CBJ performance

One injury fine, more than one than any program in the country would take a huge hit, this is just not true.
Also depends on who gets hurt. For example, most basketball teams would struggle if their starting point guard gets injured similar to the way a football team often struggles when their QB gets hurt.

The hope is that you have the depth to withstand injuries but doesn't always work out that way for one reason or another.

I think an extension helps him recruit. Tells players he will be there for the long term.

no raise yet.... Next year will be another MAKE or Break year. Perform 2 years in a row and your good for a while
I kind of wonder how much stock recruits/transfers even put in the length of coaches contracts these days.

A coach having X number of years left on their deal really doesn't guarantee anything. I mean I guess you don't want to see a guy in the final year of his contract but outside of that it is all just window dressing anyway and doesn't really guarantee the coach is going to be around for any certain length of time.

Avoiding the word "disaster," Johnson's performance demonstrates that he's a well-below-average Power 6 coach, especially when one compares him with other coaches who took over comparable situations the same year he started here, as Selection Sunday has done in his other thread.

To Johnson's credit, this year's roster is quite good. I think that's a combination of his and his staff's ability to sell this less-than-ideal situation from the standpoint of the prospect of winning games and that this university and city can and do attract good student athletes if you sell them the right way. I've never bought the self-hating notion that you can't attract recruits to this place because it sucks.

I do think this roster would win more games under better coaching. Obviously there's no way to prove that or prove otherwise.

Ben coming back for a year four is practically a foregone conclusion at this point. We will find out whether he can retain Garcia as well as whether this year is part of a sustainable upswing or, as the movie line goes, this is as good as it gets.

Avoiding the word "disaster," Johnson's performance demonstrates that he's a well-below-average Power 6 coach, especially when one compares him with other coaches who took over comparable situations the same year he started here, as Selection Sunday has done in his other thread.

To Johnson's credit, this year's roster is quite good. I think that's a combination of his and his staff's ability to sell this less-than-ideal situation from the standpoint of the prospect of winning games and that this university and city can and do attract good student athletes if you sell them the right way. I've never bought the self-hating notion that you can't attract recruits to this place because it sucks.

I do think this roster would win more games under better coaching. Obviously there's no way to prove that or prove otherwise.

Ben coming back for a year four is practically a foregone conclusion at this point. We will find out whether he can retain Garcia as well as whether this year is part of a sustainable upswing or, as the movie line goes, this is as good as it gets.
Agree. Although, the only reason Garcia is here is because his family is here. He chose other schools twice previously.

Exactly!
The Gophers got beat because they didn’t respond to how well Neb was prepared and executed their game plan. Neb nullified the Gophers strengths and played very well. We had no answer in spite of our effort. I was totally impressed with Neb as much as I was disappointed with the Gophers.

Me too. Yesterday I posted in another thread about the most lopsided Big Ten losses so far in the month of February (through 2/25). There were six losses worse than 18 points this month. There was another team that tied the Gophers with an 18 point loss.

So, there were 8 games where a Big Ten team lost by 18 points or more so far in the month of February. Nebraska (at home) inflicted 3 of those. Nebraska has been a very tough place to play for a road team this season. They also beat Purdue at home in January by 16 points.

Gopher basketball is going in the right direction. CBJ has done an admirable job with a youngish group of starters. MN defends much better as a group--only takes one guy to blow up a defensive possession. MN plays a much better brand of bb to the eye test--fewer turnovers, fewer bad shots, defense. Asuma coming in, good get for CBJ. I have hopes to get recruit T. Bartlett (NV) as a 2025 big (6'10" 250+). I assume Garcia sticks until proven otherwise. CBJ has that discussion and plans accordingly.

With Wash, Oregon, UCLA, USC coming in next year, the lower half of BTN will be more crowded, so MN will likely be middle/upper tier, hopefully #3-#6 and an NCAA bid. Time will tell, but things are looking good!

More importantly, finish 2024 conf on a high note winning some games down to the wire! We are still due for an upset win--Illinois plays much like MN, just slightly faster with a few more rebounds. Garcia can guard Hawkins and they can stretch each other.

The Gophers have been irrelevant since the Clem days. Tubby, Pitino and Ben are a combined 114-199 in the B10 since the 2008 season. That is a winning percentage of .364 . In the last 17 seasons the Gophers have had ONE winning B10 season! ONE! What? ONE! Wow. A very weak Big10 this year as well. Gopher fans are always waiting for year 3 and 4 and 5 . For What? Ben is currently 14-41 in league play, let's keep on waiting!

The Gophers have been irrelevant since the Clem days. Tubby, Pitino and Ben are a combined 114-199 in the B10 since the 2008 season. That is a winning percentage of .364 . In the last 17 seasons the Gophers have had ONE winning B10 season! ONE! What? ONE! Wow. A very weak Big10 this year as well. Gopher fans are always waiting for year 3 and 4 and 5 . For What? Ben is currently 14-41 in league play, let's keep on waiting!
I respectfully couldn't disagree with your sentiment more. MN has tried hiring the big name numerous times, and what it got them was controversy, suspensions, and NCAA violations. It comes from the coach and his staff. Now, we are attempting to build a team the proper way, with one of our own, getting good kids. No drama, cheating, sexual crimes, of investigations. Winning is important to all of us, but NOT the way that has become synonymous with MN basketball--legally troubled transfers/recruits, thug hot heads, dummies that can't write papers, and guys too cool for school. Its not worth it. CBJ is building the right way with the right guys, not every 4-star recruit that comes along regardless of character. MN can have a good team and be drama free. The current trajectory by CBJ and his group is up in every metric.

There’s no if for next year

He’s gotta make moves regardless.

Roster retention is a huge part of the job. So if everyone is not back, and they suck again. That would actually be the most concerning

Maybe Neb. has a better coaching staff. Perhaps Fred didn’t waste scholarships on players like Dickinson or Fox.
Hard to take a poster seriously when he doesn’t know the names of our players and thinks Fox is a wasted scholarship.

Since you feel that way, why are you here?

just to have a frame of reference for evaluating coaches:

Pitino - 8 seasons - NCAA 2 times - NIT 1 time (Champions) - post-season 3 of 8 (37%)

Tubby - 6 seasons - NCAA 3 times - NIT 2 times - post season 5 of 6 (83%)

Monson - 8 seasons - NCAA 1 time - NIT 4 times - post season 5 of 8 (62%)

Clem - 13 seasons - NCAA 6 times - NIT 4 times (2 Champions) - post season 10 of 13 (77%)

---corrected to fix typo----

Last edited:

Although both were guys easily in our “prime territory” of recruiting.

I’ve read talk on GH before that Garcia wanted to come here out of PL but Pitino wouldn’t recruit him, or some such.

Fox probably wasn’t being recruited by DI if he went to Northern State. But obviously can play.

just to have a frame of reference for evaluating coaches:

Pitino - 8 seasons - NCAA 3 times - NIT 1 time (Champions) - post-season 4 of 8 (50%)

Tubby - 6 seasons - NCAA 3 times - NIT 2 times - post season 5 of 6 (83%)

Monson - 8 seasons - NCAA 1 time - NIT 4 times - post season 5 of 8 (62%)

Clem - 13 seasons - NCAA 6 times - NIT 4 times (2 Champions) - post season 10 of 13 (77%)

Pitino went to the NCAA tournament twice in 8 years (2017 & 2019).

Gopher basketball is going in the right direction. CBJ has done an admirable job with a youngish group of starters. MN defends much better as a group--only takes one guy to blow up a defensive possession. MN plays a much better brand of bb to the eye test--fewer turnovers, fewer bad shots, defense. Asuma coming in, good get for CBJ. I have hopes to get recruit T. Bartlett (NV) as a 2025 big (6'10" 250+). I assume Garcia sticks until proven otherwise. CBJ has that discussion and plans accordingly.

With Wash, Oregon, UCLA, USC coming in next year, the lower half of BTN will be more crowded, so MN will likely be middle/upper tier, hopefully #3-#6 and an NCAA bid. Time will tell, but things are looking good!

More importantly, finish 2024 conf on a high note winning some games down to the wire! We are still due for an upset win--Illinois plays much like MN, just slightly faster with a few more rebounds. Garcia can guard Hawkins and they can stretch each other.
Youngish?

3 of 5 are playing at least their third season.

Youngish?

3 of 5 are playing at least their third season.
Yea I get what you are saying, but I think having a freshman ball handler and sophomore big Payne in a key spot kind of makes us “youngish”. Maybe I should have said “major minutes” instead of starters. JOJ started a lot as a soph also. As a team we could be considered oldish strictly by age!

I kind of wonder how much stock recruits/transfers even put in the length of coaches contracts these days.

A coach having X number of years left on their deal really doesn't guarantee anything. I mean I guess you don't want to see a guy in the final year of his contract but outside of that it is all just window dressing anyway and doesn't really guarantee the coach is going to be around for any certain length of time.
I don't think it has a huge effect, but if I was going to play college BBall I would surely want to know how long my coach was going to be there.

Top Bottom