Doogie: I have every reason to believe Richard Pitino WILL be back as Gophers coach, there are just no signs

Not good defensively in the conference.
Correct, it's why we are where we are with our conference record. Plenty of other stuff can't or don't want to understand that. Rather whine about shooting or "depth"

The old doogie line on kfan. ‘ I would be doogie’. Barreiro got rid of everyone

As far as Coyle - which was the point of the OP - well, let's remember this.

After the 2016 football season, Coyle said he would "assess the situation."
Then, on January 3rd, Coyle announced Claeys would not return.
On January 6th, Fleck was hired.

Whatever you think may have happened behind the scenes, the point is that Coyle acted very quickly.

If he is going to make a move with the Basketball coach, I would expect something similar. There will NOT be a search committee or a long, drawn-out process.

It will IMHO follow the Fleck pattern. If - and I say If - Pitino is released, there will be a new head coach in place in less than a week.

Maybe I'm dead wrong, but I think Pitino needs to show something in the B1G tournament - like win at least 2 games. If the Gophers lose to NW on Wednesday, I would not want to try and sell tickets for next year.

Couple thoughts:
#1. I was not surprised Tubby got fired. The two AD’s gave plenty of clues.
#2. Coyle said he was keeping Tracy. Then went silent.
#3. If Coyle was keeping Pitino why wouldn’t he say so? Silence suggests the snake has either decided to fire him or has not made up his mind.
#4. Is there a point the buyout drops?
Is $2 million a factor in the decision?

I've said I want a new coach numerous times! I've said this team should be better defensively which I attribute to coaching. I ripped our press beak against Maryland and also lack of urgency against Iowa.
Add the even lower energy against Indiana at home following the Iowa loss. No reason that Indiana team this year shoulda come in here and dominated us start to finish.

Couple thoughts:
#3. If Coyle was keeping Pitino why wouldn’t he say so? Silence suggests the snake has either decided to fire him or has not made up his mind.

Good thoughts.

It does drop after this year but I don't know how much. His contract has 4 more years on it after last year's extension. The 2 million probably becomes a worse factor if he is targeting someone who also has a big buyout. Musselman for example ( a guy who would create some box office excitement) has a 5 million buyout this year that drops to 2 million next year. So that's 7 million this year and perhaps only 3 million next year if Pitino's drops to 1.

I am guessing he makes a move.

If it bleeds it leads (old media adage for what leads the telecast) -

This sounds like clickbait to me as keeping Pitino is much more controversial - there are never any recriminations if a SPORTS GASBAG CARNIVAL BARKER is incorrect.Best job in the universe.

When Sid when he was a younger version of himself, did have some useful information and was unintentionally funny many times.

Barring winning the B10 tourney and advancing to the Sweet 16 (earning another year), I will be shocked and very disappointed if Coyle doesn't call him in his office and say thanks for the effort, but time for a change

Follow the money (another great one is that Money talks, but Bullshite Walks). If Built is accurate then WooHoo!!! - as we are getting closer to a they type of coach we deserve (we have the facilities now, in-state talent to scoop up and you'll be treated like a King if you take us to the promised land - Philip John can give him an Amen). No reason to think Built is incorrect on this as he is as much plugged into scene as anyone on this boar . Who knows, if Coyle can get a coach those guys are behind, maybe they can help fund part of the buyout then.

As my grandpappy a good ole hardarse from Da Range told me, "You wanna run with the big dogs, you best learn how to piss in the tall grass then." - It's that simple IMO.

Strongly disagree. This roster is built more efficient. Don't fall apart at the end of half of their close games instead of 90% and they are an NCAA tourney team this year.
They fell apart at the end of games because they have no depth.

everyone and their mother knew we had no depth this year.

demir, oturu, and Carr all over performed this year compared to what I expected.
Gabe underperformed.

If almost winning games was a stat, we had a pretty good year

They fell apart at the end of games because they have no depth.

everyone and their mother knew we had no depth this year.

demir, oturu, and Carr all over performed this year compared to what I expected.
Gabe underperformed.

If almost winning games was a stat, we had a pretty good year

Demir over performed? I expected big thing s from Oturo and Carr. I expected us as a team to shoot better. Also expected better/more contribution from Williams, Ihnen, and Omersa. They had 8 playable guys, they didn't get better. Pitino also doesn't play a lot of guys and will probably not ever. We lost games deservingly so, but I don't buy it being a talent or depth issue.

I honestly wish I shared your optimism. I just don’t see how this team can be projected to be better next year or the year after. Maybe they get another big time recruit or two? Carr, Oturu, Kalscheur are legit B1G starting players. After that, it’s only Ihnen that looks like he may have star potential. Williams has moments, especially early, but his 3’s and free’s left a lot to be desired. At least he is confident. Willis is a 10-15min bench guy on a good team. Omersa is a 10min bench energy guy on a good team. Freeman and Greenlee the jury is still out. Mitchell looks like he may be more of a project. Mashburn has so-so stats in HS (yes, I know his team is “loaded”). Anything you get out of Curry is a total bonus at this point.

If they have to ride 3 starters into the ground again next year, I would assume a similar result. They managed a pretty lackluster year with no major (or really even minor) injuries. What if they had injuries? This year could have been an absolute disaster.
For most teams, college basketball is all about the next group of athletes maturing and stepping up to fill in the holes left by the last class leaving. They were competitive in many tough games with 3 new starters and a bench full of freshman. Pitino has done a good job of developing players and all of the sophomores will be much stronger along with two very good freshman guards. The style of defense will be more locked in and be much better.

The problem i have with the one more year argument is what is good enough next year to keep his job?
Another 8-12 and an NIT invite...9-11 and NCAA tourney bubble?.....Without Oturu i dont see how it is possible the team next year is better than this one.
This. Next year will be a death march. The move needs to be made now.

No idea what Mr. Coyle will do. That is they way it should be. He has not tipped his hand to far more connected media than Wolfson. There are several boosters that are out if he stays but Coyle can not please them unless he can get who they want. He knows if he gets who he wants the winning will bring back everyone and more.
Is who he wants and who they want the same or different?

I assume Coyle knows well and good that he stands to lose these people's support for the program, and I assume those stakes are high.

As I have stated a few other times, if they don't fire Pitino at the end of the year you will end up firing him at the end of NEXT year. What's the point - you might as well rebuild with a different coach then just throw away next season. You will lose another 10-20 per cent of your season ticket holders while we wait.......
What should be done eventually, must be done immediately.” ~ Jeremy Foley, commenting on the proper time to fire coaches .Jun 3, 2016

Last edited:

In all this Pitino talk, it's interesting that him producing his second consecutive metro-recruit-turned-Gopher-star-who-leaves-early-for-the-NBA is what could get him fired.

1. He had FIVE scholarships in the Spring to give for the 2019-20 season to join Daniel, Gabe, and the rest of his returners. The best he did with those scholarships was Alihan Demir in terms of help for his team. I'd argue the actually would have been better off not even adding Demir and giving Ihnen and Omersa those minutes. He gave two scholarships to guys who will likely never play a meaningful minute of B1G basketball. He didn't use the third.

2. He had the worst in state recruiting season of any coach in my lifetime. Suggs? No. Garcia? No. Dainja? No. Carlson? No. Walton? Probably not. If you believe he wanted Crowl that's yet another one. None of these kids went to a blue blood, they all left the state and 4 or 5 of them are rated higher than Pitino's best recruit in this class.

3. He badly underachieved this season. Made a lot of excuses but couldn't win very easy games against Iowa and Indiana at home. Lost 3 straight home games as a favorite by giving Maryland their biggest comeback win in a decade to cap it off. The absolute worst this team should have been in conference play was 12-8 and they finished 8-12.
I won't say "badly" underachieved. But you're allowed to adjust expectations in season. To go from 5-4 on January 23rd to 8-12 today is unacceptable. The rest is true. Since the extension neither the recruiting or the on-court results have been good. He needed at least one or the other.

Is who he wants and who they want the same or different?

I assume Coyle knows well and good that he stands to lose these people's support for the program, and I assume those stakes are high.
I can not be right because i have no clue who Mr. Coyle would want or can get. The group i talk with wants Grant. Fully trust Coyle to do what he thinks is best. Season plays out first.

He's had seven years.

I spent most of my adult life in sales and I loved it because it is black/white - you're either selling or not. By any objective measure, he's failed.

IMO he made his "quota" in -
2013 Winning NIT first year - 25 wins
2016 4th in conference - 24 2ins
2018 Won first NCAA tourney game - 22 wins
Barring a miracle finish to this season, that's 4 our of 7 years he hit his quota - not surpassing it significantly - @150% of plan, for example

That's simply unacceptable and will get you fired at basically any company, because you are costing the organization money (in this case - attendance drops off and all that encompasses and I'd be shocked if the donations haven't corresponding been affected.

He gets paid to produce - plain and simple. I understand part of it is the clean program, helping his players grow and graduate, however, the most important metric (as it should be) is how much have you sold this year.

We don't have a program, we have a team - programs reload (even if they have a downyear once in while). We are hope and pray to make the tourney and be grateful for that measly morsel. Wisconsin has a program; we had one under Clem.

No more excuses.

If you're a season ticket holder and will cancel or seriously consider it (if Pitino is retained) then I would email Coyle after the season concludes and tell him - the more he sees money leaving the more likely he'll do something. It's good for him to get feedback from non-big time donors as well - then he knows it's not just a select group of fans.

Last edited:

Demir over performed? I expected big thing s from Oturo and Carr. I expected us as a team to shoot better. Also expected better/more contribution from Williams, Ihnen, and Omersa. They had 8 playable guys, they didn't get better. Pitino also doesn't play a lot of guys and will probably not ever. We lost games deservingly so, but I don't buy it being a talent or depth issue.
You don’t buy it being a depth of talent issue?
I no longer need to talk to you

you clearly don’t even watch the team I watch

You don’t buy it being a depth of talent issue?
I no longer need to talk to you

you clearly don’t even watch the team I watch

With the landscape of this years big ten and college basketball no I do not. Look at two examples of when they lost guys they got better. Maryland and Wisconsin. I strongly believe our guys are easily just as talented as Wisconsin. I also strongly believed that last years team was more limited than this ones. Last years team didn’t defend as well and was inefficient offensively. They were reliant on high lows and two posts who could not shoot threes. I respect you disagreeing with me and it’s ok to discuss and see things differently. That’s the purpose of a message board.

I can not be right because i have no clue who Mr. Coyle would want or can get. The group i talk with wants Grant. Fully trust Coyle to do what he thinks is best. Season plays out first.

I hope it’s not Grant. Hiring failed re-treads rarely works out.

Couple thoughts:
#4 answer is yes but I believe Pitino gets a comparable bonus payout at the same time.

#4 answer is yes but I believe Pitino gets a comparable bonus payout at the same time.
Well, look at all the money we saved by Pitino NOT reaching any of his incentive goals for this year. That money saved, would take away the sting of having to pay the buyout.

If Coyle is genuinely that big of a dunce to not fire Pitino, I hope half the fans don’t come back for next season.

I'd be ok with Grant, but I'll admit, I'm not an expert and don't know that much about him.

Good, save that money on the buyout ... and lose $3M in ticket sales.

Meanwhile, someone else snatches up Craig Smith after the tourny this year. Guaranteed

Couple thoughts:

#2 isn’t true. This was Coyle’s quote, that somehow many took as that Claeys was getting another year.

“He is our head football coach,” his statement read. “As is the case with every one of our head coaches, he has my full support.”

With the landscape of this years big ten and college basketball no I do not. Look at two examples of when they lost guys they got better. Maryland and Wisconsin. I strongly believe our guys are easily just as talented as Wisconsin. I also strongly believed that last years team was more limited than this ones. Last years team didn’t defend as well and was inefficient offensively. They were reliant on high lows and two posts who could not shoot threes. I respect you disagreeing with me and it’s ok to discuss and see things differently. That’s the purpose of a message board.
And Ohio State got better without Carton.

Top Bottom