Brosmer will practice with Gophers in Detroit

In fact the term doesn't end until tomorrow.

But more importantly, the next semester and thus the official start of him being a student at the U doesn't start until Jan 16.

And he is not a student at the U, yet.

New Hampshire semester ended yesterday. He is no longer a New Hampshire student.

He is starting Gopher practice on Friday. Gopher semester is over then, too.

Either way, it isn't a "mid-semester" transfer.

And, yes, this rule has been in place for years. In fact, college hockey has used it often. Kid transfers after first semester and starts practicing with the new team well before the new semester starts.

It might be a good idea for you to sometimes acknowledge you don't know everything. It is okay to admit you were barking up a wrong tree and move on. You don't have to dig in on everything and clog the board with idiocy.

He's not a U student until Jan 16. Pointless semantics, w.r.t. the point I'm conveying.

Dude, he has signed a letter of intent to be a U student. That qualifies him to start practicing once his previous school semester is over. He can use the weight room, too. Much like the early enrollee freshmen and other transfers might do if they arrive on campus in early January prior to classes starting.

Just give it up. Stop. Don't post so much. Quit clogging the board.

Dude, he has signed a letter of intent to be a U student.
You don't actually know this.

I don't think transfers actually sign anything. The document you're thinking of, called the NLI, is for high school students as far as I know.

That qualifies him to start practicing once his previous school semester is over.
Not true. An NCAA rule exception does, however.

I don't think transfers actually sign anything. The document you're thinking of, called the NLI, is for high school students as far as I know.

Transfers sign a financial aid agreement, which is what the QB did. That's why the head coach could openly and publicly speak about the kid.

In basketball a player can practice with the team 2nd semester without using a year of eligibility. The student is enrolled in school and practices without playing.

Dude, he has signed a letter of intent to be a U student. That qualifies him to start practicing once his previous school semester is over. He can use the weight room, too. Much like the early enrollee freshmen and other transfers might do if they arrive on campus in early January prior to classes starting.

There's an old saw about never wrestling with a pig. You both get muddy and the pig likes it.

Possibly applies in this case.

He does not qualify for FAFSA. He has a full scholarship from the athletic dept.

You realize a full athletic scholarship IS financial aid, right? Transfers sign the athletic aid agreement after they commit to make sure the school is on the hook to provide the full ride and won't back out.
I have exhausted my energy on this topic, so that'll be it from me.

Not true. An NCAA rule exception does, however.
If you are so certain the Gophers are violating NCAA rules, just call and ask the them. I’m sure many here would like to know what they say.

He does not qualify for FAFSA. He has a full scholarship from the athletic dept.

I doubt this is true, please cite this.

These feel made up.
Oh my God this has to be a bit...no one is this stupid.

Mods, cam you at least temp ban MPLS until he settles down. He's on one of these kicks where he argues with everyone over everything and wrecks the board.

Oh my God this has to be a bit...no one is this stupid.
He has definitely gone off the rails on this one and for whatever reason seems convinced something is going on even when it is obvious to rational people that the U is playing by the rules here and doing what they are allowed to do in regards to Brosmer.

Love how someone who claims to have me on ignore, and can’t see my posts, still complains that I’m “wrecking the board” for them. :ROFLMAO:

Can’t make it up.

Internet message board posters sure are a hateful, tribal groupthink bunch of folks. Not all, but certainly some.

If MPLSGopher thinks Brosmer practicing before the bowl game is illegal and a bad idea...

There's a 100% chance him practicing is totally legal and an excellent idea.
1703171526868.jpeg

Transfers sign the athletic aid agreement after they commit to make sure the school is on the hook to provide the full ride and won't back out.
That sounds nice. I would like to believe such a thing exists as you claim.

Sadly, I think you made it up out of thin air.

I don’t think transfers sign a single thing. They apply to the school, are accepted, and enroll based upon nothing more than a gentleman’s agreement that they’ll be placed on scholarship when they arrive.

Interesting that no one here stopped to wonder why Brosmer is the only one of the transfers who is coming in extra-early for bowl practices.

It’s because they literally need Brosmer to run the scout team. They only have two QB left on the roster and those have to take first and second team offensive reps.

That’s it. Nothing actually more grand than that.

Last season in women's basketball, highly-regarded center Sophie Hart at NCS entered the transfer portal during the first semester. She then practiced with the Gophers 2nd semester but did not play. At games she was there on the court in her Gophers track outfit, with the team, but did not play. She was enrolled for classes. Yes you can practice with the team.

Interesting that no one here stopped to wonder why Brosmer is the only one of the transfers who is coming in extra-early for bowl practices.

It’s because they literally need Brosmer to run the scout team. They only have two QB left on the roster and those have to take first and second team offensive reps.

That’s it. Nothing actually more grand than that.
Holy crap man.....the ONLY person in this thread who has tried to make this something grand or under the table or illegal or not wise due to injury risk is you. The reason nobody else is stopping to wonder is because most were able to process this as no big deal from the beginning.

Your scout team QB doesn't have to be a good QB or even a QB at all really. Just has to be someone capable of taking a snap and throwing a ball where the coach tells him to in order to simulate what the opponent is going to do. Brosmer might run the scout team but they also might choose to stick with whoever has been running it up to this point since they would know the Bowling Green offense and what the coaches are looking for better.

The reason nobody else is stopping to wonder is because most were able to process this as no big deal from the beginning.
Sure. So???

Why does it bother you so much if I post something stupid?? Something that makes no sense? Scroll past it. Don’t reply. Don’t get so worked up that you feel the need to talk down to and shame other people. I ensure you, no one on GH (least of all, me) is in any such position.

they also might choose to stick with whoever has been running it up to this point
Brosmer has been there the whole time, from the beginning. Why would you assume he’s joining late?

Last edited:

Brosmer has been there the whole time, from the beginning. Why would you assume he’s joining late?
Pretty sure he is just going to be at the practices at the bowl site according to note.

You get 15 practices and probably 10-11 of them happen at the football complex with the last few taking place at the bowl location. They would have been running scout team during most of those practices meaning somebody else (player, staff member) has been running the scout offense since they would almost certainly want both active QBs to work exclusively with the main offense.

Pretty sure he is just going to be at the practices at the bowl site according to note.

You get 15 practices and probably 10-11 of them happen at the football complex with the last few taking place at the bowl location. They would have been running scout team during most of those practices meaning somebody else (player, staff member) has been running the scout offense since they would almost certainly want both active QBs to work exclusively with the main offense.
Plausible.

My understanding at least for major programs like Big Ten is you spend a week before the game out at the bowl site and get the practices in during that time. Not every session has to be pads in thumping. Can have walk-throughs, even the same day as a padded practice.

Guys gotta get through finals, too.

Regardless, if true freshman walk-on is going to be the back-up with a legit chance to go into the game, he needs reps with our offense. Not scout team. As soon as Brosmer is there, he’s taking over scout team. The OP says that. That’s what I assume.

Regardless, if true freshman walk-on is going to be the back-up with a legit chance to go into the game, he needs reps with our offense. Not scout team. As soon as Brosmer is there, he’s taking over scout team. The OP says that. That’s what I assume.
Would be shocked if Shikenjanski has spent a moment of bowl practice running the scout team offense. He would 100% be working with the main offense in order to have him as ready as possible to go in if something happens to Kramer.

Again - you don't have to have a true QB run the scout team. It is nice to be able to, but if you don't have one available you can use a position player or have a member of the coaching staff (grad assistant, QC coach) step in and do it. You just need someone capable of somewhat mimicking what BG is going to do on offense.

Fleck could have just been joking around by saying Brosmer would be a heck of a scout team QB since Brosmer would have spent zero time studying Bowling Green film and wouldn't know their offense at all.

I have no clue what they will do but my assumption is that Brosmer will probably come in for those practices, take part in individual work with the QBs and then spend most of the team periods standing next to Harbaugh starting to learn our offense. Assume he will also get the chance to attend meetings and watch film.

Maybe they bring him over to the scout team to make some specific more complicated throws that might be tough for whoever was running the scout team to make.

Mostly this is just a great chance for Brosmer to be around his new teammates and coaches for a few days.

That sounds nice. I would like to believe such a thing exists as you claim.

Sadly, I think you made it up out of thin air.

I don’t think transfers sign a single thing. They apply to the school, are accepted, and enroll based upon nothing more than a gentleman’s agreement that they’ll be placed on scholarship when they arrive.

I promised I was done. But, you think I made up out of thin air the idea that transfers sign a thing called an athletic aid agreement? Ok, believe what you want. Be my guest.

Why would you assume he’s joining late?

Uh, because PJ Fleck literally said on Monday that Brosmer is joining the team on Friday in Detroit, along with some other transfers. The team flies to Detroit on Friday and Brosmer will be joining them. Outside of that, you're right on. LOL

Would be shocked if Shikenjanski has spent a moment of bowl practice running the scout team offense. He would 100% be working with the main offense in order to have him as ready as possible to go in if something happens to Kramer.

Again - you don't have to have a true QB run the scout team. It is nice to be able to, but if you don't have one available you can use a position player or have a member of the coaching staff (grad assistant, QC coach) step in and do it. You just need someone capable of somewhat mimicking what BG is going to do on offense.

Fleck could have just been joking around by saying Brosmer would be a heck of a scout team QB since Brosmer would have spent zero time studying Bowling Green film and wouldn't know their offense at all.

I have no clue what they will do but my assumption is that Brosmer will probably come in for those practices, take part in individual work with the QBs and then spend most of the team periods standing next to Harbaugh starting to learn our offense. Assume he will also get the chance to attend meetings and watch film.

Maybe they bring him over to the scout team to make some specific more complicated throws that might be tough for whoever was running the scout team to make.

Mostly this is just a great chance for Brosmer to be around his new teammates and coaches for a few days.
The coach that runs the Scout team offense generally has cards with the opposing plays and in the huddle they go over them before each play it’s really pretty easy I’m sure Brosmer would be fine. That said, one of the things I think this board suffers from is taking things too literally so when PJ talks about him running the scout team, that’s just off the cuff probably a little bit.

Top Bottom