Fleck

This team doesn’t seem that far away. OC called a better game today but TM couldn’t execute very well. Decent QB play with this defense and they probably would only have 1 loss. Thought the squad outplayed the Hawks. Man have they broken Tanner. Maybe it’s the loss of his Dad? Love Tanner but he just has regressed terribly this year. Tired of losing to the rivals, because it’s not a rivalry with these teams. Sigh.
I think people underestimate the grief of a loved one dying and the unrealistic burdens that a person can put on themselves.
Tanner may not admit he is putting too much pressure on himself and PJ may not have the heart to replace Tanner this season. Sometimes the best way to heal is to step back and take a break.

If I told you in January of 2017 that the next 5 years following a 9-4 season were two seasons with no bowl, a Motor City Bowl, a Music City or Pinstripe Bowl and an 10-2 record that only got you to the Outback Bowl, a 1-9 record vs. Iowa and Wisconsin and zero trips to Indy, would you still hire P.J. Fleck?

Relax. Disappointed, for sure. But I have faith Fleck will get this program to new heights. Just not this year.

If I told you in January of 2017 that the next 5 years following a 9-4 season were two seasons with no bowl, a Motor City Bowl, a Music City or Pinstripe Bowl and an 10-2 record that only got you to the Outback Bowl, a 1-9 record vs. Iowa and Wisconsin and zero trips to Indy, would you still hire P.J. Fleck?
Yeah I would but he has to fire Sanford and get a modern looking offense that can match what Rossi's defense is brining. Sanford was a completely unforced error that has prevented this program from going to new heights.

Can someone please make a sign at every game for the rest of the season that says:

-Bench Morgan
-Fire Sanford
-Fire Fleck

Fleck is terrible and this team will be 6-7 by years end. I really don't want that to happen, but it will. I had bad thoughts before the Illinois game and it's all coming back to haunt me. I have thought of myself as a curse since then and know that they are losing, because of me. My bad thoughts caused the team to become cursed. So, blame me.

Eh… he won big games in the past with a different OC. He is a GM style coach. Need good coordinators. He made the wrong OC hire and its haunting him.
Thought he would have learned his lesson with Robb Smith.

Starting to think being a Jim Tressel disciple isn’t a good thing. 🤔

Not really. He’s 1-8 in rivalry games. Beat penn st once and been auburn in a game they don’t care about. Otherwise pretty shit
And that Penn state game was pretty lucky their WR tripped on a chalk line otherwise they were gonna blow that lead too.

That is what’s most frustrating, these games just haven’t been very rivalish with WI and IA because they’re completely one sided
The series have been. I wouldn’t say the games have been completely one sided.

Well, it's not as one sided physically anymore. A few games are.

But we pissed this one away as we did two years ago in Iowa City. We beat Bucky three years ago and lost to them last year in overtime. In every single one of these games, we'd had the better play, but just can't get Minnesota Sports Syndrome out of our asses.

The Passive play calling after a nice gain and the roughing the QB call sums up this staffs mentality and stubborn approach. Garbage

The Passive play calling after a nice gain and the roughing the QB call sums up this staffs mentality and stubborn approach. Garbage
If you didn't know better, you'd swear they thing a field goal and crossing the goal line are worth the same amount of points.

Next year is year 6 and we lose a lot from this year. I love your optimism, but I 'm not seeing it.

Offense might be better next year.
Defense is pretty young.

He will not win much more unless qb play changes a fair amount. Needs a resfresh at qb big time.

If Morgan comes back next year it will be really tough. Better find someone else ASAP.

Never knew the amount of people secretly lurking waiting for Minnesota's 'downfall' so they can call for the head coach to get fired. Almost looks like a Nebraska fan board around here. I thought it was a decent game all around. Missed opportunities sure, you could say that about the throw that bounced off Ty Johnson a couple years ago, where we felt like we should have won that game and were the better team. It's college football. If it felt like the program is stale, then yes... fire sale. But it doesn't feel like that at all to me...

Blah blah blah blah. Fleck has the program on an upswing that we haven't seen since the early 00's. He's still young and has time to adapt. He needs a better OC around him.

Blah blah blah blah. Fleck has the program on an upswing that we haven't seen since the early 00's. He's still young and has time to adapt. He needs a better OC around him.
Had that spirit for a couple decades. Blah blah blsh. Fleck is not upswinging anything but his pay check. He is not capable to adapt. He simply is a great sales guy but a poor program CEO. Keep rowing.......

It’s all on the coach, IMO. He has not recruited or developed good enough players. That simple. Look at recruiting rankings in the b10 since he came.

The Iowa game was close enough to win. Statistically, we should have won going away. Iowa played well enough and smart enough to win. But IMHO Iowa didn’t beat us this year; we beat ourselves. That is why this one feels so damn bad.

Never knew the amount of people secretly lurking waiting for Minnesota's 'downfall' so they can call for the head coach to get fired. Almost looks like a Nebraska fan board around here. I thought it was a decent game all around. Missed opportunities sure, you could say that about the throw that bounced off Ty Johnson a couple years ago, where we felt like we should have won that game and were the better team. It's college football. If it felt like the program is stale, then yes... fire sale. But it doesn't feel like that at all to me...
you mention Nebraska, but I believe the focus should be on Iowa and Wisconsin. The obvious task to legitimacy for any Gopher football coach is to be @ .500 against them. If you achieve that you can bet on a good record against the rest of the West. (Look at Wisconsin's record in the division since 2014 or even since Nebraska entered.). Fleck is 1-8 in those games and (judging by defensive front 7s) heading for 1-9. Claeys was 0-4. Kill 2-6. Horton 0-1. Brewster 0-7. Mason 6-14. Mason's 'trinket games' seems to be a legitimate and consistent reference point. Fleck is no better and in some instances worse than the rest of them. Except for Mason, they all got much shorter leashes and much smaller salaries than Fleck. Is Fleck's program 'stale'? I'd think the more pertinent question is winning percentage against Iowa and UW stale. The answer is right there. 9-41 is a bad trinket ratio.

Fleck is an overall asset to the program, though some curious decisions for sure. What would things look like if he could have Ciarrocca back as they had some chemistry that’s missing now. Ciarrocca found out he had a good thing going w Gophers, and Fleck hasn’t had quite the golden touch since. Yes maybe QB play also has regressed.

Curious is what is with what seems pre-determined fair catch on all punts received, as if it is a win to catch it. Giving up a lot of field position…..do Gophers not have a guy who can field a punt and do something w it?

He’s very good at 90% of his job. Unfortunately he’s just really bad at the other 10%.

Playing to lose. Always expecting the worst, what if you complete a pass and score a touch down instead of a sack.
It's so strange, he has that mindset but then attempts that weird FG.

It's honestly like he thinks FG attempts = 3 PTS. Like he doesn't factor in any negative consequences from FG attempts at times.

Top Bottom