Brosmer will practice with Gophers in Detroit

Going to go way out on a limb here with this one......if Fleck is openly talking about it on the radio show then they aren't breaking rules and clearly it is not a problem for Brosmer to practice with the team even though he can't play.

Not sure what "spirit of the rules" issue would be in play with this. If I had to guess he is probably providing his own transportation to the bowl site and isn't a member of the travel party or roster so wouldn't get bowl swag or things like that. Just showing up for practices to get a jump on next year.

And again.....if it were against the rules, there is no way Fleck would be talking about it with the media.
He talked about it on the radio, but he didn't make a peep until he was absolutely sure that they could even mention his name. Like one member of the staff said it was OK (Garrett somebody) and he didn't move the conversation forward until another staffer confirmed as well. Said something like, "Believe it or not, we have rules and we follow them."

He talked about it on the radio, but he didn't make a peep until he was absolutely sure that they could even mention his name. Like one member of the staff said it was OK (Garrett somebody) and he didn't move the conversation forward until another staffer confirmed as well. Said something like, "Believe it or not, we have rules and we follow them."
Right, if anyone on this thread actually listened to the radio interview, he checked with Paul Rovnak who gave him the OK, then he stopped and needed a second person (probably Garrett Chernoff) to clear it before he even spoke his name.

if it's within the rules, go ahead.

But - here's my reaction --

let's say you're Fleck or Harbaugh. you're watching practice and Brosmer is lighting it up - looks WAY better than the other Gopher QB's. but you can't use him in the game.

on the one hand, it would get you excited about next year. but at the same time, it would be really frustrating to watch the game knowing that a much better QB is literally right there - but he can't play in the bowl.

same thing from the players' perspective. "d*mn. sure wish we could use this guy in the game...."

let's say you're Fleck or Harbaugh. you're watching practice and Brosmer is lighting it up - looks WAY better than the other Gopher QB's. but you can't use him in the game.

on the one hand, it would get you excited about next year. but at the same time, it would be really frustrating to watch the game knowing that a much better QB is literally right there - but he can't play in the bowl.

same thing from the players' perspective. "d*mn. sure wish we could use this guy in the game...."
Does that ... matter?

Worse, what if Brosmer gets hurt and won’t be able to do spring ball, summer training, or fall camp?

Just seems silly to me, that this got a special little carve out allowance.

Just wait til spring …

The practices are important otherwise the Gophers would decline bowl game didn’t deserve to be in with a losing record. If an unlikely long term injury happened can always ask DTA to give Cole whatever he wants to put off life for another year until the heir apparent from Ark is ready to go.

Worse, what if Brosmer gets hurt and won’t be able to do spring ball, summer training, or fall camp?

Just wait til spring …
By this logic we shouldn't let him play until kickoff week 1? What if he gets hurt in the spring game? What if he gets hurt in fall camp?

Just wait til spring …
The only way a QB gets hurt in practice is a non-contact injury. It can happen during during informal workouts, too.

Does that ... matter?
Peter Graves went to the U. Right?
images

The only way a QB gets hurt in practice is a non-contact injury. It can happen during during informal workouts, too.
Hand breaks on a helmet. Elbow or should tears.

You have no idea.

Big difference is that it was absolutely unnecessary, and of questionable additional value, beyond spring ball.

Spring ball is the opposite, critically necessary and can’t be avoided.

The practices are important otherwise the Gophers would decline bowl game
Have heard this used car sales pitch from Fleck many a time.

If these extra practices were that important then how can it be that teams always making a bowl game the prior X years get worse?

Bet if you run a statistical analysis on low end bowl teams vs teams that just missed a bowl, each year looking at the following year, it’s a 50/50 random toss-up which ones improve more the following year.

If these extra practices were that important then how can it be that teams always making a bowl game the prior X years get worse?

Bet if you run a statistical analysis on low end bowl teams vs teams that just missed a bowl, each year looking at the following year, it’s a 50/50 random toss-up which ones improve more the following year.
You're just being argumentative to be argumentative. But, what else is new. Don't you tire of it?

Good lord man you are in rare form today.

Coaches have limited times they can work with the players so having an extra 15 practices is better than not having them. Plus you get a chance to really focus on the younger players in those sessions and try to get a jump on the following season. Nobody would be crazy enough to imply those 15 practices are going to make or break the following season but they are still a good thing.

And as to your bit about Brosmer potentially getting hurt in bowl practices.....come on man....really? He gets a chance to spend some time with his new teammates and coaches, while running the scout offense so that the only 2 QBs we have right now can focus on getting ready for the bowl game working with the main offense.

You are really reaching in trying to find issues with either of these things.

It’s really not at all difficult to see why it would seem strange: it’s a mid-semester transfer with some participation allowed. That’s not how the rules work.

But clearly the NCAA thinks this context is good enough for a special exemption.

Mid-semester? What are you talking about?

The semester is over.

That is exactly why it is allowed.

He is no longer a student at New Hampshire.

Last edited:

You understand Fleck wasn't the first coach to say it right? He isn't even the first Gopher Coach to say it.

Do you have some sort of fetish where you post just ridiculous things so you can get dunked on? I mean good lord even trolls don't do it as often as you do.

What? I sure hope he looks way better than the other Gopher QBs. As I started reading that sentence I thought you were going to say "... what if Brosmer sucks."

Light it up, Max!

Maybe we'll have a qb named Ethan Kaliakmanis enter the game....

Top Bottom