Does tonight's game change your opinion of Claeys getting FT job?

Does tonight's game change your opinion of Claeys getting FT job?

• They won me over, give him the job.

Votes: 23 17.4%
  • The last minute really was a cause for concern. Need more time to evaluate.

Votes: 38 28.8%
  • A single game wasn't going to sway me, he's the right guy.

Votes: 48 36.4%
  • I need more time to evaluate, regardless of how tonight went.

Votes: 23 17.4%

• Total voters

El Amin Fan

Reaction score
We really were the better team tonight, or so it seemed. The coaches had us prepared, had a great game plan and made some adjustments. At the end, they have cost us the game. How does tonight's game play into your opinion of getting the FT job?

If anything it gave me a little more confidence in this staff. We had a good gameplan to win. The clock mismanagement at the end is really frustrating, but it's something a new coach can learn from moving forward.

I called this thread on Friday

No, although we should have won it, I liked how we played. And although the last 19 seconds was a disaster, the rest of the game was very well coached (oh and except for the benching of Mortell).

I really liked what he did today except for the last 19 seconds. O well. I still want him to get the job.

Coaches did a great job. Thenlast 19 seconds was not so great but they really had the team ready. Go coach Claeys!

If anything it gave me a little more confidence in this staff. We had a good gameplan to win. The clock mismanagement at the end is really frustrating, but it's something a new coach can learn from moving forward.

I agree. The ending was rough, but you have to consider he got them to that point. He made it a real ballgame.

Consider this hypothetical: Claeys' Gophers play hard but are down 10 to Michigan throughout the 4th quarter. I'd be quite satisfied with how he and his staff prepared the team.

Nothing has changed. Claeys is very flawed, but they can't do any better. Nobody established wants this job.

Sent from my LGLS740 using Tapatalk

No, although we should have won it, I liked how we played. And although the last 19 seconds was a disaster, the rest of the game was very well coached (oh and except for the benching of Mortell).

Was he benched? He got roughed up tackling a guy tonight. Are we sure he wasn't hurt from that?

No way, i feel even better. The game went better, perhaps far better, than most of our expectations. A clock management brain fart is nothing new under the Kill regime. We take the good with the bad.

Loved the downfield aggressiveness and the defensive play against the run. This team can compete.

No, Gophers should have won. Mismanaged the last two minutes. Should have kicked a field goal. I still say the Gophers conduct a national search and invite people to apply and hire Lane Kiffin.

Was he benched? He got roughed up tackling a guy tonight. Are we sure he wasn't hurt from that?

Read in the postgame notes... Claeys said he took Mortell out because of his previous punt.

We really were the better team tonight, or so it seemed. The coaches had us prepared, had a great game plan and made some adjustments. At the end, they have cost us the game. How does tonight's game play into your opinion of getting the FT job?
The punting thing bears further research. If Mortell really was not hurt, then i am just in shock. That bad punt cost us this game, period. Michigan had been going nowhere with their backup QB, and then just we gift box them unbelievable field position, for what? Suddenly they get confident and drive for the winning score.

If Lane Kiffin is our next coach I will cancel my season tickets and will not watch a game as long as he is the coach. Can't stand that MF!

That's as pissed as I've ever been at the way the game ended, but 19 f*cked up seconds shouldn't determine Claeys being eliminated from being the head coach. You're going to have to see how the rest of the season plays out. They were basically prepared and they played hard. They play that way the rest of the season and I can easily see 3 more wins. Most likely Wisconsin, Illinois, and a minor bowl win. Then you have to give him strong consideration. Hell, he beats Wisconsin and Illinois and you have to strongly consider it right then because of the recruiting, no AD not withstanding.

But what a lost opportunity. Got the breaks and outplayed them and still had to watch them come across and grad that damned jug. I swear to God, being a Gopher fan is a curse.

Poorly worded answers for this poll. Try these:

1. No, he should still get the job.
2. Not sure, need more time to evaluate.
3. Tonight convinced me he should not get the job.
4. I don't care what happened tonight, I never thought he should get the job.

No, Gophers should have won. Mismanaged the last two minutes. Should have kicked a field goal. I still say the Gophers conduct a national search and invite people to apply and hire Lane Kiffin.

Why do a national search when all we have to do is call God down in Tuscaloosa?

This coaching staff has always been inept with in-game decision making...Its going to be hard to sell to a beleaguered fan base after an at best 5 win season. The new AD will want his/her own guy i'm sure.....Have to aim higher than what the current staff can achieve....Get a young energetic head coach from a non-power 6 school that can scheme and recruit.

PS. please put a freeze on the season ticket hikes now that we are garbage again to save what little loyal fan base we have..thx

I hate to over-react to a few minutes, but the last 19 seconds was as badly mismanaged as I've ever seen, and the decision to have Santoso punt was even more bizarre. He doesn't seem quite ready for prime time. I'm at least open to seeing who else is interested.

There's still 4 games left. How they go will say a lot.

Only if we get a new Offensive Coordinator. I don't want to settle for a coach that can prep the team but not coach a full 60 minutes during the game. Settling gets us coaches who say they can prep a team but don't, coaches who say the can recruit but can't and coaches who say the can manage a game but blink during the critical 20 seconds of a tight game.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

I wasn't ever for Claeys getting the job (not really against it either, just more of wait and see approach). The decisions that were made tonight, have now put me in the "no way in hell" camp. What Claeys was poor at tonight were the things that a head coach is responsible for. What Claeys did well tonight was mostly things that fell under his old role of a defensive coordinator. When the game was on the line tonight, we had someone performing terribly in the role of head coach. Who on earth brings out their placekicker for their first career punt in the 4th quarter protecting a 5 point lead backed up near his end zone. In some ways we were very lucky that that decision resulted in just a below average punt and not a complete shank, dropped snap, or block. Then you have all the poor decisions on the final drive capped off by the mind numbing quotes from Claeys explaining his thought process in the post game press conference. So many balls bounced the Gophers way to make it possible to overlook coaching decisions made before the final 19 seconds of the game.

I think Tracy Claeys is a very good defensive coordinator whose skills simply don't translate to "head coach". If the goal is to play ultra conservative (and the Gophers were ultra conservative in a lot of spots tonight),then you are going to be in a lot of close games and you will have to make the optimal strategic decisions late in those games. What we saw tonight was the polar opposite of optimal and I am not sure someone can improve from that level of decision making to "good in late game situations".

No way, i feel even better. The game went better, perhaps far better, than most of our expectations. A clock management brain fart is nothing new under the Kill regime. We take the good with the bad.

Loved the downfield aggressiveness and the defensive play against the run. This team can compete.

This team is so hard to figure out this year. We play very well against TCU and Michigan and at the same time we get dominated by the likes of Nebraska and Northwestern.

I think the team rode a lot of emotion into this one. Will be interesting to see how the next few weeks go in tough places to play when things will have settled in and the emotions of the Kill situation won't be running as high as they were for this game.

This coaching staff has always been inept with in-game decision making...Its going to be hard to sell to a beleaguered fan base after an at best 5 win season. staff. The new AD will want his/her own guy i'm sure.....Have to aim higher than what the current staff can achieve....Get a young energetic head coach from a non-power 6 school that can scheme and recruit.

PS. please put a freeze on the season ticket hikes now that we are garbage again to save what little loyal fan base we have..thx

The new AD won't be in place until Spring at the earliest. What do you suggest they do in the meantime? Go without a coach for January-whenever and have no recruiting class?

Either Beth/Kaler hire someone else or Claeys gets the job. Waiting for the new AD is madness.

The punting thing bears further research. If Mortell really was not hurt, then i am just in shock. That bad punt cost us this game, period. Michigan had been going nowhere with their backup QB, and then just we gift box them unbelievable field position, for what? Suddenly they get confident and drive for the winning score.

I agree it was a baffling decision, but we had the backup QB in a 3rd and 10 situation and allowed him to complete an f'ing touchdown...then gave up the 2 point conversion. That was classic Gopher pass defense of the early 2000's coming back to life at the worst possible time.

The new AD won't be in place until Spring at the earliest. What do you suggest they do in the meantime? Go without a coach for January-whenever and have no recruiting class?

Either Beth/Kaler hire someone else or Claeys gets the job. Waiting for the new AD is madness.

We're truly screwed. There simply is no good option here. I wish there was some way we could get an AD in here by early December. The candidates will be every bit as uninspiring under Goetz/Kaler as they were when Maturi was a lame duck on his way out.

I am still in shock that just five days ago we were hoping Coach Kill would pull out some magic and beat Michigan. Now he has resigned and we are debating the merits of coach Claeys. Still seems so unreal.

I wasn't ever for Claeys getting the job (not really against it either, just more of wait and see approach). The decisions that were made tonight, have now put me in the "no way in hell" camp. What Claeys was poor at tonight were the things that a head coach is responsible for. What Claeys did well tonight was mostly things that fell under his old role of a defensive coordinator. When the game was on the line tonight, we had someone performing terribly in the role of head coach. Who on earth brings out their placekicker for their first career punt in the 4th quarter protecting a 5 point lead backed up near his end zone. In some ways we were very lucky that that decision resulted in just a below average punt and not a complete shank, dropped snap, or block. Then you have all the poor decisions on the final drive capped off by the mind numbing quotes from Claeys explaining his thought process in the post game press conference. So many balls bounced the Gophers way to make it possible to overlook coaching decisions made before the final 19 seconds of the game.

I think Tracy Claeys is a very good defensive coordinator whose skills simply don't translate to "head coach". If the goal is to play ultra conservative (and the Gophers were ultra conservative in a lot of spots tonight),then you are going to be in a lot of close games and you will have to make the optimal strategic decisions late in those games. What we saw tonight was the polar opposite of optimal and I am not sure someone can improve from that level of decision making to "good in late game situations".

Bring back Brewster right? :cool:

It has given me pause, yes, but let's see how the rest of season plays out.

I think the way we played showed how strong of a coaching staff we do have here right now. Despite this frustrating loss and the bizarre last 19 seconds I was still impressed with how these coaches had the players ready to go despite all the emotional turmoil. They just lost their head coach just a few days ago. Despite all that Claeys and crew stepped up and coached a very good game.

Top Bottom