Does tonight's game change your opinion of Claeys getting FT job?

Does tonight's game change your opinion of Claeys getting FT job?

• They won me over, give him the job.

Votes: 23 17.4%
  • The last minute really was a cause for concern. Need more time to evaluate.

Votes: 38 28.8%
  • A single game wasn't going to sway me, he's the right guy.

Votes: 48 36.4%
  • I need more time to evaluate, regardless of how tonight went.

Votes: 23 17.4%

• Total voters
I think the way we played showed how strong of a coaching staff we do have here right now. Despite this frustrating loss and the bizarre last 19 seconds I was still impressed with how these coaches had the players ready to go despite all the emotional turmoil. They just lost their head coach just a few days ago. Despite all that Claeys and crew stepped up and coached a very good game.

They are very likely to get smoked in their next 3 out of 4 games....Wisconsin is better than Michigan with a healthy Clement......the public outcry for this staff to remain will be a whimper.

The irony of making a Brewster joke after that coaching performance.

A coaching performance where we were 1 play away from beating a top 15 team? How many of those did Brewster have?

I think once the emotions calm shown a little bit we'll remember all coaches make controversial decisions and bad decisions at times. I'm impressed we were even in this game. They will talk about the last sequence and hopefully Tracy won't be so impatient next time.

I have no problem with Santoso punting. Mortell's shank in the first quarter led directly to their TD and was a huge momentum play. He's like a QB that throws a lot of TDs but also some head scratcher INTS. Why should the coaches let him punt if they have confidence in Santoso, which they obviously did? It didn't work out, but that's football. Sometimes players don't make plays, including Mortell tonight.

They are very likely to get smoked in their next 3 out of 4 games....Wisconsin is better than Michigan with a healthy Clement......the public outcry for this staff to remain will be a whimper.
They were also very likely to lose by double digits tonight. Write down your top 5 realistic coaching candidates. Cross all those off. Then pick five more. They'll be lucky to get one of the second five with the climate as it sits right now.

I've heard enough about about morale victories, sure they were underdogs and to some people's opinion to be lucky in the game, but they blew there wad. They had a chance to win and make a statement but they failed...yet again. This loss was a disgrace to the program. Time to step up and make a statement. As usual, they failed to disappoint yet again.

After a couple more beers, and some pacing around my living room, I have to say...
...going into this game, I thought we had no chance. The fact we had the easy opportunity
to win, was heart breaking. It's one of those, 'but I want it because we deserve it' emotions.

Minus the horrific call at the end that killed the clock and the clock management, and as much
as I love Coach Kill....I don't know if he has us in contention to win that game like Claeys did.
Maybe he would, maybe the kids were over inspired, maybe we can be this good and luck wasn't
our way. I don't know...but truth be told, we had chances to win vs #15 Michigan with the #1
defense in the country. Even though we lost and in terrible fashion, you have to give credit where
it's due.

Unfortunately, it's not like we have Rutgers and Maryland for the next two game to lick our wounds...
got some tough rowing ahead through choppy waters.

I've heard enough about about morale victories, sure they were underdogs and to some people's opinion to be lucky in the game, but they blew there wad. They had a chance to win and make a statement but they failed...yet again. This loss was a disgrace to the program. Time to step up and make a statement. As usual, they failed to disappoint yet again.

Once the liquor wears off, I'd recommend watching the NFL. Hell of an effort on both sides of the ball.

Even with Clement, who before his injury seemed to be a bit overrated, they're not a top #15 team with the #1 defense,
avg 9 pts against.....we put up 26.

The fact that they noticed the clock ticking down is incredibly disturbing from a fan perspective

It was very obvious to me that the coaching staff has very little faith in the passing game

Pretty much sums it up for me too. I've been hearing about freaking moral victories since the late 80s with this program and I'm tired of it. Just win damn games when you have the chance. I gave up on the "we should celebrate almost winning" b.s. a long time ago. Coaching staffs change around here but invariably, no matter who is running the ship, the team program consistently pees down its leg on big stages. It's gotten to the point where its shocking if they actually come through in a big moment. It's also why I never, ever buy into the hype that seems to surround this team on a yearly basis.

Not sure about you, but I'm pretty disappointed. I wish they failed to disappoint.

Go Gophers!!

Once the liquor wears off, I'd recommend watching the NFL. Hell of an effort on both sides of the ball.

I thought so too, great game by both the offense and the defense.

Not sure why everyone was so upset about the last 19 seconds, the first play was a perfect play call, a little better timing and it would have been six, not sure I would have tried to stuff it on the second try but second guesses are always easy. As far as clock management, these aren't professionals, they don't excel at the two minute drill, not sure expectations are realistic.

I was a little disappointed on the plays prior to the field goal that got the Gophers to 26, it seemed like they were settling for the field goal that whole four down sequence, I would have preferred taking a risk and passing the ball downfield to try and get six at that point. A touchdown there probably would have sewn up the win.

New Twins Manager Paul Molitor made a lot of Rookie mistakes early in the year. By the end of the season he was voted Manager of the year.
Like Molitor, Claeys is a smart Man who will learn from his mistakes.

Doesn't change my opinion any, but my opinion doesn't matter. The relevant question is, does it change the opinion of those who would be hiring him?

I suspect it probably doesn't, and probably shouldn't. He's been given the remainder of the 2015 season to audition for the job going forward, so he's got four more games at least in which to do that. To me, given the circumstances, it would be incredibly reactionary to base a momentous decision like a head coaching hire based upon 19 excruciating seconds at the end of a football game. That last 19 seconds looked about like a Chinese fire-drill, I mean it was really tough to watch, but then I think about the fact that Claeys had been the acting head coach for all of three days at that point, so a little bit of disorganization amongst the coaches might have been expected. That doesn't make it any easier or the blown clock management any less egregious, but for me it makes it at least somewhat understandable, as I believe probably everyone both in and around the program is still operating in a state of shock.

So he buggered up the end of this one, well, for the vast majority of the game his team was playing some really inspired football. They took it right to Michigan, thoroughly outplayed them, and really should have won the game. If Claeys can manage to coax that kind of effort out of his team in the coming games, then hey, we just might have a head football coach here.

Having never been a head coach before with the exception of the 7 games in which he was simply a stand-in, he might very well be liable to making some mistakes, but what's important is, will he learn from those, and will he grow into the role of head coach? I don't know, but he's got the rest of this season to prove so. I'm fine with that. No way would I mentally throw him out on the basis of one game, especially at a time so emotionally trying as this.

They played their best game in Minneapolis against a very good Michigan team in nearly forty years and now Gopherhole wants to pass on the coach that had three days to prepare himself for the opportunity.

Pathetic.

I really don't like conservative football. We could have used a few exciting trick plays ala Boise State.

How about Matt Campbell? He beat Arkansas and blew out Kent State.

Obviously the only right answer is that more time is needed to evaluate. As true as it is that 19 seconds aren't enough to judge the coaching performance, it's also true that 59 minutes and 41 seconds aren't either. It was a home night game in which the crowd and the team had as much emotion as they're ever going to have. The Gophers have looked great one game and horrible the next, and too often the most recent game is treated as the final, conclusive word.

Long story short, the administration and athletic department should take their time.

They played their best game in Minneapolis against a very good Michigan team in nearly forty years and now Gopherhole wants to pass on the coach that had three days to prepare himself for the opportunity.

Pathetic.

Agreed. Gopherhole is always like this after a loss though, so we'll see what everyone is saying on Wednesday or so.

I voted for Claeys being the guy. I see no real downside to giving him a longer term deal with little buyout, with the option to pay him more if he starts tearing it up. We don't have any other options, and our kids played lights out last night.
One thing to remember, we are still hurt bad, guys missing off the O line, the last TD they scored was due to a walk-on's inability to make the play (not knocking him, just explaining) because the two scholly guys ahead of him were hurt. All of that, and we still almost won the game. If we have a chance to win the rest of our games with 19 seconds left on their half yard line I'll take it everytime. And I can guarantee you that 17 second wtf play will not be seen again. Claey's is smart, he's a cerebral coach. We need to stay the course with this staff.

Pathetic.
Three days to prepare as head coach, only. He, like the rest of the staff, had two weeks to prepare this team for this game.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

If we have a chance to win the rest of our games with 19 seconds left on their half yard line I'll take it everytime.

Bingo. I can think of only two other games at home where the Gophers played this well against OSU or Michigan since '82. OSU in '90, and Michigan in '03. Nobody likes losing but sometimes it seems people like losing badly more.

Also isn't this the guy who was at the helm during the first four game Big Ten win streak since the forties?

We don't know what will happen to recruiting yet that's the big unknown

Bingo. I can think of only two other games at home where the Gophers played this well against OSU or Michigan since '82. OSU in '90, and Michigan in '03. Nobody likes losing but sometimes it seems people like losing badly more.

Also isn't this the guy who was at the helm during the first four game Big Ten win streak since the forties?

We don't know what will happen to recruiting yet that's the big unknown

This. Hire Claeys. Tell him to fix the O. Time to shore up this recruiting class. Don't need to miss a beat.

This. Hire Claeys. Tell him to fix the O. Time to shore up this recruiting class. Don't need to miss a beat.

If only it were that simple. I'd say dive him the job with very little buyout as the evaluation of him as head coach will take at minimum one to two years and the athletic departments is currently in disarray. Ideally Kahler would hire an AD in the next two months and he or she could make the decision, but I don't see that happening.

Pathetic.

YOU CALL A QB SNEAK FIRST, THEN CALL ANOTHER PLAY, THEN KICK THE FG IF YOU DON'T MAKE IT. IT'S COMMON SENSE THAT DOESN'T REQUIRE PREPARATION.

Sorry I had to get that out.

YOU CALL A QB SNEAK FIRST, THEN CALL ANOTHER PLAY, THEN KICK THE FG IF YOU DON'T MAKE IT. IT'S COMMON SENSE THAT DOESN'T REQUIRE PREPARATION.

Sorry I had to get that out.

I have confidence Claeys can fix that. He's an intelligent person. The rest of the game was great.

Was he benched? He got roughed up tackling a guy tonight. Are we sure he wasn't hurt from that?

Nate Sandell,who covers the Gophers for one on the local radio stations,tweeted that Mortell was on the sideline in sweats for the last part of the game, which would indicate he was injured.

For those that only saw the last 19 seconds or so of the game... Mitch threw some spirals, wide receivers made some great catches in fact what lead up to that debacle at the end was a wow pass play. Did I have a few choice words at the ending, yes I did.
It was a great game. I am all for Clays getting a couple of years to show what he can do.
Yes the coaching staff had two weeks to prepare but so did the Michigan coaches.

The better team lost last night.

I still want Claeys to get the job, but not spiking the ball to stop the clock was a big mistake. Even if we ran a pass after the spike, we'd still have time for two running plays if we had spiked it.

Tough for mortell to punt when he was in street clothes at the end of the game .

Top Bottom