Four-star Arizona DB Steven Ortiz Jr. commits to the Gophers

DanielHouse

Reaction score
The Gophers received a commitment from Goodyear, Arizona (Desert Edge High School) defensive back Steven Ortiz Jr.

Ortiz, a four-star prospect, is currently Minnesota’s second highest-rated cornerback commit in the internet era, according to 24/7 Sports data. He held offers from Washington, Oregon, Arizona, California, Nebraska, Penn State and others. Among 2021 cornerback recruits, Ortiz ranks No. 17 in the country, per 24/7 Sports rankings.

Ortiz has the versatility and athletic skills to play multiple positions in Minnesota’s defense. He could potentially align as a primary outside cornerback, nickel or safety. The options are endless because of his speed, range and physicality. In the film cuts, you quickly see his natural feel for the game. There are many plays where he will quickly break on the ball or get downhill to make a physical tackle in space. He is an enforcer in the secondary and plays with intensity.

In several clips, you will specifically notice his speed, hips and transition quickness (from backpedal to opening hips). Here's an example:

With cornerback Coney Durr set to graduate after next season, Ortiz could play a major role early in his college career. There may be an opportunity for him to see action at nickel cornerback, too. When factoring in his versatility, there are many different ways he could be utilized in the Gophers’ defense.

There is no doubt Ortiz is the type of player this program can build around in the secondary. He instantly becomes one of the top commits P.J. Fleck and his staff have landed at Minnesota.

Last edited:

So awesome. "1000 percent in for the University of Minnesota " "You won't have a decommitment from me". Love it! This dude is big-time.

So awesome. "1000 percent in for the University of Minnesota " "You won't have a decommitment from me". Love it! This dude is big-time.

I’m getting the impression this is 100% about PJ. He didn’t even visit!

giphy.gif

I have a feeling he and his 7v7 teammates, Phillip Riley and Junior Alexander, are a package deal.

Same, and I've got my eyes on Jamari Buddin and Sam Jackson too. Wouldn't count that out!

I’m getting the impression this is 100% about PJ. He didn’t even visit!
Said he loves the whole staff (definitely led by PJ) but they definitely got some other guys that bring the energy

Same, and I've got my eyes on Jamari Buddin and Sam Jackson too. Wouldn't count that out!

Tanner Morgan and Bateman were involved on twitter minutes before the announcement. Avante Dickerson was also involved in the tweeting. That would be too good to be true.

Oh how we suffered these many years, this is pure Joy.

Outstanding! Welcome aboard!

4* mean one of the top 100(?) players in the country? Something akin to 2nd/3rd round draft pick?

What a great development!!! If we start to land some guys like this.......WOW!!

Top Bottom