Doogie: I have every reason to believe Richard Pitino WILL be back as Gophers coach, there are just no signs

What makes you think minimal upgrade since his body of work is so far superior.

So far superior? Or just that Grant is 16 years older than Pitino? They are both off the Donovan tree.

Grant took over a good situation at VCU after Jeff Capel left. He also took over a good situation at Dayton. Even Alabama had gone to 5 straight NCAA tournaments just a few years before Grant took over there.

Grant has a better record at Alabama than Pitino does here, but Grant went to only one NCAA tournament in 6 years and Pitino went to two in 6 years here, in a much more difficult conference. I believe it's also easier to win at Alabama than Minnesota. I'd consider both of their time at P5 schools a wash. I think Pitino could be highly successful at a Dayton or VCU type school, he just hasn't coached long enough to get to that point.

What makes you think minimal upgrade since his body of work is so far superior.
It's not "far superior" not at the highest level. He went to a big conference and got fired after year 6. Period. Grant's overall record as of today, is better than Pitino's.

Outside of Kentucky, the SEC was terrible while Grant was at Alabama. He went 12-4 in conference play in his second season and still couldn't make the NCAA tournament.

Grant always had highly rated recruits at Alabama, but they always underachieved. Taking over for Archie Miller was not a rebuild at Dayton. They went to four straight NCAA tournaments, and were coming off two straight conference championships when Grant took over. Then Dayton went 14-17 his first season there. Yuck.
Exactly, and his style of play at Alabama was considered unwatchable. The SEC at that time doesn’t compare to the B1G. Just because he had some success at a much lower level doesn’t mean he can coach in the B1G.

obviously, no one read the link I posted about Grant.

It's not "far superior" not at the highest level. He went to a big conference and got fired after year 6. Period. Grant's overall record as of today, is better than Pitino's.
He was above .500 in a power conference.

I'm hearing the talk that if Coyle can't get the home run, or guy he wants this year, he's willing to wait until next year. I don't totally see what that year does for you or who you're getting if you can't get them now. Who would those names be that you can't get this year, that you could get next year?

Make the change this year IMO.

I'd take Smith, Medved, Nagy, Forbes, Jans right now over Pitino.

I know nothing about Forbes but I while watching ETSU tonight I wondered why there was no talk of him. He has a far better and longer track record than the other rumored candidates.

If they dont fire Pitino for being 34 games below .500 after 7 years then they never will....This will be a 6-7 win B10 team without Oturu next year.....The time is now to reboot.
We won 8 with Oturu this year. I think 6-7 is generous. But the Pitino faithful know that we’ll turn it around - some year.

Exactly, and his style of play at Alabama was considered unwatchable. The SEC at that time doesn’t compare to the B1G. Just because he had some success at a much lower level doesn’t mean he can coach in the B1G.

obviously, no one read the link I posted about Grant.
He will get better offers than Pitino. Can not think of anyone who thinks Pitino is his equal.

I know nothing about Forbes but I while watching ETSU tonight I wondered why there was no talk of him. He has a far better and longer track record than the other rumored candidates.
He had recruiting violations while at Tennessee under Bruce Pearl in 2008. Didn't seem nearly as bad as what other coaches have gone through. Wasn't right but no reason not to give a guy a job again. He's been great as a head coach. Wouldn't mind that hire at all. He's been fantastic with East Tennessee St. Great team this year.

He had recruiting violations while at Tennessee under Bruce Pearl in 2008. Didn't seem nearly as bad as what other coaches have gone through. Wasn't right but no reason not to give a guy a job again. He's been great as a head coach. Wouldn't mind that hire at all. He's been fantastic with East Tennessee St. Great team this year.
If your the AD at this school that is a hire you do not make. Play it straight.

If your the AD at this school that is a hire you do not make. Play it straight.
I agree they won't make that hire because of our history and the point we've been trying to make here at the U but no doubt the guy can coach.

His problem is that he sells himself as someone who is plugged in and he is not, so he really opens himself up to trolls. He has to defend himself because his record does not support his claim.

It's like Woj, when he misses on something, he doesn't get constant crap (or if he does, he blows it off) because he record shows that he's plugged in.

Very true. Doogie is trash. Can’t stand the guy. He is the worst in the market besides Shama. Never say anything definitively. “I heard” or “Sources tell me” or “Don’t be surprised if” but never anything concrete.

Very true. Doogie is trash. Can’t stand the guy. He is the worst in the market besides Shama. Never say anything definitively. “I heard” or “Sources tell me” or “Don’t be surprised if” but never anything concrete.
Like I said earlier he claimed on his little channel 5 sports show with Joe Schmidt, Paul Molitor would not be fired and Bruce Boudreau was safe till the end of the season...That is how plugged in he is.

I trust Coyle to make a move. I also trust that if he doesn’t make a move it is because the level of coach he wanted wasnt available to him. No reason to make minor upgrades because rarely do you hire a coach and then fire them a year later because your dream candidate became available.

I trust Coyle to make a move. I also trust that if he doesn’t make a move it is because the level of coach he wanted wasnt available to him. No reason to make minor upgrades because rarely do you hire a coach and then fire them a year later because your dream candidate became available.
Hard to say what a home run hire would be....If he is ready to move on then he might just go with his gut if his top 1/2 candidates are unattainable.

The one thing about this is you better know for a fact that you're going to get your guy next year. Even then it's tough. That's a wasted season.

Really I’m surprised there’s such debate about this. You lose Oturu and we’re right back in this spot next spring. The program hasn’t developed well enough to rebound from a loss like that and improve enough to justify Pitino keeping his job. Cut your losses now, give the new coach a chance to get a head start on the pivotal 2022 in state class and give fans a reason to dream beyond just making the tournament.

There’s a lot of built in advantages to this job, let’s stop settling.

I'm hearing the talk that if Coyle can't get the home run, or guy he wants this year, he's willing to wait until next year. I don't totally see what that year does for you or who you're getting if you can't get them now. Who would those names be that you can't get this year, that you could get next year?

If true, my guess is he wants to see the MWC candidates do it one more year, with more of their own guys.

So f__king stupid. Someone else is going to grab Smith this year, at a minimum.

Guess it’s Medved then, starting in 2021-22. Maybe Nagy. Or for that matter, maybe outside chance it could be TJ if UNLV blows up. But I feel like he just rode Nagy’s coattails for a couple years.

Pitino ain’t gonna do s__t here next year. Oturu is gone.

Although Wright St just lost in the Horizon semis as the #1 seed to the #4 seed.

That’s two years in a row now that they won’t make the tourny after winning the Horizon regular season.

So that is a chink in Nagy’s case.

If true, my guess is he wants to see the MWC candidates do it one more year, with more of their own guys.

Guess it’s Medved then, starting in 2021-22. Maybe Nagy. Or for that matter, maybe outside chance it could be TJ if UNLV blows up. But I feel like he just rode Nagy’s coattails for a couple years.

The obvious guy, if they waited a year and Pitino failed would be Musselman. His buyout goes from 5 mil down to 2 mil iirc. I cannot think of a guy that would create more excitement. I am not saying they should wait to do that, but I think he could be had in a year.

The obvious guy, if they waited a year and Pitino failed would be Musselman. His buyout goes from 5 mil down to 2 mil iirc. I cannot think of a guy that would create more excitement. I am not saying they should wait to do that, but I think he could be had in a year.
The name Musselman doesn’t mean much to anyone under 40.

Nothing gets the GH faithful riled up like a Doogie “scoop.”

Baffling

I think you can like Pitino, and still want to see a coaching change. It is like dating a girl for 7 years, you had some good times and bad times, but after 7 years, you realize that something is not right and you move on to the next gal. You can still have good memories, but you wanted a change.

We had dang near the same team conference wins wise as last year and we lost Amir, Jordan, and Pree. We can reload, we just need to continue to defend and take care of the ball. Look at Wisconsin after losing Happ.

Also TJ was better than Niko this year rankings wise. He's well thought of and can recruit. He's currently got the 1 class in the Mountain West. He's probably more a Big East or Pac 10 guy fit wise though imo.

what tiny land grant school in WI has a quality basketball coach. We need to follow the WI design. oh, and the coach must be white.

Nothing gets the GH faithful riled up like a Doogie “scoop.”

Baffling

I think people are just pointing out that Doogie doesn't know anything. I haven't seen anyone riled up in this entire thread.

My take is that Coyle has a one on one with Oturu. If he wants to stay a Gopher, then RP gets one more year. Coyle will decide right after the season is over.

He was above .500 in a power conference.
Now this just shows how ridiculous that metric is, even if it is the only one you use to judge a coach! The SEC at that time was one of the weakest of the P5. I suspect that Pitino's Minnesota teams could have been above 0.500 in the SEC if they played back then. Grant has the small college HC experience that helped him pad his record.

Top Bottom