BREAKING: ATHAN IN THE PORTAL

He doesn't mention Fleck by name in his post. He signed it "God Bless, Ski U Mah, and Go Gophers"...no RTB is mentioned.

I think you're right...Fleck probably did this.
I have been assured, many times, that PJ doesn't do things like that.

PJ has stated that his job is to recruit replacements for his current players, the players job is to keep their jobs. AK was not going to keep his job, so he moves on. I wish him the best.
easy math

If Knuth or Clark had more patience they would maybe be looking at a starting role here.
Just checked Clark’s stats, it was looking like he was on pace for a hell of a season but suffered a season ending injury in game four.

If Knuth or Clark had more patience they would maybe be looking at a starting role here.
It's a roll of the dice either way, you just never know.

I can't blame anyone for picking a spot they think they're more likely to start.

I think if he transfers down his slow decision making will be able to grow more. Could be really good in a few years. Wasn’t ready for this type of speed I think.

A G5 program with a good developmental QB coach would be ideal, though that might be like finding a unicorn.

Listening to Flecks postgame interview Saturday, I got the feeling he was very displeased with the QB. I think he was done with him as a starter.
I kind of thought the same thing. It was the first time I really ever heard him directly criticize a specific player. He didn't mention Athan by name but by Quarterback and Athan was the only one that played.

Just checked Clark’s stats, it was looking like he was on pace for a hell of a season but suffered a season ending injury in game four.
I watched Clark’s highlights about a month ago. He was surprisingly athletic and was kind of a gamer before his shoulder got hurt.

PJ has always said the bowl game is the first game of the next season (vs last game of this season). I gotta give him some credit here for having his actions mesh with his words. The "safe" thing to do would be to keep AK through the bowl game with the thought he is the best QB to help us win the game. Instead, he took action to get our QB room in better shape for next year.

The Gophers have little depth at QB so I highly doubt Fleck directly pushed him out. Probably was honest with him in that they would be looking to bring in a transfer and that he wasn't happy with his performance this season.

It's a roll of the dice either way, you just never know.

I can't blame anyone for picking a spot they think they're more likely to start.
Not at all. You have a very limited window in which to play this game. Go where you can play.

The Gophers have little depth at QB so I highly doubt Fleck directly pushed him out. Probably was honest with him in that they would be looking to bring in a transfer and that he wasn't happy with his performance this season.

Yup.

I think there's little doubt that Fleck initiated this.

Whether it was a hard-as-possible "please leave we're moving on" or a soft "we're bringing in a transfer for a competition" is unknown. If it was the latter Minnesota was still probably his best option.

AK likely doesn't have any good P5 options. He might get to compete for a G5 starting role or a FCS school would likely start him in 2024. He does have a live arm and some big time throws on tape. They were just too inconsistent to work out. He's not mobile enough to get away with not being an elite passer.

This probably helps recruit a transfer QB as they won't have to worry about competing with Fleck's hand-picked incumbent.

Kramer will start in the Bowl game and shortly afterwards he's also entering the portal. Looks like PJ is doing a complete overhaul at the QB position.

Listening to Flecks postgame interview Saturday, I got the feeling he was very displeased with the QB. I think he was done with him as a starter.

I heard the same thing you did. That is exactly what I thought as I remember saying out loud, he has never been that critical of quarterback play in a press conference that I have seen.

The kid didn’t have a qb coach and no adequate OC.. don’t blame him one second.
I wouldn't be too surprised to see him surface at Rutgers. The Kirk Ciarocca connection and the Rutgers QB1 was rated well below even Athan this year. Maybe KC can get him back on track.

Competing for the QB1 job at Rutgers is likely his best realistic option.

I get it, and I’m sure it was Coach initiated, but I have to say, this transfer thing is really…..I don’t know what it is…..I’m old.

as Homer Simpson once said “If at first you don’t succeed, don’t try”
Or, as opposed to what Curly from The Three Stooges once said, "If at first you don't succeed, keep on sucking till you do succeed."

I wouldn't be too surprised to see him surface at Rutgers. The Kirk Ciarocca connection and the Rutgers QB1 was rated well below even Athan this year. Maybe KC can get him back on track.

There's that.

I have no idea how to feel about this. Athan is possibly the weirdest, most inconsistent QB I have seen play football at a college level in recent memory and I can't tell whether this is good or bad for the program. I've been pulling for him all season, but I have no clue how to feel now that it's over.

I think he’s headed straight for the Missouri valley

Top Bottom