CBJ performance

Hawkins was 12 assists and no turnovers. Great portal get. I'd say what hurt last night was playing 7 players. Illinois sprinkled in 3 more guys with 2-3 minutes. That can go a long way to being fresher or seeing if there are other options.

Home games are must wins this week.

Like most people, I am extremely pleased that Elijah Hawkins is on our team. I also think Mitchell is a definite improvement over some of our guard play last season. There's no question that these two guys have helped with Hawkins making a world of difference.

Having said that, we have not been able to get the depth and consistency of portal talent that some of the higher rated teams have, obviously not to the level of Illinois' portal recruiting. That's understandable given our situation compared to some of the upper echelon teams.

I don't know yet how many portal players we'll require for next season. I think Johnson will be in his best situation yet for attracting quality players here and I hope he is successful. I think the coach has a good eye for talent but the challenge is getting them to come here. The coach also has to understand that one should never overestimate his team's depth. Both of our most recent coaches usually seemed to be at least a player or two short of what they really needed to be as competitive as they could be in this league.

Gotta get 2 bigs in the portal. get a 6-6 type guy who can shoot!

1 Solid Guard and 1 Solid Post should get it done - Thoughts? (I'm banking this on JOJ and Ihnen being the only ones that don't return next year)

*I think we can get more than that but that's all you really need at this point. Much better spot than last couple of years.

I also expect Betts to get into the rotation next year.

He really hasn't earned more time. I've noticed him get a short leash on defense and then he looks for his shot too much when he is isn't the 1-3 option. I think he has the ability to be really good and see more time in his last two years. I hope he sees that and sticks with the program.

1 Solid Guard and 1 Solid Post should get it done - Thoughts? (I'm banking this on JOJ and Ihnen being the only ones that don't return next year)

*I think we can get more than that but that's all you really need at this point. Much better spot than last couple of years.

I also expect Betts to get into the rotation next year.

If all of the guards stay, I doubt he recruits another guard. He went with four this season (I thought that was a mistake at the time but the guards have been remarkably durable - knock on wood!). If they're all here, he'll have five and, knowing Johnson, he will want some available quality minutes for Asuma. If any of the guards leave, he definitely should get another one.

I think there is a better than 50% chance that JOJ and Ihnen leave. I would say the same thing about Betts. JOJ has enough of a resume at this point that I think he would have a fair number of offers. In terms of transferring, I think Betts would be worse off if he risked another year of little playing time.

He really hasn't earned more time. I've noticed him get a short leash on defense and then he looks for his shot too much when he is isn't the 1-3 option. I think he has the ability to be really good and see more time in his last two years. I hope he sees that and sticks with the program.
JOJ has shown flashes of the kind of player he can be but he has been way too inconsistent and right now he is a liability on defense. On top of that Fox has been playing at such a high level that it is tough to justify not giving him the minutes.

If all of the guards stay, I doubt he recruits another guard. He went with four this season (I thought that was a mistake at the time but the guards have been remarkably durable - knock on wood!). If they're all here, he'll have five and, knowing Johnson, he will want some available quality minutes for Asuma. If any of the guards leave, he definitely should get another one.

I think there is a better than 50% chance that JOJ and Ihnen leave. I would say the same thing about Betts. JOJ has enough of a resume at this point that I think he would have a fair number of offers. In terms of transferring, I think Betts would be worse off if he risked another year of little playing time.
Ehhh you may be right but I'd hope he'd upgrade that Mitchell spot.

What I've seen from some of the better teams is that they don't have an issue with bringing in competition. I understand there's value in loyalty, but I think if we really want to jump, you add a Grad-Transfer type that can give you more than what you're getting from Mitchell / Carrington.

I'd say the same about a front court guy. IF there's a guy you can get that'll make you better, get him. Payne and Garcia will be tough to pull minutes from. And Fox will always be energy off the bench. Those guys will still get their time.

I don't feel as confident next year if we don't add some type(s) of difference maker to what we have now, and It would also be nice to have a roster where you go 9 deep.

The Asuma situation is interesting as I'm curious what type of impact he'll have in year 1.

What I've seen from some of the better teams is that they don't have an issue with bringing in competition. I understand there's value in loyalty, but I think if we really want to jump, you add a Grad-Transfer type that can give you more than what you're getting from Mitchell / Carrington.

I'd say the same about a front court guy. IF there's a guy you can get that'll make you better, get him. Payne and Garcia will be tough to pull minutes from. And Fox will always be energy off the bench. Those guys will still get their time.

I don't feel as confident next year if we don't add some type(s) of difference maker to what we have now, and It would also be nice to have a roster where you go 9 deep.

The Asuma situation is interesting as I'm curious what type of impact he'll have in year 1.

I agree about the depth issue. Seems like our two most recent coaches usually were about one or two players short on the roster. Against Illinois, we had only three points off the bench and that came by way of a three pointer from a surprise Ihnen appearance in the last minute of the game.

We really could use a backup center/forward with size who could hit free throws at an acceptable rate and some outside shots. Trouble is, those types of players aren't easy to find either because they've transferred previously or they don't seem likely to go somewhere where they'd play a backup role. As much as I like Fox, he has a hard time with more physical conference big men, he's very little threat to score outside of a layup or dunk, and isn't a good free throw shooter.

On the whole, I'm reasonably happy with Mitchell. He has some bad turnovers here and there but he's a good free throw and three point shooter. He's also a capable backup point guard. He just needs to clean up some things, get a little more of a Big Ten body, and I think he could be better next year.

I agree about the depth issue. Seems like our two most recent coaches usually were about one or two players short on the roster. Against Illinois, we had only three points off the bench and that came by way of a three pointer from a surprise Ihnen appearance in the last minute of the game.

We really could use a backup center/forward with size who could hit free throws at an acceptable rate and some outside shots. Trouble is, those types of players aren't easy to find either because they've transferred previously or they don't seem likely to go somewhere where they'd play a backup role. As much as I like Fox, he has a hard time with more physical conference big men, he's very little threat to score outside of a layup or dunk, and isn't a good free throw shooter.

On the whole, I'm reasonably happy with Mitchell. He has some bad turnovers here and there but he's a good free throw and three point shooter. He's also a capable backup point guard. He just needs to clean up some things, get a little more of a Big Ten body, and I think he could be better next year.
The

The upgrade for Mitchell next year is already on the roster. It's Mitchell. He's only had one year at this level and one year playing with the Prophet. He will be much better next year, as will Hawk.

Cam will be stronger and develop a fully rounded offensive game. He'll be much better. Carrington now understands his role and I would expect him to be better next year too. Add Asuma and we are set at guard.

First transfer target has to be a big man with two or three years left. That is the type of guy who will be willing to come in as a backup next year.

The

The upgrade for Mitchell next year is already on the roster. It's Mitchell. He's only had one year at this level and one year playing with the Prophet. He will be much better next year, as will Hawk.

Cam will be stronger and develop a fully rounded offensive game. He'll be much better. Carrington now understands his role and I would expect him to be better next year too. Add Asuma and we are set at guard.

First transfer target has to be a big man with two or three years left. That is the type of guy who will be willing to come in as a backup next year.
+1 on guard situation. If current guards stay +Asuma we are fine at the 1-2 spot. I don't mind the 3 guard sets but would love for a guy like Betts to shine a bit at the 3 next season as a shooter. I see us thin at the 4-5 next year. Garcia and Payne are solid and I like Fox as an energy guy. I like JOJ but don't seem him being a contrubuter on the team I hope the Gophers field next fall. Ihnen? Mystery. I've seen enough to seriously doubt he can contribute much of anything for us next fall. Keinys? Another shooter at the 3? maybe. Agree that #1 priority is some help at the 4/5. Not a Jack Wilson with one year. Need at least 2 preferably 3 years left.

+1 on guard situation. If current guards stay +Asuma we are fine at the 1-2 spot. I don't mind the 3 guard sets but would love for a guy like Betts to shine a bit at the 3 next season as a shooter. I see us thin at the 4-5 next year. Garcia and Payne are solid and I like Fox as an energy guy. I like JOJ but don't seem him being a contrubuter on the team I hope the Gophers field next fall. Ihnen? Mystery. I've seen enough to seriously doubt he can contribute much of anything for us next fall. Keinys? Another shooter at the 3? maybe. Agree that #1 priority is some help at the 4/5. Not a Jack Wilson with one year. Need at least 2 preferably 3 years left.
I could buy the first priority as a back up big. Fox is likely not enough and could use someone there. Definitely a chance we lose Garcia or Fox as well to moving on. That would make that a massive priority obviously.

I'm likely not giving the guards enough credit. BUT, I am skeptical on Mitchell's mental development and Asuma as a year 1 impact.

Either way, I'm a Grad Transfer guy. Give me 2 of 'em. A big and a guard/wing.

I could be wrong because the sample size is so small, but Betts really does not strike me as a 3 at all.

I don't disagree about, ideally, needing a bit more of size in the backcourt, it's why losing Henley kind of stung.

I could be wrong because the sample size is so small, but Betts really does not strike me as a 3 at all.

I don't disagree about, ideally, needing a bit more of size in the backcourt, it's why losing Henley kind of stung.

Agree, Betts is not a 3. There are no 3's on this roster other than Christie, who can also play the 2.

A bigger 3 is their biggest need in the offseason.

Pre-season and early in the season very few people were talking about running basically three guards. I didn't know the exact order but I was pretty sure Hawkins was the PG, then some combo of Mitchell, Christie, Carrington at the 2-3. There was much talk about Ihnen and a little regarding Betts at the 3. I never saw Ihnen as a 3. There was also much talk about JOJ as a 3. I never saw that. I always saw him as a small, energy 4. Regardless of what Ben does next fall with the 1-3, we still will need some help at the 4/5, After Garcia and Payne all we have is a limited minutes Fox at 6'8".

Agree, Betts is not a 3. There are no 3's on this roster other than Christie, who can also play the 2.

A bigger 3 is their biggest need in the offseason.
Betts as a 4? I don't see that. Where is the kid going to play?

The reason another big man is highest priority is rebounding. We shot 60% from the floor against Illinois but lost because they got nine more rebounds, most of the difference being offensive boards. That gave them both more shots and nine more free throws than us. They made eight more than us, the margin of victory.

We need another strong rebounder and post defensive guy next season.

Article by Andy Greder/St.Paul Pioneer Press (03/01)

Men’s basketball: Gophers AD Mark Coyle sees “Top 25 team” next year​

Everyone in the rotation has eligibility remaining for the 2024-25 season​

It looks like the Gophers men’s basketball team will not make the NCAA tournament for a fifth straight season — barring a road win over Northwestern next weekend and run in the Big Ten tournament. But there’s always next year.

And that is where Gophers Athletics Director Mark Coyle has one eye as well. But first he addressed this year’s squad on the Golden Gopher Podcast this week.

“We’ve seen progress,” Coyle said. “… We are much better. We are much more competitive in games. I really appreciate and respect when you spend time with a team, they actually like each other and they get along. It’s a good vibe. I give (head coach Ben Johnson) a lot of credit, he’s kept that team close together.”

Johnson has made huge strides in Year 3, taking the Gophers from 2-17 in Big Ten play last season to 8-9 going into Saturday’s game against Penn State at Williams Arena.

Johnson also has briefly talked about next season. Everyone in the rotation has eligibility remaining for the 2024-25 season and Johnson has expressed belief that all key players come back to build on what they’ve started.

“I think, if everybody comes back, we will be a Top 25 team preseason next year,” Coyle said. “I have no issue saying that.”

For the Gophers to be in the best position to make March Madness next year, they must continue to navigate the NCAA transfer portal and address the poor nonconference schedule they had this season. KenPom has the Gophers’ adjusted nonconference schedule at 362 out of 362 in the nation.

“I think next year you will see that schedule more competitive,” Coyle forecast. “At the same time, people are not going to want to play us.”

The weak nonconference schedule was about establishing a cohesive unit and helping Hawkins play a slightly different style than at Howard. So I get that, as annoying as it was watching some of those games on Big Ten + .
But next years schedule should be ALOT more challenging because I would imagine most, if not all, of the roster should back, on top of incoming FR and possible transfers. I know the AD doesn't want to put the whole NCAA tournament or bust on this team, but the fans would quickly lose patience if we missed it next year. To me, there should be no excuse to miss it.

??? This team has been full of 4s under the BJ era. Not having a legitimate B1G 3 has been a big issue. Betts is definitely not quick or athletic enough to play the 3.
How do we know how quick Betts is? How do we know how athletic Betts is? How do we know how good Betts is at handling the ball? How many on this board go and watch the team practice? How do the GH'ers really know what the team has in Betts or the Euro for that matter?

Curious. Where do you see Betts playing for us?
??? This team has been full of 4s under the BJ era. Not having a legitimate B1G 3 has been a big issue. Betts is definitely not quick or athletic enough to play the 3.
3? You say he isn't quick enough/ Definitely not the Pg or 2. That leaves the 4. He ain't no 5. I do not see him as a 4. Fox gets away with some time at the 4 because #1-his minutes are limited. #2-he is energy, blocks shots and is physically (weight/strength) big enough. Betts and Fox are the same height but Betts would be a total liability against othe BIG 4's.

The weak nonconference schedule was about establishing a cohesive unit and helping Hawkins play a slightly different style than at Howard. So I get that, as annoying as it was watching some of those games on Big Ten + .
But next years schedule should be ALOT more challenging because I would imagine most, if not all, of the roster should back, on top of incoming FR and possible transfers. I know the AD doesn't want to put the whole NCAA tournament or bust on this team, but the fans would quickly lose patience if we missed it next year. To me, there should be no excuse to miss it.
Weak? Kenpom has us 362 ranked non conf SOS out of ?????? U guessed it. 362. 362 out of 362. That is not weak. That is pathetic and unacceptable. No P6 team (80 teams), EVER should have a non conf SOS that is lower then about 150-200.

Weak? Kenpom has us 362 ranked non conf SOS out of ?????? U guessed it. 362. 362 out of 362. That is not weak. That is pathetic and unacceptable. No P6 team (80 teams), EVER should have a non conf SOS that is lower then about 150-200.
It is acceptable and has been accepted, as evidenced by the fact the games were played. The strategy was not only acceptable but wise.

It is acceptable and has been accepted, as evidenced by the fact the games were played. The strategy was not only acceptable but wise.

I understand the reasons for the nonconference schedule, enjoyed watching all of those games, and I'm not angry about it. Still, one could go "weak" without going bottom-of-the-barrel. It's true that the schedulers couldn't be certain of how strong or weak some of these teams would be.

One can appreciate the "developmental" nature of the nonconference schedule while admitting the that the nonconference schedule has limited our NET ranking. Absent a terrific season finish through the BT tournament, that ranking will eliminate us from consideration for the NCAA tournament and sharply reduce our chances of getting a top half seed in the NIT.

Yes, all of us who have been paying attention know that by now. You know, I don't think you're an unintelligent guy but you seem to want to emulate the speaking and writing style of a loud-mouthed sports talk radio jock. That might be appreciated by dummies but it makes you less credible to intelligent people.

I understand the reasons for the nonconference schedule, enjoyed watching all of those games, and I'm not angry about it. Still, one could go "weak" without going bottom-of-the-barrel. It's true that the schedulers couldn't be certain of how strong or weak some of these teams would be.

One can appreciate the "developmental" nature of the nonconference schedule while admitting the that the nonconference schedule has limited our NET ranking. Absent a terrific season finish through the BT tournament, that ranking will eliminate us from consideration for the NCAA tournament and sharply reduce our chances of getting a top half seed in the NIT.
“It’s true the schedulers could not be certain ….. “. Enough said.

When the schedule was made nobody on the planet was asking how it might impact Minnesota’s NCAA Tournament chances. Few things were more unlikely.

Ben’s job was to prepare a team with eight new players to compete in the Big Ten. Job well done.

How do we know how quick Betts is? How do we know how athletic Betts is? How do we know how good Betts is at handling the ball? How many on this board go and watch the team practice? How do the GH'ers really know what the team has in Betts or the Euro for that matter?

He played in 8 games this season. It was very obvious. JOJ is more of a 3 than Betts and JOJ isn’t playing there anymore.

Top Bottom