Does tonight's game change your opinion of Claeys getting FT job?

Does tonight's game change your opinion of Claeys getting FT job?

• They won me over, give him the job.

Votes: 23 17.4%
  • The last minute really was a cause for concern. Need more time to evaluate.

Votes: 38 28.8%
  • A single game wasn't going to sway me, he's the right guy.

Votes: 48 36.4%
  • I need more time to evaluate, regardless of how tonight went.

Votes: 23 17.4%

• Total voters

There's just as good of a chance Claeys flames out in 2 or 3 years. But you know loyalty is more important than winning as a head coach.

Where do you think the money is going to come from to pay for a big name winner? Have you be reading the same updates on the slow fundraising for the modest athletic facility that I have?

Or are you acknowledging we can't do this and suggesting that we instead fire the current former Northern Illinois coaching staff that has their program fully installed so that we can hire the current Northern Illinois coaching staff to come in and install their program?

Stupid. Why would you assume Claeys ceiling is any lower than Coach TBD?

I don't assume it would be.
More likely a new coach would be worse.

If you are happy with 8-5 you keep TC.

As I have said.

Due diligence. Don't rush to a decision based on one recruiting class. Look around and make the best decision for the long term betterment of the program. Just because we all liked Kill doesn't mean it's disrespectful to move forward looking at the whole chess board. I mean my goodness people take off the blinders. Claeys may very well be our best option, but I would be disappointed if the U doesn't handle this like any top notch corporation would.

Where do you think the money is going to come from to pay for a big name winner? Have you be reading the same updates on the slow fundraising for the modest athletic facility that I have?

I thought that the money would come from B1G TV revenues, B1G bowl revenues, ridiculously new fan gouging tix prices, etc. Regarding the new athletic facilities, I read that the Regents are not too worried because donors were waiting to come out of the woodwork after the decision to build or why else would they make an otherwise wreckless financial decision to ignore their own policy that calls for 80% of the funding to be raised.

C'mon, we don't need to go on the cheap when it comes to hiring a new HC! And don't worry about the facilities debt, what could possibly go wrong?

I still say do a national search and invite Claeys to apply and see who applies and how the interview process goes. You never know who may apply.

I still say do a national search and invite Claeys to apply and see who applies and how the interview process goes. You never know who may apply.

No one with other options is going to apply when there's no AD in place.

Or are you acknowledging we can't do this and suggesting that we instead fire the current former Northern Illinois coaching staff that has their program fully installed so that we can hire the current Northern Illinois coaching staff to come in and install their program?

The 2.5 million Kill was making this year can get you a pretty good up and coming coach. This isn't the former Norther Illinois staff anymore, we are missing the head coach. It's almost like people think Kill had very little impact on anything, and it's just business as usual without him. Claeys has proven nothing as a head coach.

Due diligence. Don't rush to a decision based on one recruiting class. Look around and make the best decision for the long term betterment of the program. Just because we all liked Kill doesn't mean it's disrespectful to move forward looking at the whole chess board. I mean my goodness people take off the blinders. Claeys may very well be our best option, but I would be disappointed if the U doesn't handle this like any top notch corporation would.

That sounds like the definition of insanity, just keep doing the process the way we have for the last 40 years, get a committee together, make a list, go down the list and hire the best coach. We got lucky with Kill, he was about 10th on the list and worked out. Hoke, Pelini were all ahead of him on the list and we caught a break not getting them. We have a winner in TC. He may need some polish as a head coach, but he's a '7' as a coaching candidate and we are a '5' as a coaching job until someone takes the program back to relevance. If you are dreaming of bringing in an 9 or a 10 keep dreaming, they won't come here and if they do, once the makeup wears off, we will find out they were really a '4' .

I think some fans still believe that the "right" candidate is lurking out there someone, and if the U can only hire the "right" candidate, he will come in, immediately wipe away all of the issues that have kept the U from being a top program, and lead the Gophers to a new Golden Age of football relevance.

Look - I will be the first to admit that a coach makes a difference. But, there are reasons why the Gophers have not won a B1G title in 40 years. If you expect a coaching change to make the difference, then you have to believe that the coaching change will also address all of the other issues that have kept the Gophers from winning a conference title for 40 years.

The 2.5 million Kill was making this year can get you a pretty good up and coming coach. This isn't the former Norther Illinois staff anymore, we are missing the head coach. It's almost like people think Kill had very little impact on anything, and it's just business as usual without him. Claeys has proven nothing as a head coach.

We're not getting the top five up-and-comers out there this year whether we pay $2.5 million or not. And without an AD, we may not get any of the next five. We would be choosing from the second tier at least, and it's always a crapshoot. I'm not 100% sold that Claeys can keep this moving. But he's less risky than rolling the dice on a second tier up-and-comer. So we might as well keep Claeys and the huge benefit he brings: stability. In three years if it hasn't worked out, we'll have an AD in place, facilities built and probably less competition for coaches.

We're not getting the top five up-and-comers out there this year whether we pay $2.5 million or not. And without an AD, we may not get any of the next five. We would be choosing from the second tier at least, and it's always a crapshoot. I'm not 100% sold that Claeys can keep this moving. But he's less risky than rolling the dice on a second tier up-and-comer. So we might as well keep Claeys and the huge benefit he brings: stability. In three years if it hasn't worked out, we'll have an AD in place, facilities built and probably less competition for coaches.

You don't really know that and neither do I. Like I've said before, there's no guarantee all of the assistants stay. People just assume that because they were loyal to Kill, they'll be loyal to Claeys. If the Gophers lose out do you still think Claeys is less risky? I don't. I really think the Gophers need to let the season play out before making a decision. You can still sign Claeys to an extension after the regular season in early December, which is still 2 full months before signing day.

The money Devaney was making this year can get you a pretty good up and coming coach. It's almost like people think Devaney had very little impact on anything, and it's just business as usual without him. Osborne has proven nothing as a head coach.

FIFY - Lincoln, NE 1970

The money Devaney was making this year can get you a pretty good up and coming coach. It's almost like people think Devaney had very little impact on anything, and it's just business as usual without him. Osborne has proven nothing as a head coach.

FIFY - Lincoln, NE 1970

I didn't realize Jerry Kill and staff won eight B1G titles and two national championships.

Nothing has changed. Claeys is very flawed, but they can't do any better. Nobody established wants this job.

Sent from my LGLS740 using Tapatalk

I agree. But bump up the money and you will have plenty of interest !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You get Pete Najarian in here and that money will be no problem. Plus keep Kahler out of all deals

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom