Eric Curry

It’s literally no cost to us. He doesn’t cost us on scholarship count as it’s free due to covid. Hes a smart and high character guy who was going to be a grad assistant and be around anyways. This doesn’t need to sway the needle forward much for anyone, but it really should be impossible to sway it the other way. It’s not like he is going to detour someone else from signing here if they wanted too. Really a no lose deal here
Totally get that, and if we had the other 2 scholarships filled, probably wouldnt have thought two things of it. Just has the smell of desperation. Im just saying if lets say Manley and Garcia (or pick your 2 bigs we were trying for) were both in the fold, do you think Curry makes this decision? I have my doubts.

Right now I'd say Ihnen but don't give up hope of getting another front court player yet.
I know TT will play the 5 so Curry could slide to the 4 if they are in together. Ihnen can defend the 5, I struggle to see this version of Curry defending most 4s

I know TT will play the 5 so Curry could slide to the 4 if they are in together. Ihnen can defend the 5, I struggle to see this version of Curry defending most 4s
While I agree to a point, none of us know what the current version of Curry is. Coach Johnson did say he was happy how Curry was doing physically so there is a chance that he is more mobile than last year. Maybe that's why he chose to give it a go? Maybe he feels he can prove that he still has the ability to play at this level? I hope so.

Press release from the U:
Eric Curry Set to Return for 2021-22 Campaign

MINNEAPOLIS - University of Minnesota men's basketball redshirt senior Eric Curry has announced that he will be returning for an additional year of competition next season. Curry is exercising his option under NCAA guidelines to compete in an extra season of competition due to the COVID-19 pandemic. Curry, a 6-9 forward from Memphis, Tenn., will also wear No. 1 for his final season.

Curry has been a part of the Golden Gophers program since his freshman year in 2016-17. During his career, Curry has played in 78 career games, averaged 18.2 minutes played, 4.6 points per game and 4.0 rebounds per game. Curry sat out the entire 2017-18 and 2019-20 seasons due to injury, as well as missing 12 games at the start of the 2018-19 season. Curry, however, persevered and came back to play in all 29 games during the 2020-21 campaign where he averaged 15.9 minutes played, 3.7 ppg and 3.1 rbg.

I'm so incredibly excited for Eric," head coach Ben Johnson said. "I'm happy with how he is feeling physically first and foremost, and that he is hungry to compete and lead for one more year. I know he is pumped to be able to wear the Maroon and Gold and we are just as thrilled to have him back with us."

While I agree to a point, none of us know what the current version of Curry is. Coach Johnson did say he was happy how Curry was doing physically so there is a chance that he is more mobile than last year. Maybe that's why he chose to give it a go? Maybe he feels he can prove that he still has the ability to play at this level? I hope so.
I like Curry a lot. Seems like a great human. Just hard to get excited about adding him to the active roster.

Press release from the U:
Eric Curry Set to Return for 2021-22 Campaign

MINNEAPOLIS - University of Minnesota men's basketball redshirt senior Eric Curry has announced that he will be returning for an additional year of competition next season. Curry is exercising his option under NCAA guidelines to compete in an extra season of competition due to the COVID-19 pandemic. Curry, a 6-9 forward from Memphis, Tenn., will also wear No. 1 for his final season.

Curry has been a part of the Golden Gophers program since his freshman year in 2016-17. During his career, Curry has played in 78 career games, averaged 18.2 minutes played, 4.6 points per game and 4.0 rebounds per game. Curry sat out the entire 2017-18 and 2019-20 seasons due to injury, as well as missing 12 games at the start of the 2018-19 season. Curry, however, persevered and came back to play in all 29 games during the 2020-21 campaign where he averaged 15.9 minutes played, 3.7 ppg and 3.1 rbg.

I'm so incredibly excited for Eric," head coach Ben Johnson said. "I'm happy with how he is feeling physically first and foremost, and that he is hungry to compete and lead for one more year. I know he is pumped to be able to wear the Maroon and Gold and we are just as thrilled to have him back with us."
This is great news! Now, let's see if Ben Johnson can find a center hiding someplace.

It will be interesting to see him in an offense that actually tries to generate shots for a variety of people, he may look a lot better, he's not going to succeed in a situation where it is create your own hero ball at this point. Against the majority of centers he will do just fine defensively, if you get against a guy like Cockburn you help him out.

We are going to be bad this year...doesn't matter who fills the last spots....bad is what we will be. Not sure why all the hand wringing and drama...this is a year zero rebuild. In 2 years if we are still rebuilding then the Pitino firing was obviously a mistake...but we won't know for a couple years so lets enjoy the ride, hope for some good in the midst of a bad year.

We are going to be bad this year...doesn't matter who fills the last spots....bad is what we will be. Not sure why all the hand wringing and drama...this is a year zero rebuild. In 2 years if we are still rebuilding then the Pitino firing was obviously a mistake...but we won't know for a couple years so lets enjoy the ride, hope for some good in the midst of a bad year.

Yeah, I think once the mass exodus occurred, we all knew it was going to be bad for this coming season. I hope we don't write any new negative records. All the hype around the 3 point shooting capability is from lower levels of competition. If history is any indicator, the numbers will not translate over to the B1G on "average"

I like Curry a lot. Seems like a great human. Just hard to get excited about adding him to the active roster.
Why do you think we are meant to 'get excited' about this? Read the quote below. Does Johnson say ANYTHING to suggest that they are expecting Curry to compete for playing time?

The first line of the quote says it all. He is excited for Eric. He's given up a LOT to the sport. Why not give the man a non-counter?

"I'm so incredibly excited for Eric," head coach Ben Johnson said. "I'm happy with how he is feeling physically first and foremost, and that he is hungry to compete and lead for one more year. I know he is pumped to be able to wear the Maroon and Gold and we are just as thrilled to have him back with us."

Was listening to podcast with Doogie. He said Manley is leaning 60/40 in favor of turning pro. If he does decide to go back to college, then Gophers would apparently be his top choice. Also said looks like Steffon Mitchell will end up at San Diego State.

Who on the roster will play the 5 while Curry plays the 4?
Well, that is my point. Most people talk about him as a center but I see him as a center only in a pinch to rest a guy. We need an experienced talented center. For center we have Thompson who should be a backup or redshirt due to his inexperience and need to add mass. We have Charlie Daniels who has experience but not a particularly impressive stats, but if I recall right, it sounded like his defensive intensity may be worthy to make up for some of that lack of statistical reputation. If Manley (or some other established cedter) decides to join the gophers, we are in good shape.

I’m happy to have him around the program regardless of his role and hope he can have a good year. He is easy to cheer for and sounds like a good leader. Would he be considered a super duper senior?

Why do you think we are meant to 'get excited' about this? Read the quote below. Does Johnson say ANYTHING to suggest that they are expecting Curry to compete for playing time?

The first line of the quote says it all. He is excited for Eric. He's given up a LOT to the sport. Why not give the man a non-counter?

"I'm so incredibly excited for Eric," head coach Ben Johnson said. "I'm happy with how he is feeling physically first and foremost, and that he is hungry to compete and lead for one more year. I know he is pumped to be able to wear the Maroon and Gold and we are just as thrilled to have him back with us."
I don’t disagree with why they are doing it but when a new coach comes in and they are bleeding STHs you’d want to excite the fan base a bit. They certainly have not done that with this incoming group. Do I think Curry deserves it? Of course. But he will get minutes. That’s the issue.

No problem with Curry playing another season but it’s probably time for him and the U to move on.

I probably need to have a knee surgery soon (self diagnosed meniscus tear), but I really do not understand knee surgery anymore like I once thought I did, post MCL strains and MRIs years ago.

Most young players seem to bounce back to pre-injury form after an ACL surgery, going back to far back beyond the Robert Smith era, even though some probably recall people from the earlier days with big visible scars and a barely functioning knee from 1980s techniques.

It is pretty rare for a high profile player to blow out a knee or two and completely lose his skills. Obviously it happens, and Eric C seems to be an example of this, as his lift and quickness seemed to be completely gone last year.

Any thoughts on whether these limitations might pass for someone under 30, if given more time to recover? Does one more year change things for the better?

Could Curry possibly be 80 percent of what he was at some point? Maybe his doctors know the answer, but it does seem rare in today's world for knee injuries to destroy a young player like has happened to Curry.

I can only assume your point here is something like "if we're going to lose the conference games anyway, I'd rather lose them with high-character guys who have the right attitude".
Nothing about how i think has anything to do with losing. The high character piece is a solid way to build a foundation. So much of this process is about how you go about it.Suppose if we were to say that we will lose a lot then yes, it will be worth doing it with high character kids , especially in year one. I remember a national championship coach telling me that he had to find guys who could lose and not come apart to get to the winning.

First off Curry seems like a GREAT kid, one you definitely want in and around your program. On a personal level I'm very happy for him.

But if I'm being honest, I see this as a failure. Curry is clearly not anything close to what his fr year showed and medically retired. Now months into Johnsons first year, we are whiffing so bad on every target that we essentially need to talk Curry out of quitting because our post spot is so bleak? Again, we seem to be taking every fall back option. Outside of Battle who was a super high priority that we beat anyone of note for? I kept hearing "just wait for July 7th" we will pick up all kinds of guys! So far we picked up 1 who was ready to never play CBB again. #underwhelemed
He doesn't count against the scholarship limit. We still have 3 more scholarships to give...this is only good news

I’m not sure you can call it a rebuild or even year zero? We could be looking for 8 to 12 new guys following this coming season all over again.
And just because you are 7 feet tall doesn’t automatically make you a center.

If you are a recruit who has offers from established programs, why would you believe 8,9 guys will follow you and you’ll compete for titles as a Gopher?

Happy for Eric but it’s a November announcement. In July it cries desperate.

I’m not sure you can call it a rebuild or even year zero? We could be looking for 8 to 12 new guys following this coming season all over again.
And just because you are 7 feet tall doesn’t automatically make you a center.

If you are a recruit who has offers from established programs, why would you believe 8,9 guys will follow you and you’ll compete for titles as a Gopher?

Happy for Eric but it’s a November announcement. In July it cries desperate.
What position do 7 foot players play besides Kevin Durant and Chet Holmgren?

Top Bottom