Doug Gottlieb: Brian Dutcher isn’t leaving Montezuma Mesa for Minneapolis.

Someone else on here said that Dutcher had that lower buyout written in as a fallback in case he ever needed to come back to Minnesota for life circumstances. Take that FWIW
I remember that. It doesn’t really make sense to me. It’s not like the job comes open every year. He probably will have to wait a minimum of 4 more years before it were to come open again, and at that point the current contract he signed with SDSU will only have one year left.

And if it truly is only for special life circumstances...His 88 year old dad lives in MN now

Not saying I necessarily think he’s the guy, but I’d be very surprised if he turned down a reasonable deal (~$2m per year) from the Gophers

My aunt and uncle lived there when he was deployed there (navy), but they came back. They missed family; they missed the change of seasons. They missed thunderstorms! There was one thunderstorm the entire time they lived there.
I heard the same weather thing from some people when I lived in Hawaii. Never made sense to me. Nearly everyday was a perfect weather day. They were basically saying they missed bad weather. Would someone complain about having too much money. .. .boy I wish there was some days where I was worried if I could meet my bills, this whole never being worried about my bills thing is monotonous. weird.

Somebody tell New York that San Diego is America's finest city.

Been to NY plenty of times, lived in San Diego for a while.

If you like the big city feel, NY is #1

If you prefer an easy going city with near perfect weather year round, SD is #1

It's also incredibly expensive, overcrowded and knowing Spanish is a must.

Hahaha, i love the borderline racist comment on knowing spanish is a must.

Dumbest take ever, but well played. Some sht i'd say to my friends to keep them away from moving to san diego.

The reason is so expensive is that way too many people want to live there, but unlike NY, they will never build out the city to create enough housing supply.

San Diegans like it better as it is.

so please keep promoting why you shouldnt move there

FYI, it is NOT overcrowded. You might be thinking LA

I heard the same weather thing from some people when I lived in Hawaii. Never made sense to me. Nearly everyday was a perfect weather day. They were basically saying they missed bad weather. Would someone complain about having too much money. .. .boy I wish there was some days where I was worried if I could meet my bills, this whole never being worried about my bills thing is monotonous. weird.
I don't think it's a matter of bad weather vs good weather; I think it's a matter of interesting weather vs boring weather. I just saw someone tweet the other day about her favorite weather, and the photo was of a thunderhead.

He is 88 and things can change quickly but I think I would have heard if it was grave.
Take it from me. I would love to retire to Arizona, but I have a 93 year old mother in assisted living and I can't just leave her for the entire winter. The draw of family, especially at Brian's age is really strong. San Diego might be a great place, but to have access to you parents at this point in your life might be the draw...Just Sayin'

Unless its for family or Dutcher really is such a die hard fan. He can more than afford to live and retire in San Diego.

I wouldn't have moved back to MN if I was making the kind of money he makes there

why in the hell would he have a buy out clause in his contract then..... eyeroll
Well, from one angle you can say he did that because (a) he knew Ricky wasn't going to last at MN and (b) when they fire him that gives SD a reason to give him a nice bump to his contract. Smart planning on his part to get a raise. Pick the place where the coach is going to get fired into your opt-out clause so you get a raise to stay put. IMO, he put it in there because he wants to come back to MN, but the other angle works too...

Dumbest take ever, but well played. Some sht i'd say to my friends to keep them away from moving to san diego.

The reason is so expensive is that way too many people want to live there, but unlike NY, they will never build out the city to create enough housing supply.

I have family in the San Diego area...Been there a handful of times the last twenty years....It has become much more expensive and crowded, than when I first visited....Its also incredibly populated by Hispanics now....Not racist, a fact.

I don't think it's a matter of bad weather vs good weather; I think it's a matter of interesting weather vs boring weather. I just saw someone tweet the other day about her favorite weather, and the photo was of a thunderhead.

You know how Minnesotans come out in masses the moment its like 45 and sunny?

In San Diego, the times that it is cloudy (about 3 solid weeks of the year) and the times it rains/bordering on thunder storm (about a full week of the year) its a similar effect expect we/they enjoy having a reason to stay inside and relax.

It honestly personal preference. Why some people love Montana or the desert or the winters in MN. To each there own, doesn't make one place better or worse than the other objectively (unless you're looking at crime statistics, etc etc)

This guy has no idea and just has a gut feeling.

But, there is something to be said about being in comfortable in a job. For SDSU the expectations are to be at the top of their conference and make trips to the NCAA. They fans are happy, he gets the best recruits compared to his competition. It is a challenge that is totally under his control. Hanging banners most every year. It is not having the stress to complete with the top teams in the B1G that are fighting for a National Title. Losing a half of your conference road games on a good year.. Not everyone is attracted to the money and the expectations that go along with it.

Well, from one angle you can say he did that because (a) he knew Ricky wasn't going to last at MN and (b) when they fire him that gives SD a reason to give him a nice bump to his contract. Smart planning on his part to get a raise. Pick the place where the coach is going to get fired into your opt-out clause so you get a raise to stay put. IMO, he put it in there because he wants to come back to MN, but the other angle works too...
I don’t think they could give him much of a bump. In September the SDSU AD was quoted as saying “We generate Mountain West conference-level revenue. When you look at it from that standpoint, we are paying the max that we can pay. “

I have family in the San Diego area...Been there a handful of times the last twenty years....It has become much more expensive and crowded, than when I first visited....Its also incredibly populated by Hispanics now....Not racist, a fact.

Where in San Diego?

What is a handful and where did you go?

Of course its become much more expensive, do you think gas is still $1 a gallon. It's how the world works. Thanks Captain Obvious.

Has is grown the last 20 years, for sure. If you go to Petco you'll see photos of downtown from the 1980s and now. Night and day, but if you think how it is now it's overcrowded like you mentioned. I'll assume you like the small town life and don't live near Minneapolis or St. Paul. Which is fine. But for a city to say San Diego is overcrowded, it's not. NY, SF, LA, Chicago those places are overcrowded

Yes, a lot of Hispanics, but unless you go eat Mexican everyday in the most hole in the wall places, the rest of places where you interact with Hispanics, they all speak perfectly conversational English.

Hence borderline racist, when you make it seem when you go to La Jolla or North Park you have to know spanish. 99.9% of my friends there don't speak more than "cerveza" and they've never said anything close to that.

borderline racist but i find it hilarious

Where in San Diego?

What is a handful and where did you go?

Of course its become much more expensive, do you think gas is still $1 a gallon. It's how the world works. Thanks Captain Obvious.

Has is grown the last 20 years, for sure. If you go to Petco you'll see photos of downtown from the 1980s and now. Night and day, but if you think how it is now it's overcrowded like you mentioned. I'll assume you like the small town life and don't live near Minneapolis or St. Paul. Which is fine. But for a city to say San Diego is overcrowded, it's not. NY, SF, LA, Chicago those places are overcrowded

Yes, a lot of Hispanics, but unless you go eat Mexican everyday in the most hole in the wall places, the rest of places where you interact with Hispanics, they all speak perfectly conversational English.

Hence borderline racist, when you make it seem when you go to La Jolla or North Park you have to know spanish. 99.9% of my friends there don't speak more than "cerveza" and they've never said anything close to that.

borderline racist but i find it hilarious
They live in Carlsbad....I live in a populous suburb of Minneapolis....The median home in San Diego is more than double Minneapolis..The cost of living in San Diego is 6 percent more than the average California city....That is significant.

Someone else on here said that Dutcher had that lower buyout written in as a fallback in case he ever needed to come back to Minnesota for life circumstances. Take that FWIW
Yep...$6.9 million for all others, $1 million for the U.

Was going to say, over crowded is not something I hear about San Diego.

They live in Carlsbad....I live in a populous suburb of Minneapolis....The median home in San Diego is more than double Minneapolis..The cost of living in San Diego is 6 percent more than the average California city....That is significant.
Yet the per capita income is the same, just had close family move to MSP from Rancho Bernardo last month.

You're correct. That's San Diego, LA and SF for you. It's been expensive for a while.

Big reason why I moved back here, I didn't want to pay $600,000 for 1200 sq ft in north park. made no sense and Im not moving to riverside or back to Las Vegas to get something cheaper.

To each their own on where we think it is the best place to live. I prefer my hometown of Carmel by the Sea. Some people prefer Duluth. Time will tell where Dutcher wants to be and does he want the cauldron that is the Big 10. For the record, not a fan of Doug Gottleib but he very plugged in on all things Southern California Basketball. Still does not mean he knows. Is Dutcher even the guy Coyle wants ?

To each their own on where we think it is the best place to live. I prefer my hometown of Carmel by the Sea. Some people prefer Duluth. Time will tell where Dutcher wants to be and does he want the cauldron that is the Big 10. For the record, not a fan of Doug Gottleib but he very plugged in on all things Southern California Basketball. Still does not mean he knows. Is Dutcher even the guy Coyle wants ?
Ever go to the Gilroy Garlic Festival? My wife and I have talked about coming back just for that.

This guy has no idea and just has a gut feeling.

But, there is something to be said about being in comfortable in a job. For SDSU the expectations are to be at the top of their conference and make trips to the NCAA. They fans are happy, he gets the best recruits compared to his competition. It is a challenge that is totally under his control. Hanging banners most every year. It is not having the stress to complete with the top teams in the B1G that are fighting for a National Title. Losing a half of your conference road games on a good year.. Not everyone is attracted to the money and the expectations that go along with it.
I can see that, but I look at it as he's 61 years old, he literally grew up in the Big Ten with his father, as a student at the U, and later for 9 years an assistant at Michigan. If he's ever going to be a head coach in the best conference in the country, one that's in his DNA, and measuring up against many of the best coaches in the game, this is realistically his last best chance. I think he's a competitor and wants to end his career as the head guy at a program that means something to him. Feels like it would be a regret if he has the chance and doesn't take it, comfort and great weather be damned.

I remember that. It doesn’t really make sense to me. It’s not like the job comes open every year. He probably will have to wait a minimum of 4 more years before it were to come open again, and at that point the current contract he signed with SDSU will only have one year left.

And if it truly is only for special life circumstances...His 88 year old dad lives in MN now

Not saying I necessarily think he’s the guy, but I’d be very surprised if he turned down a reasonable deal (~$2m per year) from the Gophers
Pretty sure there are no qualifiers...it's just less because he wants to take the issue off the table to come here.

isnt that where Clint Eastwood lives?

Pretty much all of Southern California near the (ocean) is super crowded. The freeway traffic between LA and SD is never ending. Its expensive, but the weather is nearly perfect all the time and its near the ocean. MN is great except for 1 to 2 months of absolute misery every year.

This is the main reason why I don't think he is coming. From everything I've seen/heard Dutcher is on the list but not top 3 right now.

Top Bottom