Doug Gottlieb: Brian Dutcher isn’t leaving Montezuma Mesa for Minneapolis.

Well, from one angle you can say he did that because (a) he knew Ricky wasn't going to last at MN and (b) when they fire him that gives SD a reason to give him a nice bump to his contract. Smart planning on his part to get a raise. Pick the place where the coach is going to get fired into your opt-out clause so you get a raise to stay put. IMO, he put it in there because he wants to come back to MN, but the other angle works too...
I mean, maybe, but there are easier ways to get a raise than that level of 5-D chess.

If I were in Dutcher's shoes, I'd stay in SD and get a nice raise. Too nice of a gig.
I listened to the podcasts with him, Gates, and Musselman (on the Basketball Immersion podcast with Chris Oliver).

Dutcher mentioned that a lot of his success is due to his longtime staff. Maybe he was just being polite to them, but it seems like they are a reason he is winning and I wonder if those guys would want to come with. David Velasquez and Mark Fisher have both been there for 19 seasons. Matt Soria (Director of Basketball Operations) has been there for 21. Those are Jerry Kill levels of continuity!

The other guys seem to have been there for 2-4 seasons total.

I lived in SoCal for 4 years, now I live in southern Oregon. It would be realllllly hard for me to come back to the MN climate after establishing a life out here.

isnt that where Clint Eastwood lives?

Pretty much all of Southern California near the (ocean) is super crowded. The freeway traffic between LA and SD is never ending. Its expensive, but the weather is nearly perfect all the time and its near the ocean. MN is great except for 1 to 2 months of absolute misery every year.
Tehama for Clint, really Carmel Valley. Moved from Pebble Beach to Tehama years ago. He was our Mayor for a bit.

Another factor is that he's probably taken SDSU as far as it can go, and frankly, got robbed of his best team last year. We obviously have a long way to go, but the ceiling here is still higher.

I lived in SoCal for 4 years, now I live in southern Oregon. It would be realllllly hard for me to come back to the MN climate after establishing a life out here.

It's hard. I was here for about 10 months from 19-20. Went back to SD, then came back a few months ago.

If it wasnt for the covid shut-downs, I would have stayed. Ultimately decided I'll give MN another try. If I never would have moved away to the west coast so many many years ago, i suppose it would be different.

It's hard. I was here for about 10 months from 19-20. Went back to SD, then came back a few months ago.

If it wasnt for the covid shut-downs, I would have stayed. Ultimately decided I'll give MN another try. If I never would have moved away to the west coast so many many years ago, i suppose it would be different.
Good luck to you! Hope it works out.

I did come back to the midwest for a few years (St. Louis and Iowa City) due to my wife's career. While there are things I love about it, and Minneapolis will always hold a special place for me...I will always live out west because of the weather (temps and humidity) and outdoor opportunities.

Good luck to you! Hope it works out.

I did come back to the midwest for a few years (St. Louis and Iowa City) due to my wife's career. While there are things I love about it, and Minneapolis will always hold a special place for me...I will always live out west because of the weather (temps and humidity) and outdoor opportunities.
You probably know this, but neither of those cities would be top ten (or 20) to move to in the Midwest. What I do find interesting is that while it is hard to get people to move here (Twin Cities), most stay if they do. In HR so have recruited folks from all areas.

Someone else on here said that Dutcher had that lower buyout written in as a fallback in case he ever needed to come back to Minnesota for life circumstances. Take that FWIW
Also can be used as a bargaining chip for his current team. So he can get a higher raise knowing one day mn would someday call.

"America's Finest City" is literally the nickname of San Diego. Google "America's Finest City" and look what comes up. Having lived there, the nickname fits the bill for many reasons, not all, but many.

Go Gophers!!

What other cities have you lived in or visited? What's the basis of you opinion???

My aunt and uncle lived there when he was deployed there (navy), but they came back. They missed family; they missed the change of seasons. They missed thunderstorms! There was one thunderstorm the entire time they lived there.
My Dad was also stationed there for a while while in the Navy. Also moved back once he finished his commitment.

Somebody tell New York that San Diego is America's finest city.
Sorry. You clearly have never been to San Diego. I couldn’t afford to pay attention there but my God what a place to live and “work”

You probably know this, but neither of those cities would be top ten (or 20) to move to in the Midwest. What I do find interesting is that while it is hard to get people to move here (Twin Cities), most stay if they do. In HR so have recruited folks from all areas.
Out of curiosity, what would your rough ranking of the top 10 or 20 look like? Everybody has their own preferences obviously.

What other cities have you lived in or visited? What's the basis of you opinion???

I've lived in Los Angeles, New York City, Hong Kong, Pittsburgh, Austin, and Minneapolis.

I much prefer San Diego to New York City. It's obviously entirely up to someone's personal preferences.

Sorry. You clearly have never been to San Diego. I couldn’t afford to pay attention there but my God what a place to live and “work”
Don't take my post too seriously. Have never been to San Diego but have visited Los Angeles and Orange County many times, and I love that area to death. If I could afford a certain standard of living there...and I didn't have many, many ties and obligations here...and my wife wouldn't live anywhere else but here...you get the idea.

I did have a few college classmates who moved to SoCal after graduation, and every one of them came back to settle here. Not saying they were right, but once you get a place in your blood...

Sorry, I didn't realize a message board was a one-on-one conversation.

That's the other thing that sucks about NYC, New Yorkers have the thinnest skins in the world when it comes to anyone not loving their city.
This is turning out to be really great thread!

That's the other thing that sucks about NYC, New Yorkers have the thinnest skins in the world when it comes to anyone not loving their city.

It was a joke obviously, my dear kiddo.

I actually find lawyers to be especially sensitive - who knew reptiles had feelings?

Aren't they also number 1 for rats running around everywhere?

Aren't they also number 1 for rats running around everywhere?
Pizza kind of sucks too.

New Yorkers are such fools that New Yorkers in other cities will only eat bagels from places that fly in their water from New York. They'll tell it to you like it makes sense.

Admitting you have a problem is the first step in recovery!!

Are there any RA meetings you can attend??

I didn't know sensitivity was something one needed recovery from. What's an RA Meeting?

Neat meme. I think I saw my aunt use that on Facebook in 2002.

Top Bottom