Eric Curry

Isn’t curry coming back a damning of the new culture screed?

Cockburn is in the portal but sounds like a reasonable chance he returns.

I don't see how that helps him. He already dominated the Big Ten last season. If he wants to improve his draft stock, it would seem to make more sense to try to dominate in another elite league (like the SEC). The SEC has had significantly more players drafted in recent times than the Big Ten so I think dominating in that league would help him more.

I expect him to be the starting center in game 1. Whether he looks any better...we'll see.

That would really surprise me. I figured he came back for depth purposes; maybe play 12 minutes a game or so. I still think Johnson adds another big man, maybe one who isn't so great, or is young and unproven, but has some size.

I don't see how that helps him. He already dominated the Big Ten last season. If he wants to improve his draft stock, it would seem to make more sense to try to dominate in another elite league (like the SEC). The SEC has had significantly more players drafted in recent times than the Big Ten so I think dominating in that league would help him more.
If he wants to improve his draft stock he needs to learn how to score from more than 4ft from the basket. Also—I’m not an expert on him. Just going off what I’ve read from people who follow it more closely than I do.

How so? I always thought he seemed like a good teammate, positive person, displayed persistence/never give up attitude.
You are probably correct. I assume if something better comes along Curry will do a gracious backout prior to the season.

Qudus Wahab is the guy now at MD. Not a shock but the B1G is LOADED with big men for next year. We still need to add at least 1 if not 2 bigs for this season

Qudus Wahab is the guy now at MD. Not a shock but the B1G is LOADED with big men for next year. We still need to add at least 1 if not 2 bigs for this season
We have 2 bigs now with Treyton and Charlie (in my opinion Curry is a power forward) but I agree, that we would be in really good shape if we could find one more big who is either established High Major, Elite mid major player, or physically developed & skilled international player.

Come on man! You think the SEC is better than the big ten? He played great in the big ten. How again is it gonna help him now to go play in a worse league? Even if the SEC is a better league which it is not how is switching leagues gonna help? I'm confused.

Come on man! You think the SEC is better than the big ten? He played great in the big ten. How again is it gonna help him now to go play in a worse league? Even if the SEC is a better league which it is not how is switching leagues gonna help? I'm confused.
If your saying go pro then yes I agree with you. SEC sucks so I dont see changing conferences would do anything. Scouts know by now whether he can play or not. The deciding factor Isnt whether he plays well against Kentucky and Arkansas. Scouts know he can play!

Kofi is 23 years old. The only things he can do in college basketball to help his stock is shoot 70% from the free throw line and defend the pick and roll a bit better. I'm not even sure if that would improve his stock. Playing Tennessee rather than Michigan and Ohio State (or vice versa) isn't going to move the needle.

If he leaves to go to Kentucky it's because Antigua is back there. He brought Kofi to Illinois.

Doesn't matter what I think. Obviously, the pro scouts think more of SEC players than Big Ten players or the NBA wouldn't draft significantly more of them. Do some research instead of asking me what I think.
Ok sounds good! Your basically saying if Kofi plays in the SEC he instantly becomes better in the scouts eyes because he's not in Big anymore and in the SEC. Not sure what other guys in previous drafts have anything to do with Kofi being drafted. If scouts think Kofi is 20th best player in draft going to SEC still makes him the 20th best player.

SEC went 7-6 in the tourney this past year

B1G went 8-9

SEC had 6 teams in

B1G had 9

It's almost a toss up aside from the committee putting in 3 extra B1G teams. The logical conclusion is they thought B1G was a stronger conference, but then SEC did slightly better in the tourney.

B1G went 8-9

SEC had 6 teams in

B1G had 9

It's almost a toss up aside from the committee putting in 3 extra B1G teams. The logical conclusion is they thought B1G was a stronger conference, but then SEC did slightly better in the tourney.
Exactly! Kofi goes up against plenty of good bigs in the Big Ten.

as far as Kofi - depends on what he wants.

If his #1 priority is making a run at a national championship, then there are a relative handful of teams he would be considering.

If going to the NBA is his #1 priority, then he can basically go anywhere he wants, because the NBA will find you even at a school that is not one of the "blue bloods."

His top concerns could be geographic - he could want to go to a warm-weather city.

there could be family concerns. he might want to play with a buddy. who knows.

Ok sounds good! Your basically saying if Kofi plays in the SEC he instantly becomes better in the scouts eyes because he's not in Big anymore and in the SEC.
I didn't say anything of the sort. I simply said that playing another season in this league wouldn't help him much (unless he developed some new skills) because he already dominated in this league.

B1G went 8-9

SEC had 6 teams in

B1G had 9

It has nothing to do with success in the tourney. The SEC had 72 players who played in the NBA last year while the Big Ten had 42. Obviously the NBA thinks more highly of SEC players.

If you're going to research something, research relevant stuff instead of irrelevant shit. But, then again, maybe you're one of those who can't distinguish between the two.

It has nothing to do with success in the tourney. The SEC had 72 players who played in the NBA last year while the Big Ten had 42. Obviously the NBA thinks more highly of SEC players.

If you're going to research something, research relevant stuff instead of irrelevant shit. But, then again, maybe you're one of those who can't distinguish between the two.

Part of it is no doubt the style the B1G plays, but it also as to do with some simple geography. While kids are not necessarily attached to representing their states, they do still typically stay within their region. SEC and ACC schools are geographically closer to a large amount of better basketball players that B1G schools. Same can be said for ACC schools. Either way I don't think it has any reason why Kofi is leaving. He's considering leaving because the assistant to brought him in left to go back to Kentucky.

So there you have it straight from the "experts" relevant keyboard! This crap is what turns a lot of people off on this board.

What's the average recruiting ranking for the SEC v. the B1G over the last few years or so? It seems to me like the SEC had more one and done type players (just a hunch, no data to back that up). So yeah, the NBA might favor the SEC players because they might be more talented. But I think the B1G is better basketball.

Over 30 of those players came from Kentucky! They have been the feeder school for the NBA with reloads every year. That tilts the scale much more than style of play. The next highest school in those conference have 11.

Over 30 of those players came from Kentucky! They have been the feeder school for the NBA with reloads every year. That tilts the scale much more than style of play. The next highest school in those conference have 11.
This is actually a good point, if Kofi is playing AT Kentucky, it's hard to say his competition is better in the SEC than it would be in the Big 10.

The truth is, the difference in levels of competition would have absolutely nothing to do with Kofi's potential draft stock.

OK, but there wasn't a single Big Ten school who had as many as the 2nd place SEC team. Three Big Ten teams had 8.

Part of it is no doubt the style the B1G plays, but it also as to do with some simple geography. While kids are not necessarily attached to representing their states, they do still typically stay within their region. SEC and ACC schools are geographically closer to a large amount of better basketball players that B1G schools. Same can be said for ACC schools. Either way I don't think it has any reason why Kofi is leaving. He's considering leaving because the assistant to brought him in left to go back to Kentucky.

I don't think the league he chooses to play in next season (if that's what he does) is going to be the major factor in his draft position but it might be a minor factor. My point was that, if he's going to return to school, I don't see the point in returning to a conference that he dominated already.

I don't think the league he chooses to play in next season (if that's what he does) is going to be the major factor in his draft position but it might be a minor factor. My point was that, if he's going to return to school, I don't see the point in returning to a conference that he dominated already.
I'm pretty sure if you can dominate the best conference as some think the big ten is, you can probably dominate the 4th or 5th best conference also.

I'm pretty sure if you can dominate the best conference as some think the big ten is, you can probably dominate the 4th or 5th best conference also.
The SEC also plays different in the Big Ten. If Kofi can play in a faster paced league that will probably help his draft position.

Agree. The good big man in the league Kofi, Dickinson and Williams came back to school basically because the NBA said they were not ready. The player of the year in the Big Ten Garza might not get drafted. All are strong but lack lateral quickness and stink in pick and roll defense.

Maybe a change in conference might help Kofi’s development. Pace of play tempo forced to step out and guard people. Who knows?

All I know is the big ten was doo doo in the tourney except Michigan

Agree. The good big man in the league Kofi, Dickinson and Williams came back to school basically because the NBA said they were not ready. The player of the year in the Big Ten Garza might not get drafted. All are strong but lack lateral quickness and stink in pick and roll defense.

Maybe a change in conference might help Kofi’s development. Pace of play tempo forced to step out and guard people. Who knows?

All I know is the big ten was doo doo in the tourney except Michigan
The B1G is a physical conference. So we are told.

Top Bottom