Does tonight's game change your opinion of Claeys getting FT job?

Does tonight's game change your opinion of Claeys getting FT job?

• They won me over, give him the job.

Votes: 23 17.4%
  • The last minute really was a cause for concern. Need more time to evaluate.

Votes: 38 28.8%
  • A single game wasn't going to sway me, he's the right guy.

Votes: 48 36.4%
  • I need more time to evaluate, regardless of how tonight went.

Votes: 23 17.4%

• Total voters
Give him a year is my feeling. Same thought I had during this bad season about Kill. The nucleus for a better year next season should be in place. Leidner has been better but other options for competition should be stronger as well. It is worth taking a chance instead of maybe not even having a coach for spring practice. The possibility of setting the program back a great deal is a reality if this thing draws out. Another point is a lot of better jobs opening up than Minnesota. Hire Claeys and revisit it this time next year.

Give him a year is my feeling. Same thought I had during this bad season about Kill. The nucleus for a better year next season should be in place. Leidner has been better but other options for competition should be stronger as well. It is worth taking a chance instead of maybe not even having a coach for spring practice. The possibility of setting the program back a great deal is a reality if this thing draws out. Another point is a lot of better jobs opening up than Minnesota. Hire Claeys and revisit it this time next year.

The problem is you can't just give him a year. Why would Claeys accept a contract that allows him to be fired easily after one year?
Especially if he is as good as some are claiming?

As I said, if you are happy with 8-5 and think it is the best we can do. Keep Claeys.

I don't disagree with you.

Hiring a new coach is risky. I may be in the minority, I may be wrong, but I believe the program should strive to be great not accept an 8 win ceiling. Even if it means making a hire that might fail.

I'm not asking for ten wins per year. I'm asking for ten plus wins once every 5-7 years.

The only coach that has shown such a striving to be great has been Coach Kill and his staff. As I said, do you want more Tim Brewsters and others who were already looking for greener pastures?

This program will only become great by having coaches who are extremely loyal to the U of MN and the kids they coach. We presently have that. Our best chance of being greater than 8 - 5 is with the present coaching staff.

Please name a more loyal staff that could come into Minnesota and do better. Stop your whining and actually provide constructive data for becoming better than 8 - 5.

I, personally, think we have the best staff in the nation to bring the U of MN to bigger and better things, especially given the political climate at the U of MN and how the University consistently works to shoot itself in the foot.

The only coach that has shown such a striving to be great has been Coach Kill and his staff. As I said, do you want more Tim Brewsters and others who were already looking for greener pastures?

This program will only become great by having coaches who are extremely loyal to the U of MN and the kids they coach. We presently have that. Our best chance of being greater than 8 - 5 is with the present coaching staff.

Please name a more loyal staff that could come into Minnesota and do better. Stop your whining and actually provide constructive data for becoming better than 8 - 5.

I, personally, think we have the best staff in the nation to bring the U of MN to bigger and better things, especially given the political climate at the U of MN and how the University consistently works to shoot itself in the foot.

And I don't think they can get it done.
Why are you so angry that we disagree?

And I don't think they can get it done.
Why are you so angry that we disagree?

The difference is that I've shown you the reason for why they are capable of getting it done and you've just whined, using a baseless opinion.

Back up your opinion or go whine somewhere else.

The difference is that I've shown you the reason for why they are capable of getting it done and you've just whined, using a baseless opinion.

No kidding. Some Guy apparently saw enough yesterday to know there is no future. Probably can't give actual reasons - probably the "eye test". IALTO. Hell, another post today basically said they could tell Claeys didn't have it from TC's pregame speech. No kidding. This board is such a hot mess after a loss.

You haven't shown anything other than your own opinion. Nothing more than assumptions that another staff wouldn't be loyal, wouldn't strive to be great and your opinion that the current staff is the best for the U. Wouldn't call your opinions constructive data.

The problem is you can't just give him a year. Why would Claeys accept a contract that allows him to be fired easily after one year?
And no coach is going to be able to recruit quality kids under a one year contract.

You haven't shown anything other than your own opinion. Nothing more than assumptions that another staff wouldn't be loyal, wouldn't strive to be great and your opinion that the current staff is the best for the U. Wouldn't call your opinions constructive data.

I show you 50 years of coaching where people have been looking for greener pastures or simply been bad hires.

We currently have a coaching staff that had the longest continuous working relationship of any staff in college football. How much more proof do you need?

Why are you pining for another "Lou Holtz"?

We can do better?

1 A- list Coach Fat Chance. Not coming to this mess

2 Mid Major Hot Shot (see 1) Three have been fired this year after moving up.

3 Mac level or 1AA A- list. Hit twice with another Jerry Kill?

4 B- list power 5 (see 1)

5 B- list Mid Major. Desperation

6 Power 5 or helmet School Assistant. No HC experience? Up for a game of Dice. Win may = stepping stone job.

Who wants to Play??

I show you 50 years of coaching where people have been looking for greener pastures or simply been bad hires.

We currently have a coaching staff that had the longest continuous working relationship of any staff in college football. How much more proof do you need?

Why are you pining for another "Lou Holtz"?

The staff having the longest continuous working relationships shows they were loyal to Jerry Kill. Doesn't mean they would be loyal to Tracy Claeys or that another staff couldn't come in and do the same job as this staff.

People act like under this staff the program has arrived. We can't stop the current direction of the program. That direction happens to be 1-6 in their last 7 games against P5 conference teams.

Whether the U can do any better than this staff is a matter of opinion not a fact.

If he wants a big time job and not mid major I would think something could be worked out. He is a respected coach but certainly not that hot of a commodity.

The staff having the longest continuous working relationships shows they were loyal to Jerry Kill. Doesn't mean they would be loyal to Tracy Claeys or that another staff couldn't come in and do the same job as this staff.

People act like under this staff the program has arrived. We can't stop the current direction of the program. That direction happens to be 1-6 in their last 7 games against P5 conference teams.

Whether the U can do any better than this staff is a matter of opinion not a fact.
The U cannot do better. 50 years of futility proves this.
We have teams that are competitive. We are shutting down the borders on recruits and we have better recruits coming in. We are on the cusp of developing a very good program. Why are you determined to piss that away?

The U cannot do better. 50 years of futility proves this.
We have teams that are competitive. We are shutting down the borders on recruits and we have better recruits coming in. We are on the cusp of developing a very good program. Why are you determined to piss that away?

Not determined on pissing anything away. I don't share your same view of this staff whether Kill or Claeys is leading the program. Circumstances beyond their control has put the U in the position of needing a new coach. Throwing up their hands with "we can't do better" and handing the job to Claeys without exploring other options isn't the way this should play out.

Regardless odds are what so many here want will happen and Claeys will be the hire.

Given time to reflect my view that TC and the staff are right has only solidified.

When I think of what every school that's not a helmet school requires in a coach,

Approach
- Has a sound plant that takes advantage of the school & region's strengths
- Has a track record of achieving with the plan and will remain committed to it
Affinity / Loyalty / Longevity
- Is young enough to stick around for 10-15 years (because that's what it takes to cement sustained success)
- Has staff continuity or a track record of reloading on talented assistants
- Isn't likely to bolt for a better job after some initial success
Player development
- Demonstrated ability to develop talent better than the top programs (our three stars can play with your four stars)
Recruiting
- Can lock down the borders
- Can attract talent from outside the state that the programs stature doesn't on it's face merit
Game Week / Day Coaching
- Prepares the team well (they are ready for what they see)
- Motivates the team
- Makes sound adjustments
- Makes good decision
Economics
- Is affordable for our program

So the guy made some bad game day decisions. Who else are we going to find who fits most of the above? How many years to start over? Unless T. Denny Stanford suddenly commits to make us the next Oregon we ain't paying anyone $5 million a year.

Given the above TC is a slam dunk hire. recruiting is the only question mark and we won't know about that until March. Gotta committ before that or you will have a big recruiting problem.

Given time to reflect my view that TC and the staff are right has only solidified.

When I think of what every school that's not a helmet school requires in a coach,

Approach
- Is young enough to stick around for 10-15 years (because that's what it takes to cement sustained success)
Player development
- Demonstrated ability to develop talent better than the top programs (our three stars can play with your four stars)
Recruiting
- Can attract talent from outside the state that the programs stature doesn't on it's face merit
Game Week / Day Coaching
- Motivates the team
- Makes good decision
Economics

So the guy made some bad game day decisions. Who else are we going to find who fits most of the above? How many years to start over? Unless T. Denny Stanford suddenly commits to make us the next Oregon we ain't paying anyone $5 million a year.

Given the above TC is a slam dunk hire. recruiting is the only question mark and we won't know about that until March. Gotta committ before that or you will have a big recruiting problem.

I'm not sure what makes you think Claeys fits the bill you outlined. He has no history as a head coach. What makes you think he has a strong plan? Even if you think Kill did, it doesn't hold that Claeys will continue with it. Can lock down the borders... Claeys is an unknown to recruits. He has no history as a head coach. Are recruits supposed to commit to Claeys because they like the guy Claeys used to work for? Has staff continuity... Kill did. Are you just assuming all these guys will be equally committed to working for Claeys?

Everyone seems to be assuming Claeys is the second coming of Jerry Kill. But there really isn't much evidence of that and assuming Claeys would just play the role of Jerry Jr. is rather naive.

Approach
Player development
Recruiting
Game Week / Day Coaching
- Motivates the team
- Makes good decision
Economics

Very solid post.

I was actually hoping they would run a fake hand off naked bootleg and Leidner runs it in. You knew the defense was going to bite hard on the run up the middle. We've run this before near the goal line with a lot of success. I think Leidner scored on it against Michigan last year if I remember correctly.

Okay, I realize I may get flamed for this thought on the last play. I think we all agree that Leidner's speed is down this year. So, having him run a bootleg or option would have been iffy. I'm sure that is why the Michigan DC said he was sure we would run the sneak. What if we would have put Demry Croft in? I don't think Michigan would have been sure what to look out for.

Okay, I realize I may get flamed for this thought on the last play. I think we all agree that Leidner's speed is down this year. So, having him run a bootleg or option would have been iffy. I'm sure that is why the Michigan DC said he was sure we would run the sneak. What if we would have put Demry Croft in? I don't think Michigan would have been sure what to look out for.

Put Croft in at quarterback? Not going to flame you, but no. Leidner is the one who got us into position to win the game down there, so he deserved to be on the field until the end. Anything less would have been a huge slap in the face, and it would have hurt him, as he was so emotional regarding Coach Kill and trying to get that win for him.

If you're suggesting some kind of trickeration play lining Croft up in the backfield with Leidner, no again. There was far more than enough confusion going on as is. A play other than a QB sneak up the middle might have been more appropriate and effective given the stoutness and size of their interior line, but I wouldn't think that play would involve bringing in someone so inexperienced as Croft, not unless Claeys was really willing to throw caution to the wind.

Approach
Player development

Such a 'Minnesotan' post. Scared of hiring someone because they could have success and leave. How many coaches currently at any school, helmet or not, could actually fit this description? Very few. Head coaches and assistant coaches leave all schools on a regular basis. There's no guarantee Claeys will keep all of his current assistants.

I can see going either way. I think Claeys is going to get the job, so it's all academic. I just don't see it as a slam-dunk "right" decision.

I thought he and the staff did a good job on the offensive side of the football in using the pass to set up the run instead of Kill's approach of insisting on establishing the running game. Liked to see Lingen going up the seam (where has that play been this season?).

One thing that does bother me a bit is all the raving about the loyalty of the guys on the staff and how long they've been together. After years on the assistant coaching carousel we saw under Mason and Brewster, it's good to have some stability. I just wonder if there's too much groupthink that goes on and I really do wonder how good the position coaches are on the offensive side of the ball.

If Saturday night was a job interview, Claeys was brilliant. He said all the right things, asked all the right questions and seemed intelligent and engaged. The only problem is that as he stood up to shake the interviewer's hand and thank him for the opportunity, he let out a huge fart.

I thought Leidner was faster than he has been all year the other night. I also knew that Michigan was going to sell out hard to stop the QB sneak or run up the middle. And that is exactly what they did.

My knee jerk reaction to the time fiasco was fire everyone immediately, but now that I'm thinking logically, you've got to love the job the O did against a great D like Michigan. And the defense, especially considering how little time there was to prepare. It's been a disappointment of a season, but I think the continuity is good and Alcaeus CAN coach. At least give him a contract with a low buyout so he has a few years to show what he can do at the helm.

My knee jerk reaction to the time fiasco was fire everyone immediately, but now that I'm thinking logically, you've got to love the job the O did against a great D like Michigan. And the defense, especially considering how little time there was to prepare. It's been a disappointment of a season, but I think the continuity is good and Alcaeus CAN coach. At least give him a contract with a low buyout so he has a few years to show what he can do at the helm.
Right - it was a great effort, until the last 19 seconds, when they should have spiked the ball, had a couple of plays ready, and then called in Santoso on 4th down to send it into overtime, if not scoring on one of the the two plays.

No. Absolutely Claeys should get it. Every coach, NFL included has brain farted the time clock on occasion. This time is entirely excusable and forgivable due to the circumstances over the past week.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Such a 'Minnesotan' post. Scared of hiring someone because they could have success and leave. How many coaches currently at any school, helmet or not, could actually fit this description? Very few. Head coaches and assistant coaches leave all schools on a regular basis. There's no guarantee Claeys will keep all of his current assistants.

True, we'd be better off with another Lou Holtz.

As opposed to Claeys plan of being ultra conservative, triple shifting with 19 seconds left and the clock running, and 5 loss seasons?

New coach may definitely take a step back. If you are fine with 8-5 seasons keeping Claeys is the way to go.

Stupid. Why would you assume Claeys ceiling is any lower than Coach TBD?

Approach
Player development
Recruiting
Game Week / Day Coaching
- Motivates the team
- Makes good decision
Economics

I'm responding to this so everyone can read it again. It's the definitive statement on why we need to hire Claeys this week.

Top Bottom