Four-star Arizona DB Steven Ortiz Jr. commits to the Gophers

Welcome!!! Could not be more excited for where this boat appears to be headed!!!

That was one heck of senior class from Hutchinson...Murtha, Nathan Swift and Tony Mortenson

Mitch Erickson was less heralded than those three, but he went to South Dakota State and was with the Broncos (I think on the practice squad) for a couple of seasons. But yeah, awesome class.

I make a point to not get overly excited about recruits until they sign and prove they can play, but it is impossible to deny that recruiting is taking a big leap in the right direction and we are starting to beat out helmet schools for recruits. That isn't something that happened much around here before Fleck arrived.

That says something when 4* players are committing without even having set foot on campus. Here's hoping we get to play the 2020 season and can keep on building on this current trend. Exciting times for Gopher football and it doesn't feel like we have peaked yet.

I make a point to not get overly excited about recruits until they sign and prove they can play, but it is impossible to deny that recruiting is taking a big leap in the right direction and we are starting to beat out helmet schools for recruits. That isn't something that happened much around here before Fleck arrived.

That says something when 4* players are committing without even having set foot on campus. Here's hoping we get to play the 2020 season and can keep on building on this current trend. Exciting times for Gopher football and it doesn't feel like we have peaked yet.

Preach Brother!!!! Times are a changin'.

One word: NIIIIIIIICCCCCCEEEEEEE !

I like to get overly excited ... but then I forget everything and come signing day I get excited again ... ;)

I watch the videos and such but honestly I've no clue how any folks really evaluate stuff. Beyond the most obvious that everyone can see like some guy who is #1 overall is pretty amazing and everyone wants him.... I'm not sure there's good info out there about anyone else.

It's also interesting that the top-rated guys considering us are all from out of state. Right now, all 3 of the Gophers' top-rated verbals and all of the other top-rated guys supposedly considering MN are from somewhere else like AZ, WA, IL or FL. Compare that to the Empire Class of 2016 where the 6 top-rated guys (Coughlin, Green, Johnson, Schleuter, Martin and Howard) were all currently or recently (Green) from MN. Appears the program/brand/culture is starting to get a national reputation. Seriously, how often have non-MN 4-star prospects signed with the Gophers? Pretty rare.

It's also interesting that the top-rated guys considering us are all from out of state. Right now, all 3 of the Gophers' top-rated verbals and all of the other top-rated guys supposedly considering MN are from somewhere else like AZ, WA, IL or FL. Compare that to the Empire Class of 2016 where the 6 top-rated guys (Coughlin, Green, Johnson, Schleuter, Martin and Howard) were all currently or recently (Green) from MN. Appears the program/brand/culture is starting to get a national reputation?

I'd agree with this as well. The national exposure in big games last season, final rankings and record and all the press we have gotten are starting to get us past the front door with these kids. They not only know about the school and team, but they have heard about PJ - and I think this is where his unique energy and ability to connect are becoming a factor. When it's time to close - now we are in a position (for all the reasons above) to get them - but he is special in this scenario and sets us apart from a lot of teams/schools/coaches. PS. I think it also doesn't hurt that our staff is built of primarily young guys, who also are much closer to being able to identify with 17-year-olds these days.

Have to think recruiting will explode going forward. Welcome!

(extend PJF...)

I'd agree with this as well. The national exposure in big games last season, final rankings and record and all the press we have gotten are starting to get us past the front door with these kids. They not only know about the school and team, but they have heard about PJ - and I think this is where his unique energy and ability to connect are becoming a factor. When it's time to close - now we are in a position (for all the reasons above) to get them - but he is special in this scenario and sets us apart from a lot of teams/schools/coaches. PS. I think it also doesn't hurt that our staff is built of primarily young guys, who also are much closer to being able to identify with 17-year-olds these days.

That appears to be what's happening. Mason did get Paris Hamilton, B Owens and Maroney in one class from out of state, and Brewster had a couple of flashy classes like that. But, historically speaking over the last 40 years, the top-half of our recruiting classes have usually been heavy on MN and western WI kids. Since Fleck got here, they seem to be in a better position to nab high-end prospects from all corners of the country. Kids like Faalele, Dunlap, Bateman, Nubin, Brown, Jackson and now Athan K and Ortiz and possibly a few more. Our local talent pool is modest most years so this is exciting to see. Now, if those few top-notch LOCAL kids would start to see the light, that would really seal the deal.

I like to get overly excited ... but then I forget everything and come signing day I get excited again ... ;)

I watch the videos and such but honestly I've no clue how any folks really evaluate stuff. Beyond the most obvious that everyone can see like some guy who is #1 overall is pretty amazing and everyone wants him.... I'm not sure there's good info out there about anyone else.

Very true. But when Penn State, Oregon, Washington and others are all after a recruit it is a pretty safe bet that you are getting a good player. Or at least the odds are strongly in your favor that you are getting a good player.

I could get use to this level of recruiting ! I hope he brings other talent with him. Go Gophers !

I could get use to this level of recruiting ! I hope he brings other talent with him. Go Gophers !

Getting higher rated guys might not guarantee anything but it certainly improves the odds of them panning out. And it definitely makes it more exciting as fans to see highly regarded players committing and hopefully signing in December.

Getting higher rated guys might not guarantee anything but it certainly improves the odds of them panning out. And it definitely makes it more exciting as fans to see highly regarded players committing and hopefully signing in December.

agreed. If it were just recruiting rankings, Nebraska would be dominating the B1GW

Except when they thought that Joe Burrow was not as good as their QB's.
Correct me if I am wrong, but wasn't that Pelini & Co.'s assessment of Burrow. Additionally I think that Frost has taken their recruiting to another level than Pelini was on.

Correct me if I am wrong, but wasn't that Pelini & Co.'s assessment of Burrow. Additionally I think that Frost has taken their recruiting to another level than Pelini was on.
They both whiffed on Burrow. This was an old post of mine.
If Nebraska struggles again next year, the fans will get very restless. They passed on Joe Burrow a few years ago, and that was bought to light, during this last season. Joe Burrow had family that played at Nebraska, and they still passed on him. Then as a Grad Transfer, Scott Frost said this about Burrow
"You think he's better than what we got?" OOPS!

I have a feeling he and his 7v7 teammates, Phillip Riley and Junior Alexander, are a package deal.

I like your thinking. Especially looking at Junior Alexander's interests. All Pac-12 west coast teams....and then the Gophers.

Top Bottom