CBJ performance

Article by Andy Greder/St.Paul Pioneer Press (03/01)

Men’s basketball: Gophers AD Mark Coyle sees “Top 25 team” next year​

Everyone in the rotation has eligibility remaining for the 2024-25 season​

It looks like the Gophers men’s basketball team will not make the NCAA tournament for a fifth straight season — barring a road win over Northwestern next weekend and run in the Big Ten tournament. But there’s always next year.

And that is where Gophers Athletics Director Mark Coyle has one eye as well. But first he addressed this year’s squad on the Golden Gopher Podcast this week.

“We’ve seen progress,” Coyle said. “… We are much better. We are much more competitive in games. I really appreciate and respect when you spend time with a team, they actually like each other and they get along. It’s a good vibe. I give (head coach Ben Johnson) a lot of credit, he’s kept that team close together.”

Johnson has made huge strides in Year 3, taking the Gophers from 2-17 in Big Ten play last season to 8-9 going into Saturday’s game against Penn State at Williams Arena.

Johnson also has briefly talked about next season. Everyone in the rotation has eligibility remaining for the 2024-25 season and Johnson has expressed belief that all key players come back to build on what they’ve started.

“I think, if everybody comes back, we will be a Top 25 team preseason next year,” Coyle said. “I have no issue saying that.”

For the Gophers to be in the best position to make March Madness next year, they must continue to navigate the NCAA transfer portal and address the poor nonconference schedule they had this season. KenPom has the Gophers’ adjusted nonconference schedule at 362 out of 362 in the nation.

“I think next year you will see that schedule more competitive,” Coyle forecast. “At the same time, people are not going to want to play us.”
Wonder if he still sees that today? In any event, I'm glad he has a high bar for next year.

It looks like the Gophers men’s basketball team will not make the NCAA tournament for a fifth straight season — barring a road win over Northwestern next weekend and run in the Big Ten tournament. But there’s always next year.

And that is where Gophers Athletics Director Mark Coyle has one eye as well. But first he addressed this year’s squad on the Golden Gopher Podcast this week.

“We’ve seen progress,” Coyle said. “… We are much better. We are much more competitive in games. I really appreciate and respect when you spend time with a team, they actually like each other and they get along. It’s a good vibe. I give (head coach Ben Johnson) a lot of credit, he’s kept that team close together.”

Johnson has made huge strides in Year 3, taking the Gophers from 2-17 in Big Ten play last season to 8-9 going into Saturday’s game against Penn State at Williams Arena.

Johnson also has briefly talked about next season. Everyone in the rotation has eligibility remaining for the 2024-25 season and Johnson has expressed belief that all key players come back to build on what they’ve started.

“I think, if everybody comes back, we will be a Top 25 team preseason next year,” Coyle said. “I have no issue saying that.”

For the Gophers to be in the best position to make March Madness next year, they must continue to navigate the NCAA transfer portal and address the poor nonconference schedule they had this season. KenPom has the Gophers’ adjusted nonconference schedule at 362 out of 362 in the nation.

“I think next year you will see that schedule more competitive,” Coyle forecast. “At the same time, people are not going to want to play us.”
Pretty clear that expectations are going to be much higher for the 24-25 season.

I like Coyle saying this publicly - good for all involved.

How do we know how quick Betts is? How do we know how athletic Betts is? How do we know how good Betts is at handling the ball? How many on this board go and watch the team practice? How do the GH'ers really know what the team has in Betts or the Euro for that matter?
Likely not a guy from South Dakota😃

It is acceptable and has been accepted, as evidenced by the fact the games were played. The strategy was not only acceptable but wise.
I don't think it was too wise. I think they would be better off going 1-1 against two tougher teams than roughing up Bethune Cookman. We are getting killed in the rankings because of it. There are other teams that have worse records but being given more credibility because they played a decent schedule.

Look - Ben has done a great job with this team. The schedule was beyond bad and a kick in the face to season ticket holders that pay in the range of a grand per seat.

I understand the reasons for the nonconference schedule, enjoyed watching all of those games, and I'm not angry about it. Still, one could go "weak" without going bottom-of-the-barrel. It's true that the schedulers couldn't be certain of how strong or weak some of these teams would be.

One can appreciate the "developmental" nature of the nonconference schedule while admitting the that the nonconference schedule has limited our NET ranking. Absent a terrific season finish through the BT tournament, that ranking will eliminate us from consideration for the NCAA tournament and sharply reduce our chances of getting a top half seed in the NIT.
No one on this board thought our non-conference schedule would be a possible impediment to an NCAA berth. It’s quite possible, this is also a surprise to CBJ & Coyle.

We may well be ahead of schedule, for this season. We have finished above .500 twice since 2000 and it seems plausible there were years in those 20+ years where the league was down/weak et al - so that to me negates that concept. No one’s going to remember or give two 💩 about it in a couple years anyway.

Christie
Hawkins
Payne
Fox
Garcia

Have all either improved more than expected or been better than imagined.

Verdict = Strong Buy

It's like this.

Everyone is having a good time.

Out on a nice boat on a nice lake on a nice day. Sunny, having fun.

The motor stops. The current turns the bow, and you drift.

Trying to start the motor.

On one side are alligators.

On another side is shore with festivities going on.

Motor is stalled.

Or will start? Stay tuned.

It's like this.

Everyone is having a good time.

Out on a nice boat on a nice lake on a nice day. Sunny, having fun.

The motor stops. The current turns the bow, and you drift.

Trying to start the motor.

On one side are alligators.

On another side is shore with festivities going on.

Motor is stalled.

Or will start? Stay tuned.

Is there another boat once you get past the alligators?

Is there another boat once you get past the alligators?

Get rid of the boat because the motor stalled?

Or you could say the skipper doesn't know what he's doing. For this season I don't think you can say that AT ALL. It's been a good ride.

BUT if the boat drifts into "scr*wed," then the happy ride turned into -- not a disaster -- an unhappy one.

We will soon find out. Right now. The motor stalled and people are watching what the *($@)$^(# about to happen.

Or you could say the skipper doesn't know what he's doing. For this season I don't think you can say that AT ALL. It's been a good ride.

BUT if the boat drifts into "scr*wed," then the happy ride turned into -- not a disaster -- an unhappy one.

We will soon find out. Right now. The motor stalled and people are watching what the *($@)$^(# about to happen.

So Row The Boat?

As the boat owner, I'm at least a little concerned my passengers might opt for a boat that has already reached the festival. I hear they have a few more drinks on board too. We seem to always have problems with the "(S@S^)"ing motor.

Maybe they ran out of gas.

Looking around for reserves onboard...

(Related to other thread dialogue.)

Top Bottom