CBJ performance

The Gophers have been irrelevant since the Clem days. Tubby, Pitino and Ben are a combined 114-199 in the B10 since the 2008 season. That is a winning percentage of .364 . In the last 17 seasons the Gophers have had ONE winning B10 season! ONE! What? ONE! Wow. A very weak Big10 this year as well. Gopher fans are always waiting for year 3 and 4 and 5 . For What? Ben is currently 14-41 in league play, let's keep on waiting!
This is a hard stat to share when we're so close to having a second .500+ season. Totally feasible to win three of the last four which would put us at 11-9...

Although both were guys easily in our “prime territory” of recruiting.

I’ve read talk on GH before that Garcia wanted to come here out of PL but Pitino wouldn’t recruit him, or some such.

Fox probably wasn’t being recruited by DI if he went to Northern State. But obviously can play.
I don’t know first hand, but he definitely recruited him.

There was a lot of anti Pitino momentum that appeared in the local prep circles during this era, and a lot of that chatter filtered to the gopher hole. For whatever reason, Minnesota behaves extremely provincially, to its own detriment imo. Sometimes it feels like there is a faction who’d rather lose with hometown kids than win with out of state recruits who choose
to be gophers.

And if my memory serves, Royce White committed without an official offer…. There was precedent if Garcia really wanted to be a gopher haha.

Critics have a point about no big opponent victory (let's be realistic with Minnesota), no tournament, not even NIT, etc.

They are not conceding anything but agree we will learn more next year, that the team has improved this season to see what happens.

I think an extension helps him recruit. Tells players he will be there for the long term.

no raise yet.... Next year will be another MAKE or Break year. Perform 2 years in a row and your good for a while
Make or break but extension helps recruiting?

2 of the three guys you mentioned were guys he brought in via the portal.
They were and they had multiple years available. There is no one in the program right now to fill those shoes and only Grove is coming in at this point.

You said we were the doormat of the B1G and had no hope. But I have a poss poor attitude for pointing out the programs high note was marred by cheating.
And he doubles down.

This essentially accuses the 2004 women's team of cheating, because how else would a Gopher team attain that level of accomplishment?

And he doubles down.

This essentially accuses the 2004 women's team of cheating, because how else would a Gopher team attain that level of accomplishment?
What? Did the 1997 team not cheat?

You said we were the doormat of the B1G and had no hope. But I have a poss poor attitude for pointing out the programs high note was marred by cheating.
Raise the BANNERS, Jboy!!!!

It happened. Go Tar Heels!!!

They were and they had multiple years available. There is no one in the program right now to fill those shoes and only Grove is coming in at this point.
Seems like the portal has made it pretty doable to fill gaps in the roster where recruiting didn't hit, as long as you have a nice foundation of other spots and you're not trying to fill every spot (As we were in year 1 and 2)

Critics have a point about no big opponent victory (let's be realistic with Minnesota), no tournament, not even NIT, etc.

They are not conceding anything but agree we will learn more next year, that the team has improved this season to see what happens.
I've read this at least 10 times and still have no idea what the fuck you're attempting to say.

Maybe the worst sentence construction in GH history.

I've read this at least 10 times and still have no idea what the fuck you're attempting to say.

Maybe the worst sentence construction in GH history.

Why thank you. Yea, I use a few writing styles.

You should see my "Stravinsky The Rite if Spring" style. You wouldn't get that either.

It's still too early to make a complete evaluation. How do.you evaluate recruits that are still freshmen and sophomores.

The next frames are what count. What is the payoff, if any. Too early to know.

Critics will say little has been achieved despite the big improvement.

It's obvious this goes to next season for clarity.
I mean won't there be freshman and sophomore recruits pretty much every year?

How many underclassmen started for Illinois or in the core rotation?

Ty Rodgers was the only underclassman who started for them last night. He's a soph who was the #57 player (RSCI) in 2022. Dainja came off the bench and is a junior although I don't know if his first year counts because he played in only 3 games with Baylor that year. The remainder of the top 7 last night are seniors with four of them being 5th year seniors.

Seems like the portal has made it pretty doable to fill gaps in the roster where recruiting didn't hit, as long as you have a nice foundation of other spots and you're not trying to fill every spot (As we were in year 1 and 2)

Yes, but as we saw last night, portal recruiting isn't equal.

Ty Rodgers was the only underclassman who started for them last night. He's a soph who was the #57 player (RSCI) in 2022. Dainja came off the bench and is a junior although I don't know if his first year counts because he played in only 3 games with Baylor that year. The remainder of the top 7 last night are seniors with four of them being 5th year seniors.
There is no basketball rule for games played like football if I'm correct. Play in a game and it counts as a season unless a medical waiver is obtained.

I think it'll help Ben a lot that we are actually relevant this year and not a total tank job.

NIL still an issue but hopefully getting better.

I agree. He should have more to sell after this season. I also think that the 4 PAC 12 teams coming in should help recruiting.

There is no basketball rule for games played like football if I'm correct. Play in a game and it counts as a season unless a medical waiver is obtained.

I think that's true but I didn't investigate whether he received a medical waiver. That's why I said I wasn't sure whether his first season counted.

Yes, but as we saw last night, portal recruiting isn't equal.
Hawkins was 12 assists and no turnovers. Great portal get. I'd say what hurt last night was playing 7 players. Illinois sprinkled in 3 more guys with 2-3 minutes. That can go a long way to being fresher or seeing if there are other options.

Home games are must wins this week.

Hawkins was 12 assists and no turnovers. Great portal get. I'd say what hurt last night was playing 7 players. Illinois sprinkled in 3 more guys with 2-3 minutes. That can go a long way to being fresher or seeing if there are other options.

Home games are must wins this week.
Didn’t get to see the game last. Did Ola J get any minutes?

Top Bottom