BREAKING: ATHAN IN THE PORTAL

Wow, I'm kinda shocked.

Maybe it was a hard question, maybe Athan didn't like that they were bringing in some competition. However I wonder how much of this was also that he committed to the U when KC was OC/QB coach, and just really doesn't vibe with the current OC/QB coach.

Addition by subtraction or a definitive step backwards?

Go look at the quarterback thread. See my post from a couple days ago. It looks like a tough conversation over breakfast was had. I guarantee you this decision was not started by AK.
I don't see why it couldn't be.

I think AK knows how he did ... maybe he wants a shot to play at a different level?

Go look at the quarterback thread. See my post from a couple days ago. It looks like a tough conversation over breakfast was had. I guarantee you this decision was not started by AK.
He doesn't mention Fleck by name in his post. He signed it "God Bless, Ski U Mah, and Go Gophers"...no RTB is mentioned.

I think you're right...Fleck probably did this.

If you had told me a year ago today that this is how it would all play out, I’d have been shocked.

Was the brother on scholarship?? Does this actually free up two scholarships??

If you had told me a year ago that AK was in the portal, I wouldn't been surprised but for a different reason. I would have thought he got bought out after a great season.

I have a hard time seeing him landing in a better spot than he had here. Not a great decision-maker, nor very accurate with his passes, and pretty mediocre with his ability to run and extend plays...

... this also makes the Gophers a really attractive spot for an incoming transfer, so IMO, this is a huge upside for the Gophers. The Portal comes to our rescue.

As a fan you always want recruits to do well, so I do feel bad for the kid. I don't know the circumstances regarding the final decision but I wish him well wherever he ends up.

And I just want to add...This is the life of a college football quarterback now. As I said before, I do feel bad for the guy, but the kids coming in at this position are going to have to grow into men real fast. Men that can deal with adversity.

Last edited:

I get it, and I’m sure it was Coach initiated, but I have to say, this transfer thing is really…..I don’t know what it is…..I’m old.

as Homer Simpson once said “If at first you don’t succeed, don’t try”

I don’t think it makes any sense for Fleck to do this.
Maybe it doesn't, but maybe we don't know what recruiting and behind-the-scenes communications have been had with QBs now entering the portal.

Best of luck young man, I surely din’t see it playing out this way for AK. These kids read and follow social media, I’m sure he saw pitchfork nation was out in force

I have a hard time seeing him landing in a better spot than he had here. Not a great decision-maker, nor very accurate with his passes, and pretty mediocre with his ability to run and extend plays...
I think he’d be a decent QB at an FCS school.

PJ guessed he could play at this level and he was wrong.

Next
... this also makes the Gophers a really attractive spot for an incoming transfer, so IMO, this is a huge upside for the Gophers. The Portal comes to our rescue.

Top Bottom