Doogie: I have every reason to believe Richard Pitino WILL be back as Gophers coach, there are just no signs

The number of people on this board that accept far below average work astounds me. Do your businesses have openings!?!? I would love to come aboard, disappoint you about 70% of the time and wait for you to heap me with praise while blaming bad luck for all my mistakes, what a world! #Smith2020

The number of people on this board that accept far below average work astounds me. Do your businesses have openings!?!? I would love to come aboard, disappoint you about 70% of the time and wait for you to heap me with praise while blaming bad luck for all my mistakes, what a world! #Smith2020

I work for the U

you have no problem accepting below average in your own life...hypocrite

Separate TV markets, with Dayton’s of comparable size to Omaha’s. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_United_States_television_markets

P6 have schools <= 45mins apart.

Yada, yada, we could go round and round, but let’s not. I’m happy to admit that Dayton probably won’t get a Big East invite.

I would assume that the Big East will come calling for some school soon. With UConn entering to make it 11 schools I would think they want a dozen to make it easier for scheduling and their Tourney, though at 11 they could still play double round robin and 20 games.

Dayton makes the most since in terms of pedigree. If not them than who? St Louis? UMass?

I would assume that the Big East will come calling for some school soon. With UConn entering to make it 11 schools I would think they want a dozen to make it easier for scheduling and their Tourney, though at 11 they could still play double round robin and 20 games.

Dayton makes the most since in terms of pedigree. If not them than who? St Louis? UMass?
St thomas?

I have no problem with Coyle retaining Pitino, but not sure that hearing nothing is newsworthy.

St Louis makes sense to me, but who knows.

I can not be right because i have no clue who Mr. Coyle would want or can get. The group i talk with wants Grant. Fully trust Coyle to do what he thinks is best. Season plays out first.
Really! The same guy that couldn’t get it done in his first 7 years at Alabama? The guy that goes to a mid major to rebuild his career and just now stumbles across a new style of play that is finally watchable? This would be a substantial down grade from Pitino!

https://www.midmajormadness.com/202...l-alabama-tide-ncaa-tournament-obi-toppin-nba

Really! The same guy that couldn’t get it done in his first 7 years at Alabama? The guy that goes to a mid major to rebuild his career and just now stumbles across a new style of play that is finally watchable? This would be a substantial down grade from Pitino!

https://www.midmajormadness.com/202...l-alabama-tide-ncaa-tournament-obi-toppin-nba

You need to look at Grant's record a little more closely.

Grant was at Alabama for 6 years. He didn't do a great job there but he had only one losing season and 3 20+ win seasons. He did make only one NCAA tournament while at Alabama.

But, Grant had admirable success at VCU and Dayton and those account for 6 years of his head coaching experience. So, Grant has had 12 years of head coaching experience with three different programs and has had 8 seasons of 20 or more wins. Grant has had only 2 losing seasons in 12 years.

Pitino has had 3 losing seasons in 7 years and one was arguably the worst season in program history.

Currently at Dayton, Grant is delivering the opposite of what Pitino delivered in his tenure: the very best year in program history.

Clearly Grant has a much better overall resume than Pitino

I would rather have a coaching hire like Grant, who has a lengthy head coaching career, has had his ups and downs, and has had fair-to-very-good success at 3 different programs than some very young coach who has had one or two good years with one program.

Built VCU, was above .500 in a power 6 conference at a school that has a mediocre history.
6 years for Grant and this is Badger. Above 500. An from the guy that never ever makes an excuse. Power 6 with a mediocre history!!!! Excuses from Badger. Where is Badger and his call for winning the conference?????
Yet for a Rp the standard is different.
Badger is a dishonest pos.

You need to look at Grant's record a little more closely.

Grant was at Alabama for 6 years. He didn't do a great job there but he had only one losing season and 3 20+ win seasons. He did make only one NCAA tournament while at Alabama.

But, Grant had admirable success at VCU and Dayton and those account for 6 years of his head coaching experience. So, Grant has had 12 years of head coaching experience with three different programs and has had 8 seasons of 20 or more wins. Grant has had only 2 losing seasons in 12 years.

Pitino has had 3 losing seasons in 7 years and one was arguably the worst season in program history.

Currently at Dayton, Grant is delivering the opposite of what Pitino delivered in his tenure: the very best year in program history.

Clearly Grant has a much better overall resume than Pitino

I would rather have a coaching hire like Grant, who has a lengthy head coaching career, has had his ups and downs, and has had fair-to-very-good success at 3 different programs than some very young coach who has had one or two good years with one program.

NO. FLIPPING. WAY.

Built VCU, was above .500 in a power 6 conference at a school that has a mediocre history.
Your own standards you have repeatedly used are that great coaches win a conference title or show that ability in 3 years. Grant had 6 at Alabama. So Shouldn’t we know already that he isn’t good enough? Maybe better than Pitino, but not what we are looking for here, right? For the first time in history BarnBurner might have a point. Seems your view of Grant is pretty hypocritical. There must be much better candidates to go after.

Your own standards you have repeatedly used are that great coaches win a conference title or show that ability in 3 years. Grant had 6 at Alabama. So Shouldn’t we know already that he isn’t good enough? Maybe better than Pitino, but not what we are looking for here, right? For the first time in history BarnBurner might have a point. Seems your view of Grant is pretty hypocritical. There must be much better candidates to go after.
Shared who several high profile boosters like, refuse to list my favorites until the job is open. We still have games for the coach we have to win his job.

Pay attention wag. You need an education.

If pitino, then is Coyle all in on football at the expense of other men’s teams? Aside from football, is there a men’s program on the upswing instead of getting worse?

Speaking for myself, I can live with whatever direction we go. However, if we go through the pain of making a change I for one want it to be a homerun, not just a different guy or a possible upgrade or a perceived upgrade. I think Coyle will get that done or he will leave Pitino in place. We don't want to do this again for 15-20 years if possible. I think Anthony Grant does have a better body of work than Pitino at this point. Better enough to be worth the change? I don't know.

Here is a bit I found on Grant - it's not bad, but not thrilling either:

Anthony Grant apparently will join the Thunder staff. Nothing from the Thunder yet, but Florida media is reporting that Grant will join Billy Donovan in the NBA.
Grant spent six years as head coach of Alabama. He was fired in March and hired at Florida to join Donovan's staff. We contacted an Alabama sports journalist, just to get his take on Grant. Here's what he shared with us:
"I think he’s a really good X-and-O guy. He seems to be a really good guy.
"He’s also about the worst with the media that I have ever dealt with. Good example, two seasons ago he set his preseason press conference (last coach in the SEC to do so) for like 1 o’clock on a Tuesday. At 10 a.m. we got an email saying it had moved to Wednesday at 1. At 10 a.m. on Wednesday we got an email saying it had moved to Thursday at 1. He actually stuck to that. Sometimes his weekly pressers would move from 2 p.m. before practice to 5 p.m. after practice -- and you’d find that out when you got there for the 2 p.m. one. And so on and so on.
"But he really kept to himself. Biggest knock (besides not winning) was that he was bad with the press and did zero to sell the program or out in the community to raise the profile.
"We did a story going into this past season where we (obtained) actual attendance -- i.e., how many showed up, not just how many tickets sold or distributed -- and it had fallen below 4,000, which is horrible.
"He gets strong marks on recruiting good citizens -- Levi Randolph, a senior on this year’s team, became the first academic All-American in Alabama men’s basketball history, and his graduation rates were very high -- but not necessarily great players. See the results. He’s a strong disciplinarian, probably cost himself an NCAA Tournament bid a couple of years ago when they were on the bubble and he suspended three starters for the stretch run of the season. Two returned, one quit.
"He’ll probably be a good assistant in the NBA because he doesn’t have to do all those other things. Everybody I ever talked to who really knows about these things says his basketball knowledge and film breakdown and such were among the best they’d ever been around. His people skills, not so much. And he wasn’t a very emotional guy or a great in-game motiva
tor on the bench, very passive."

Outside of Kentucky, the SEC was terrible while Grant was at Alabama. He went 12-4 in conference play in his second season and still couldn't make the NCAA tournament.

Grant always had highly rated recruits at Alabama, but they always underachieved. Taking over for Archie Miller was not a rebuild at Dayton. They went to four straight NCAA tournaments, and were coming off two straight conference championships when Grant took over. Then Dayton went 14-17 his first season there. Yuck.

Outside of Kentucky, the SEC was terrible while Grant was at Alabama. He went 12-4 in conference play in his second season and still couldn't make the NCAA tournament.

Grant always had highly rated recruits at Alabama, but they always underachieved. Taking over for Archie Miller was not a rebuild at Dayton. They went to four straight NCAA tournaments, and were coming off two straight conference championships when Grant took over. Then Dayton went 14-17 his first season there. Yuck.
Said he was not my choice. Who is yours ? There are guys out there that would blow away our last 7 years.

Speaking for myself, I can live with whatever direction we go. However, if we go through the pain of making a change I for one want it to be a homerun, not just a different guy or a possible upgrade or a perceived upgrade. I think Coyle will get that done or he will leave Pitino in place. We don't want to do this again for 15-20 years if possible. I think Anthony Grant does have a better body of work than Pitino at this point. Better enough to be worth the change? I don't know.

Here is a bit I found on Grant - it's not bad, but not thrilling either:

Anthony Grant apparently will join the Thunder staff. Nothing from the Thunder yet, but Florida media is reporting that Grant will join Billy Donovan in the NBA.
Grant spent six years as head coach of Alabama. He was fired in March and hired at Florida to join Donovan's staff. We contacted an Alabama sports journalist, just to get his take on Grant. Here's what he shared with us:
"I think he’s a really good X-and-O guy. He seems to be a really good guy.
"He’s also about the worst with the media that I have ever dealt with. Good example, two seasons ago he set his preseason press conference (last coach in the SEC to do so) for like 1 o’clock on a Tuesday. At 10 a.m. we got an email saying it had moved to Wednesday at 1. At 10 a.m. on Wednesday we got an email saying it had moved to Thursday at 1. He actually stuck to that. Sometimes his weekly pressers would move from 2 p.m. before practice to 5 p.m. after practice -- and you’d find that out when you got there for the 2 p.m. one. And so on and so on.
"But he really kept to himself. Biggest knock (besides not winning) was that he was bad with the press and did zero to sell the program or out in the community to raise the profile.
"We did a story going into this past season where we (obtained) actual attendance -- i.e., how many showed up, not just how many tickets sold or distributed -- and it had fallen below 4,000, which is horrible.
"He gets strong marks on recruiting good citizens -- Levi Randolph, a senior on this year’s team, became the first academic All-American in Alabama men’s basketball history, and his graduation rates were very high -- but not necessarily great players. See the results. He’s a strong disciplinarian, probably cost himself an NCAA Tournament bid a couple of years ago when they were on the bubble and he suspended three starters for the stretch run of the season. Two returned, one quit.
"He’ll probably be a good assistant in the NBA because he doesn’t have to do all those other things. Everybody I ever talked to who really knows about these things says his basketball knowledge and film breakdown and such were among the best they’d ever been around. His people skills, not so much. And he wasn’t a very emotional guy or a great in-game motiva
tor on the bench, very passive."

OK, that was informative. We want a good coach (sounds like he is one) but a coach also has to deal with the outside world (sounds like he's not too great with that).

I'm hearing the talk that if Coyle can't get the home run, or guy he wants this year, he's willing to wait until next year. I don't totally see what that year does for you or who you're getting if you can't get them now. Who would those names be that you can't get this year, that you could get next year?

Make the change this year IMO.

I'd take Smith, Medved, Nagy, Forbes, Jans right now over Pitino.

Top Bottom