BREAKING: ATHAN IN THE PORTAL

Oh you can’t leave us hanging! Please not Daniel Jackson! Personally I think we can roll with Evans at RB if he stays healthy but receiver we need someone. Also would like to see Jah stay too.
Impact player could be a RB. Just guessing though...no inside info.

It appears that Fleck told the current QB"s on the roster that he will be bringing in competition for next season and couldn't guarantee who the starter will be in 2024.

In my opinion, he should've done that last year.

Anywho, I wish Athan the best wherever he goes.

I've also heard that another impact player could be entering the portal soon.
Do you know which impact player or no? My gut says Darius Taylor even though I hope it isnt

My gut says Darius Taylor even though I hope it isnt

That's a very good guess I would say. Fleck mentioned how we might lose him if NIL isn't bolstered. He did enough this season to show that he could be a big impact player so interest would be pretty high even though he was injured.

That's a very good guess I would say. Fleck mentioned how we might lose him if NIL isn't bolstered. He did enough this season to show that he could be a big impact player so interest would be pretty high even though he was injured.
Blake Corum is out of eligibility at Michigan...Darius is from the Dirty D.....

I wonder if Dino Kaliakmanis follows him.

Unsurprising.

No competent coach starts 2024 with AK at QB. He wasn't up to the task.

I'm quite sure both Fleck and AK know this simple truth.
The only way to get better in my opinion is to accept the brutal truth of the situation.

PJs habit of only playing one QB, no matter what. I was baffled at the start of the 4th QTR losing 40-3, PJ marches Athan back out there. You can tell he was struggling.
I don't think Fleck helps with the confidence of the QBs sometimes. When you continue to show no confidence in the guy, then they're going to be play tight not trying to make a mistake. This is the guy you picked as your QB, let him play.

And, at the same time, when the game is out of hand, get him out of the game. Continuing to make mistakes in a blowout can't help a guy's confidence.

My sense is he thought about if the offensive philosophy would change in 2024, realized it won't and decided to go. Fleck sold everyone on the notion that the offense would change (including AK)...and it didn't. At all. Hard to imagine Fleck would essentially convince his starting QB to move on with no readily available backup to step in. He is risk adverse to his bone. Remember, he got Rhoda to stay because he felt he had no other options at QB.

We have 2 scholarship QBs if Lindsey signs.
We better grab 2 QBs in the portal, and I'm guessing they won't be top-shelf ones due to our NIL situation.
Playing time can be equally or more important. We have that. A Big Ten team with every game on television and you can show case yourself for the league. Granted we run up the middle when down 20 points on 3rd and 14.

Wish Athan finds a place where he can mature, grow in confidence and prosper.

Could’ve been Fleck. However, I think it is just as likely the QB and his family not feeling that this is not a place for a QB to grow and be successful.

My sense is he thought about if the offensive philosophy would change in 2024, realized it won't and decided to go. Fleck sold everyone on the notion that the offense would change (including AK)...and it didn't. At all. Hard to imagine Fleck would essentially convince his starting QB to move on with no readily available backup to step in. He is risk adverse to his bone. Remember, he got Rhoda to stay because he felt he had no other options at QB.

Yes, the offense changed. I posted the stats in another thread where the Gopher's passing mix was the highest in Fleck's tenure (57.7% run/42.3% pass in conference play). You just didn't notice because the passing game was often ineffective...largely due to a QB that has inconsistent accuracy and can't complete a crossing route that's so important in the play action pass game.

Yes, the offense changed. I posted the stats in another thread where the Gopher's passing mix was the highest in Fleck's tenure (57.7% run/42.3% pass in conference play). You just didn't notice because the passing game was often ineffective...largely due to a QB that has inconsistent accuracy and can't complete a crossing route that's so important in the play action pass game.
they also tried to air it out early in the season and sucked ass at it

I think there's little doubt that Fleck initiated this.

Whether it was a hard-as-possible "please leave we're moving on" or a soft "we're bringing in a transfer for a competition" is unknown. If it was the latter Minnesota was still probably his best option.

AK likely doesn't have any good P5 options. He might get to compete for a G5 starting role or a FCS school would likely start him in 2024. He does have a live arm and some big time throws on tape. They were just too inconsistent to work out. He's not mobile enough to get away with not being an elite passer.

This probably helps recruit a transfer QB as they won't have to worry about competing with Fleck's hand-picked incumbent.
I don't think an FCS school necessarily starts AK. At least not immediately and not at competitive school. The good FCS schools have good QB play. If he wants to play right away it will be for a dog FCS school like Western Illinois or DII.

Top Bottom