Brandon Johnson Commits

per Marcus:

“I knew guys who went to Illinois, so I pretty much idolized the Big Ten,” Johnson said in a phone interview. “Now that I have a chance to showcase my talent to the best of my ability and play in the Big Ten, I’m just excited.”

The transfer portal grew to more than 600 players this week, giving rebuilding teams like the Gophers options. Pitino needed someone versatile offensively with the physical toughness to play in the grind-it-out style of the Big Ten. Johnson believes he definitely fits that mold.

“Making this decision was tough, because every team on my list was I felt like a great fit for me,” Johnson said. “It just felt like Minnesota was the best fit out of everybody.

“[Pitino] told me, he basically doesn’t want my game to change. Everything that I did last year, he wants to build on that.”

Johnson, who also considered Dayton and Connecticut, saw his production skyrocket at the end of the season. In his last 11 games at Western Michigan, he averaged 17 points, 8.1 rebounds, 1.2 blocks and shot 79% from the foul line (50-for-63) and 60% from three-point range (9-for-15). He had four 20-point games and three double-doubles during that stretch, including a career-high 29 points vs. Ball State.

“I feel like I’m a good two-way player,” Johnson said. “Regardless if I’m scoring or if my shot is falling one night, I can still impact the game enough in order for my team to get a win.”

Go Gophers!!

Very excited about this move. Johnson gives them a cushion at PF in case Ihnen doesn't take that big step a lot of people are hoping for.

I don't see either of them playing SF. People need to realize it's a lot easier to play downsized lineups than force big guys to play guard roles. With all the cross-matchups and switching, asking Ihnen or Johnson to defend full-time perimeter players would not play to their strengths.

It's not about what either can do on the offensive end - though I didn't see any sort of SF skillset from Ihnen last year - but you want Ihnen playing the 4 because that means there are three more guards on the floor potentially boosting the spacing. If he's the 3, your 4 and 5 are likely not great perimeter shooters. Teams can guard Ihnen with small guys because he's not a threat to go into the post, he's shown no ability to break defenders down and he's not a playmaker. He's a passable catch-and-shoot guy who can get to the glass. If he's got responsibility to get back on defense because he's matched up on a 1, 2 or 3, you are taking away every positive he can bring to the floor.

Would love if Robbins can get a waiver. If he does, you can start Johnson and Robbins, and Ihnen can get 18-22 minutes off the bench as a regular to boost the depth.

Very excited about this move. Johnson gives them a cushion at PF in case Ihnen doesn't take that big step a lot of people are hoping for.

I don't see either of them playing SF. People need to realize it's a lot easier to play downsized lineups than force big guys to play guard roles. With all the cross-matchups and switching, asking Ihnen or Johnson to defend full-time perimeter players would not play to their strengths.

It's not about what either can do on the offensive end - though I didn't see any sort of SF skillset from Ihnen last year - but you want Ihnen playing the 4 because that means there are three more guards on the floor potentially boosting the spacing. If he's the 3, your 4 and 5 are likely not great perimeter shooters. Teams can guard Ihnen with small guys because he's not a threat to go into the post, he's shown no ability to break defenders down and he's not a playmaker. He's a passable catch-and-shoot guy who can get to the glass. If he's got responsibility to get back on defense because he's matched up on a 1, 2 or 3, you are taking away every positive he can bring to the floor.

Would love if Robbins can get a waiver. If he does, you can start Johnson and Robbins, and Ihnen can get 18-22 minutes off the bench as a regular to boost the depth.

I think Ihnen has more in his developing offensive tool kit than being a passable catch and shoot guy who can get to the glass. I am confident he can get to the hole off the dribble from watching his HS tape. What he needs are minutes and a green light.

I know, I could look it up but not going to at the moment...so there! Ha How is Johnson third team all Mac when he’s in the top 5-10 in several stat categories?
My scenario the other day of going 18 and 2 in conference play is shaping up rather nicely. Need a waiver and Walton plus an ability to get these guys together in August,September among other good fortune.
Nice Gopher day! FB, Bkb fun reads!

Why would that hurt spacing? Ihnen was our best 3 point shooter last season and that's pretty much all he did on offense besides crash the boards. It's not like he's suddenly going to clog the paint just because he has a smaller guy defending him. I'm sure he'd continue to roam the perimeter like he did last year and spacing would be fine.

Or are you saying because Johnson won't be playing from outside? He appears to be a decent 3 point shooter too, so might not be a problem.

EDIT:
If these are the types of shots Johnson normally takes, then I think our spacing will be just fine if he plays the 4 and Ihnen plays the 3:

Because your spacing is ideal if you have 4 players who are threats from the perimeter. The fact that Ihnen is a good shooter is precisely why we would maximize his unique skillset and play him at the 4. There are not many people who can shoot and defend the 4. Ihnen has that unique skillset.

My assumption is that if we played Ihnen at the 3, the 4 and 5 would be traditional post players. So we no longer would have optimal spacing. We would also have a lot of issues with ball handlers. We'd have a wing who cannot dribble very well.

My point is that you take a player with a unique and extremely valuable skill set and play him out of position so that it negates some of those skills and puts him in a position where he has to do things outside of his skillset (handle the ball, defend perimeter players, etc.).

I know, I could look it up but not going to at the moment...so there! Ha How is Johnson third team all Mac when he’s in the top 5-10 in several stat categories?
My scenario the other day of going 18 and 2 in conference play is shaping up rather nicely. Need a waiver and Walton plus an ability to get these guys together in August,September among other good fortune.
Nice Gopher day! FB, Bkb fun reads!

I'm blaming the MAC MSM - as everything is s conspiracy and the MSM cabal affects everything - even something innocuous as all MAC teams for basketball.

I think Ihnen has more in his developing offensive tool kit than being a passable catch and shoot guy who can get to the glass. I am confident he can get to the hole off the dribble from watching his HS tape. What he needs are minutes and a green light.

I think he can too, especially against 4's running out to the perimeter to defend the three. I don't think he can take a Big 10 SF off the dribble. I really hope I'm wrong.

Because your spacing is ideal if you have 4 players who are threats from the perimeter. The fact that Ihnen is a good shooter is precisely why we would maximize his unique skillset and play him at the 4. There are not many people who can shoot and defend the 4. Ihnen has that unique skillset.

My assumption is that if we played Ihnen at the 3, the 4 and 5 would be traditional post players. So we no longer would have optimal spacing. We would also have a lot of issues with ball handlers. We'd have a wing who cannot dribble very well.

My point is that you take a player with a unique and extremely valuable skill set and play him out of position so that it negates some of those skills and puts him in a position where he has to do things outside of his skillset (handle the ball, defend perimeter players, etc.).

Johnson shot 33% from 3 last year which isn't spectacular, but not that bad - plus may go up playing on a better team - better looks. There's your four shooters. You can always tweak your lineup a bit if there's a three that Ilhen can't effectively guard. He does seem athletic enough to me to play the 3 and I would think any pro future he has us there and not as a 4.

Last edited:

3rd team all-MAC!!??

Be still my beating heart.

Johnson shot 33% from 3 last year which isn't spectacular, but not that bad - plus may go up playing on a better team - better looks. There's your four shooters. You can always tweak your lineup a bit if there's a three that Ilhen can't effectively guard. He does seem athletic enough to me to play the 3 and I would think any pro future he has us there and not as a 4.

Yeah, I am fully expecting Richard to apply this same rationale to his lineup choice. I think it would be a mistake. I could definitely be wrong about Johnson, but assuming he shoots similarly to how he has shot so far in his career, Big 10 teams would love to let our possessions end with Johnson shooting a three. Having a non-shooter shoot a lot of threes to provide spacing is not the same as adding spacing. This also does nothing to solve our problem of not having enough ball handlers. Think of the amount you saw our wings handle the ball last year, you're comfortable with Ihnen in that roll?

Mainly, this has way more to do with wasting Ihnen's skill set than it does about his ability to guard the opposing team's SF.

Ihnen's future in the NBA is at the 4. NBA SF's are terrific and natural ball handlers. His potential NBA future would have been at the 3 in the 1990s. In today's NBA, not a chance.

Yeah, I am fully expecting Richard to apply this same rationale to his lineup choice. I think it would be a mistake. I could definitely be wrong about Johnson, but assuming he shoots similarly to how he has shot so far in his career, Big 10 teams would love to let our possessions end with Johnson shooting a three. Having a non-shooter shoot a lot of threes to provide spacing is not the same as adding spacing. This also does nothing to solve our problem of not having enough ball handlers. Think of the amount you saw our wings handle the ball last year, you're comfortable with Ihnen in that roll?

Mainly, this has way more to do with wasting Ihnen's skill set than it does about his ability to guard the opposing team's SF.

Ihnen's future in the NBA is at the 4. NBA SF's are terrific and natural ball handlers. His potential NBA future would have been at the 3 in the 1990s. In today's NBA, not a chance.

grest post - thanks.
Fir my scenario to work I'm banking on the following -

Richard to run a more set offense and get better looks/ options then have forced shots at the enif the clock.

Ilhen improves his handle and can take that step to be a competent ball handler on the perimeter (don't expect him to be the second coming of Kyree Irving with the rock). I love the length for our D and rebounding as well.

Of course we both could be wrong as much if this may be dictated by who ends with the last scholarship, but boy, us this fun to have these types of discussions where actual hope is present

That'd give us 1.0 points per possession. To put that number in perspective, last year North Florida was 10th in the nation (out of 353 teams) by getting 1.087 points per possession. We'd be 0.087 points out of a top 10 slot in that measurement. I'll take that, having a big pull defenders out of the lane will open it up for drives to the basket.

I could be wrong, but I see Ihnen as a wing. His strength is outside shooting. And I think he's athletic enough to guard someone on the perimeter. So, if you're talking numbers, he is a 3 in my book.

the only way I see him at PF is if the Gophers are going really small with the lineup.

It's not really about how tall someone is - it's about how they play. you can be 6'5" and play in in the low post, or you can be 7' and play outside the arc.

per the U:

University of Minnesota head men's basketball coach Richard Pitino announced Wednesday the addition of a pair of highly sought-after transfer student-athletes, welcoming center Liam Robbins and forward Brandon Johnson to the Gophers.

Robbins spent the previous two seasons at Drake, while Johnson spent four seasons at Western Michigan and will be eligible immediately as a graduate student.

"We are excited to announce the additions of Brandon and Liam to our basketball program," Pitino said. "We set out to add some important pieces to our front court and felt like we did that with both guys. We expect both student-athletes to make an immediate impact on and off the court."

The 7-foot, 235-pound Robbins, a native of Davenport, Iowa, spent two seasons with the Bulldogs and exploded in his sophomore campaign. He averaged team highs of 14.1 points and 7.1 rebounds along with 2.9 blocks per game, starting all 34 games for Drake and earning All-Missouri Valley Conference Second Team, All-Defensive Team and MVC Most Improved honors. He set a school record with 99 total blocks, the third most in MVC history, and finished fifth in the nation in that category.

"Liam is dominant on the low block but can also step out and stretch the defense," Pitino commented. "He is also one of the best shot blockers in the country."

Robbins, who tallied seven double-doubles on the season, was also an NABC All-District Second Team honoree. A product of Assumption High School, Robbins is the nephew of Gophers associate head coach Ed Conroy and cousin of rising senior Hunt Conroy.

Johnson has been a perennial starter for the Broncos, as the 6-8, 220-pound forward amassed 92 starts during his three years on the court. A third-team All-Mid-American Conference selection this year, Johnson led the team in rebounds (258), blocks (31) and double-doubles (6) while ranking second in scoring.

He averaged 15.4 points and 8.1 rebounds per game this year, ranking eighth in the latter category among all MAC players. He redshirted the 2018-19 season due to injury but steadily saw improvement in his stat totals during his freshman and sophomore seasons in Kalamazoo. Johnson graduated from Thea Bowman Leadership Academy in Gary, Ind., where he averaged 15 points and 6.5 rebounds during his senior prep season.

"Brandon provides a great inside out attack offensively," Pitino said. "He's tough and physical. His motor never stops running. He will be ready to compete in the Big Ten from day one."

Go Gophers!!

Film Study: Minnesota’s Brandon Johnson

I’ve been very forthright about how much I like Brandon Johnson’s game. I think he’s the perfect big in today’s game with the power to get where he wants as well as the skill to finish. This article will take a look at exactly the attributes that Johnson brings to the table that will help them transition into a new era without Daniel Oturu.

Go Gophers!!

A lot of Jordan Murphy in that. Not quite as powerful but a better looking outside shot. Looks like an outstanding pickup.

Aggressive and physical. That shot does look pretty smooth around the mid-range and fading away. Would be nice to see him hit 35%+ from 3 this year too.

per Sid:

• ESPN ranked new Gophers hoops transfer Brandon Johnson as the 13th-best graduate transfer in the nation and the No. 4 power forward. “His size and rebounding ability should make an impact in the Big Ten,” ESPN wrote.

Go Gophers!!

Top Bottom