Does tonight's game change your opinion of Claeys getting FT job?

Does tonight's game change your opinion of Claeys getting FT job?

• They won me over, give him the job.

Votes: 23 17.4%
  • The last minute really was a cause for concern. Need more time to evaluate.

Votes: 38 28.8%
  • A single game wasn't going to sway me, he's the right guy.

Votes: 48 36.4%
  • I need more time to evaluate, regardless of how tonight went.

Votes: 23 17.4%

• Total voters
We get to watch this staff for the rest of this season. If they continue to screw up like they did in the final 19 seconds of last night game then no thanks. I'd rather have coaches that find ways to win rather than lose games. Calling a pass play that uses 17 of 19 seconds was beyond stupid.

Obviously the only right answer is that more time is needed to evaluate. As true as it is that 19 seconds aren't enough to judge the coaching performance, it's also true that 59 minutes and 41 seconds aren't either. It was a home night game in which the crowd and the team had as much emotion as they're ever going to have. The Gophers have looked great one game and horrible the next, and too often the most recent game is treated as the final, conclusive word.

Long story short, the administration and athletic department should take their time.

Well said (but not too much time)!

The fact that they noticed the clock ticking down is incredibly disturbing from a fan perspective

It was very obvious to me that the coaching staff has very little faith in the passing game

Your take away from this game is we have little faith in our passing game?

The last 19 seconds was atrocious. Prior to that it was the best this team looked all year. Let's not forget that.

This was the best football we have played all year. I watched the game and was very pleased with how we played against a top program. This game had much more impressive play than the stinkers against Kent st and Ohio. There are no moral victories and it stunk to lose. The last 19 seconds were frustrating but overall I liked what I saw from the coaches.

It was our best performance this year by far. Any tine you hire a person for a new position there is a learning curve. A coordinator being promoted to head coach will be better in his second season than his first. Claeys will learn from this game, and he'll learn more during the rest of this season as he finds his voice and style in a new role. That's the way every job works.

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk

Anyone willing to base the future of the program based upon 19 seconds really needs to do some soul searching. The program is in much better shape now than when Kill took over, now is not the time to abandon ship.

I think the Gophers played toe-to-toe to the very end with Michigan.

Hindsight, I see the following miscues that they should have done better:

1. Subbing Santoso with Mortell to punt away the ball. Claeys should have stuck with Mortell and he would have punted the ball better IMHO.

2. They should have done a run a QB sneak or something instead of wasting nine seconds or by switching alignment. It may have forced Michigan to call a timeout.

3. Kick the FG instead of going for a win. Take a chance with Speight in going into OT.

'Just some Sunday morning QB-ing.

The thing that the coaches and players have to ask themselves everyday is: "What have you done today to get better?" (Jerry Kill).

Going forward, I think Claeys and the team as a whole will improve, and Yes Claeys is my vote for the next coach. The new AD can install his own guy should the team flounder under Claeys.

They played their best game in Minneapolis against a very good Michigan team in nearly forty years and now Gopherhole wants to pass on the coach that had three days to prepare himself for the opportunity.

Pathetic.

A few people don't represent everyone. I still see a majority of posts indicating they think Claeys will and should get the job.

I think the Gophers played toe-to-toe to the very end with Michigan.

Hindsight, I see the following miscues that they should have done better:

1. Subbing Santoso with Mortell to punt away the ball. Claeys should have stuck with Mortell and he would have punted the ball better IMHO.

2. They should have done a run a QB sneak or something instead of wasting nine seconds or by switching alignment. It may have forced Michigan to call a timeout.

3. Kick the FG instead of going for a win. Take a chance with Speight in going into OT.

'Just some Sunday morning QB-ing.

The thing that the coaches and players have to ask themselves everyday is: "What have you done today to get better?" (Jerry Kill).

Going forward, I think Claeys and the team as a whole will improve, and Yes Claeys is my vote for the next coach. The new AD can install his own guy should the team flounder under Claeys.

Nice post. Although, I have no issue with letting Santoso punt. I too am tired of Mortell's line drives that get returned.

Nice post. Although, I have no issue with letting Santoso punt. I too am tired of Mortell's line drives that get returned.

I didnt have a problem with the punt either. We had a chance to win and just didnt get it in. I wouldnt have done the line shift and probably would have let a rb leap over the pile rather than the sneak at the end but thats just me.

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

I didnt have a problem with the punt either. We had a chance to win and just didnt get it in. I wouldnt have done the line shift and probably would have let a rb leap over the pile rather than the sneak at the end but thats just me.

I think Leidner should have tried to bounce to the outside around the left end.

The punting thing bears further research. If Mortell really was not hurt, then i am just in shock. That bad punt cost us this game, period. Michigan had been going nowhere with their backup QB, and then just we gift box them unbelievable field position, for what? Suddenly they get confident and drive for the winning score.

With the way Mortell over kicks his coverage, hits low line drives, and kicks away from the coverage, we could have just as easily gift wrapped a special teams touchdown for them.

On Wednesday, TC & the STAFFERS had to pick the team up after the devastating news that this Coach Killer job had claimed another Coach just in time for this spooky week end match up with the #15 team in the nation. Coach Kill had lost his battle with the stress of this job at a time when ONCE AGAIN the University and the Athletic Department were enmeshed in controversy, chaos, totally distracted leadership at the administrative level coupled with the groundbreaking of a new athletic practice facility. The order of the priority of solving the Coach Kill coaching career ending shock was placed behind the need for the University of complete ALL the INVESTIGATIONS, hiring a NEW or the ACTING AD and then having the new AD hire A new full time coach.

TC & the STAFFERS will supposedly hold this whole thing together while the deeply wounded administration that is on a VERY short leash decides what it may be able to do...wants to do...and still has the credibility to do. The FINAL SOLUTION may take a few months...a year or perhaps a number of years to sift through. In the mean while, that administration MAY be able to institute stability by naming TC and the STAFFERS the FINAL SOLUTION to the football problem and by naming the ACTING AD to the job.

Do the ONLY thing you can do, while you can still do it Prexy K. FILL the vacancies NOW.

Otherwise, my best advice to TC and the STAFFERS is PICK UP your phones IF any new P5 Head Coaching hires start inquiring about your availability to be a new defensive coordinator or position coach. Do NOT count on the U of M administrators to do the right thing and the only thing to make sense. Don't trust those ba$tards TC & the STAFFERS.

Are we ready for a new Coaches greatest hits?

1 "I have a five year plan"
2 " I will need to recruit players which will fit my system"
3 " I will need three or four classes before my own players are in place"
4 Patience will be preached.

I pass

On Wednesday, TC & the STAFFERS had to pick the team up after the devastating news that this Coach Killer job had claimed another Coach just in time for this spooky week end match up with the #15 team in the nation. Coach Kill had lost his battle with the stress of this job at a time when ONCE AGAIN the University and the Athletic Department were enmeshed in controversy, chaos, totally distracted leadership at the administrative level coupled with the groundbreaking of a new athletic practice facility. The order of the priority of solving the Coach Kill coaching career ending shock was placed behind the need for the University of complete ALL the INVESTIGATIONS, hiring a NEW or the ACTING AD and then having the new AD hire A new full time coach.

TC & the STAFFERS will supposedly hold this whole thing together while the deeply wounded administration that is on a VERY short leash decides what it may be able to do...wants to do...and still has the credibility to do. The FINAL SOLUTION may take a few months...a year or perhaps a number of years to sift through. In the mean while, that administration MAY be able to institute stability by naming TC and the STAFFERS the FINAL SOLUTION to the football problem and by naming the ACTING AD to the job.

Do the ONLY thing you can do, while you can still do it Prexy K. FILL the vacancies NOW.

Otherwise, my best advice to TC and the STAFFERS is PICK UP your phones IF any new P5 Head Coaching hires start inquiring about your availability to be a new defensive coordinator or position coach. Do NOT count on the U of M administrators to do the right thing and the only thing to make sense. Don't trust those ba$tards TC & the STAFFERS.

I would agree that the best thing right now is to sign Beth and Tracy to a 1 year contract today. Nothing is going to sort out in the near future. Put them in charge of dealing with the issues and if they are up to the challenge give them long term security with competitive compensation. They will have earned it! If they are noir successes, start your searches.

I think Leidner should have tried to bounce to the outside around the left end.

I was actually hoping they would run a fake hand off naked bootleg and Leidner runs it in. You knew the defense was going to bite hard on the run up the middle. We've run this before near the goal line with a lot of success. I think Leidner scored on it against Michigan last year if I remember correctly.

I pass

I agree completely. By Monday Morning HIRE TC & his STAFFERS as the NEW head football coach at the U of M. Don't feel like the program was "born on third and hit a triple..." as Coach Mason would say. Realize that THIS TC and his STAFFERS were the heart and soul of Coach Kill's magic here at Minnesota....and where ever he had been.

The other thing is that the administration at the U of M is CURRENTLY in a world of hurt and is NOT in control of their own fate.

No

My stance is give claeys deal with low buy out and realistically give him 2-3 seasons to prove himself

We need stability

Sadly, this is very true - and we've had so many examples of it in the past, to the detriment of the program.

I would agree that the best thing right now is to sign Beth and Tracy to a 1 year contract today. Nothing is going to sort out in the near future. Put them in charge of dealing with the issues and if they are up to the challenge give them long term security with competitive compensation. They will have earned it! If they are noir successes, start your searches.

Would you hire a new coach and give that coach a one year deal? I don't think so. Certainly TC & his STAFFERS need a contract that would guarantee them as much time as they had if Coach Kill was still in the picture. Give them the SAME support Coach Kill had. Why do Minnesota Fans get so damn uppity? (Not saying you are being that way at all...

I love the suggestions to hire Claeys on a low year, low money, low buyout contract. If you suggest this you have no clue.
What, TC wouldn't be able to see through that?
What, recruits wouldn't be able to see through that?
It wouldn't happen and would accomplish nothing if it did.

I pass
As opposed to Claeys plan of being ultra conservative, triple shifting with 19 seconds left and the clock running, and 5 loss seasons?

New coach may definitely take a step back. If you are fine with 8-5 seasons keeping Claeys is the way to go.

No

My stance is give claeys deal with low buy out and realistically give him 2-3 seasons to prove himself

We need stability

If Claeys is as good as some people say and a candidate at other major jobs that contract will not be acceptable to him.

If that contract is acceptable to him it doesn't speak very well of the market demand for him.

Though I agree that would be the ideal way to sign him.

As opposed to Claeys plan of being ultra conservative, triple shifting with 19 seconds left and the clock running, and 5 loss seasons?

New coach may definitely take a step back. If you are fine with 8-5 seasons keeping Claeys is the way to go.

As opposed to a new Tim Brewster coach...

Why does anyone here think the U of MN bureaucracy will ever be conducive to bringing in and keeping a coach that will consistently win 10 games per season? Has 50 years of futility taught you nothing?!!!

Claeys is our best choice for the future of competitive football here at the U of MN.

Enough with the short-sighted whining here at the GH.

As opposed to a new Tim Brewster coach...

Why does anyone here think the U of MN bureaucracy will ever be conducive to bringing in and keeping a coach that will consistently win 10 games per season? Has 50 years of futility taught you nothing?!!!

Claeys is our best choice for the future of competitive football here at the U of MN.

Enough with the short-sighted whining here at the GH.

As I said, if you are happy with 8-5 and think it is the best we can do. Keep Claeys.

I don't disagree with you.

Hiring a new coach is risky. I may be in the minority, I may be wrong, but I believe the program should strive to be great not accept an 8 win ceiling. Even if it means making a hire that might fail.

I'm not asking for ten wins per year. I'm asking for ten plus wins once every 5-7 years.

One 8+ win season in the last 47 years.
I'm sure a whole lot of A list coaches are ready to come to this Train Wreck.

Top Bottom