Brosmer will practice with Gophers in Detroit

Is he even enrolled in school yet? How can he be allowed to join the team, even just for practice?

Just because rules didn’t think someone would actually do a thing, and thus don’t explicitly prohibit it, does not mean the thing is within the spirit of the rules.

Is he even enrolled in school yet? How can he be allowed to join the team, even just for practice?

Just because rules didn’t think someone would actually do a thing, and thus don’t explicitly prohibit it, does not mean the thing is within the spirit of the rules.

I’m pretty sure anyone is allowed to practice with the gophers? Like I could go there and throw passes if they wanted me to, right?

He is likely enrolled but hasn’t started classes obviously.

😂

You had no problem claiming navy would go to a bowl game in similar rules interpretation situations

Spirit of the rules? Have you not seen how the conference champs operate?

Going to go way out on a limb here with this one......if Fleck is openly talking about it on the radio show then they aren't breaking rules and clearly it is not a problem for Brosmer to practice with the team even though he can't play.

Not sure what "spirit of the rules" issue would be in play with this. If I had to guess he is probably providing his own transportation to the bowl site and isn't a member of the travel party or roster so wouldn't get bowl swag or things like that. Just showing up for practices to get a jump on next year.

And again.....if it were against the rules, there is no way Fleck would be talking about it with the media.

Going to go way out on a limb here with this one......if Fleck is openly talking about it on the radio show then they aren't breaking rules and clearly it is not a problem for Brosmer to practice with the team even though he can't play.

Not sure what "spirit of the rules" issue would be in play with this. If I had to guess he is probably providing his own transportation to the bowl site and isn't a member of the travel party or roster so wouldn't get bowl swag or things like that. Just showing up for practices to get a jump on next year.

And again.....if it were against the rules, there is no way Fleck would be talking about it with the media.
This is an old reference but a while back PJ complemented the compliance department who he said they always check with about the rules.

Yeah I can't imagine there would be any issue here.

This is fairly normal that early enrollees join bowl practices if they are finished with their school. They can't play but are able to join in the activities. Examples below (and the bylaw):

1702995739926.png

Given Detroit’s proximity to Ann Arbor, it facilitates Big Blue’s filming of his practices: delivery, throwing mechanics, tendencies, etc..

All in the spirit of the rules, of course.

This is fairly normal that early enrollees join bowl practices if they are finished with their school. They can't play but are able to join in the activities. Examples below (and the bylaw):

View attachment 29058
Hold up....so you're saying there is not grand conspiracy here? :)

It’s really not at all difficult to see why it would seem strange: it’s a mid-semester transfer with some participation allowed. That’s not how the rules work.

But clearly the NCAA thinks this context is good enough for a special exemption.

It’s really not at all difficult to see why it would seem strange: it’s a mid-semester transfer with some participation allowed. That’s not how the rules work.

But clearly the NCAA thinks this context is good enough for a special exemption.
Except clearly it is how the rules work. It isn't a special exemption, the NCAA changed the rules to allow players who meet the specified criteria to practice with their new teams.

It isn't a special exemption,
It’s literally a sub-rule under the normal rule for a special scenario.

We both have better things to do with our time than be Bill Clinton arguing about the definition of “is”.

Since other schools are doing this I assume it is legal. My only question. Suppose he gets hurt, whose insurance covers the injury? Especially if he isn’t enrolled yet?

Top Bottom