transfer and his only options were Cincinnati and LSU --- I can't find a source for this, but I recall hearing it in the lead up to the national championship

per Eleven Warriors:

MINNESOTA LANDS A NATIONAL FOUR-STAR RECRUIT
We talked about it last week, but under PJ Fleck, Minnesota has proven to recruit all areas of the country, and they showed that this week.

Fleck and Co. went into Arizona and beat multiple West Coast schools for four-star cornerback Steven Ortiz out of Desert Edge High School in Goodyear, Ariz.

Ortiz is a big talent for Minnesota, but more importantly, it shows once again that the Gophers can recruit just about anywhere in the country, along with being Midwest-focused. Fleck is building a power at Minnesota, and Ortiz is a piece of that puzzle.

Go Gophers!!

Kid looks like the second coming of, dare I say it, Antoine Winfield Jr.!!!!

Very impressive film!

per Shama:

The Gophers’ 2021 recruiting class has moved up to No. 18 in the latest 247Sports national rankings after the recent verbal commitment of four-star cornerback Steven Ortiz Jr. from Goodyear, Arizona. Minnesota beat out prominent programs for Ortiz, including Penn State, Oregon and Washington, according to an online story last Thursday from the Arizona Republic.

“I love the energy of the coaching staff,” Ortiz said in the article. “It’s a program on the rise.”

Go Gophers!!

per Greder:

“I want to choose my own path,” Ortiz told the Pioneer Press. “I don’t want to go somewhere because all my boys are there. I don’t want to go somewhere because it’s a White Out. I want to choose my own future.”

Ortiz, a two-time Class 4A all-state player at Desert Edge High School in the Phoenix suburb of Goodyear, knows the stars next to his name carry expectations.

“It motivates me,” said Ortiz, who plans to enroll at the U next January. “It lets me know I have a target on my back and the coaches expect a lot from me, so I’m just trying to get on their good side about grinding and getting my head in the playbook early and pretty much work for everything.”

Ortiz became a starting safety at the beginning of his freshman season in high school, moved to cornerback as a sophomore, and as a junior last fall, he returned to safety and mixed in time at nickel back. He said Gophers coaches want him to play nickel at the U.

“He has some of that DB swagger to him,” former Desert Edge head coach Jose Lucero said. “… He works extremely hard. He is never going to miss a weight-room day, never going to skip a rep. He is always going to give everything he has.”

Go Gophers!!

per KSTP:

4-star Class of 2021 defensive back Steven Ortiz Jr. talks to our Darren 'Doogie' Wolfson about committing to the Gophers. He's currently a junior at Desert Edge High School in Arizona.

Ortiz, who is 6-feet and 175-pounds, picked the Gophers over other offers from Oregon, Washington, Penn State, Mississippi State, Washington State, Arizona, and more Power-5 programs.

While recruiting Ortiz, the Gophers compared him to defensive back Antoine Winfield Jr., who's expected to be a top-40 pick in next week's NFL Draft.

Go Gophers!!

...putting lockdowns where they belong, in the Gopher secondary.

I’m so pumped for Steven’s recruiting class! Ortiz and Avante both likely get significant PT on a top 15 team from the day they step on campus!
And full crowds and tailgating will be back for the first time since the 2019 season.

Now let’s just win whatever 2020 is, and the place will be packed like the Penn St game. Sept 2, 2021 hosting Ohio St.

Pick 6 with 4-Star Recruit, Desert Edge’s DB Steven Ortiz Jr.

As we talked, he elaborated on his style of play as “Being a Dog, and the smartest guy on the field, being grimy and ready to work.” Being listed as 5-11 175 pounds Steven brings his all every Friday night and makes sure his opponent knows that he’s arrived. “If you’re not on my team I’m headhunting you.” He didn’t shy away from the praise of that great defensive line at Desert Edge.

With the conversation from the high-powered recruit coming to an end, we played a game of PICK 6. It’s similar to the game called “This or That” where the individual gets six questions and they pick their preference of the two options.

Steven’s PICK 6:
  1. Chick-fil-A or In N Out = Chick-fil-A
  2. Nike or Adidas = Nike
  3. Lebron James or Michael Jordan = Michael Jordan
  4. Hot or Cold = Cold
  5. Pick 6 or Big Hit = Big Hit
  6. Texans or Chiefs = Chiefs

Go Gophers!!

As we talked, he elaborated on his style of play as “Being a Dog, and the smartest guy on the field, being grimy and ready to work.” Being listed as 5-11 175 pounds Steven brings his all every Friday night and makes sure his opponent knows that he’s arrived. “If you’re not on my team I’m headhunting you.” He didn’t shy away from the praise of that great defensive line at Desert Edge.

With the conversation from the high-powered recruit coming to an end, we played a game of PICK 6. It’s similar to the game called “This or That” where the individual gets six questions and they pick their preference of the two options.

Steven’s PICK 6:
  2. Nike or Adidas = Nike
  4. Hot or Cold = Cold

Go Gophers!!
While I like the physicality that preferring a big hit entails, the answer has to be pick 6.

Steven’s PICK 6:
  2. Nike or Adidas = Nike
  4. Hot or Cold = Cold

Cold over hot? We have got our guy!

Cane's is way better than Chick-fil-A, so is In-N-Out.

I asked elsewhere but anyone heard more about him this year. Didn’t play in 2021

Top Bottom