Brandon Johnson Commits

2019-20 stats: 15.4 ppg, 8.1 rpg, 31 blocks, 32 assists, 15 steals - 32 games played / 991 minutes
Third Team All-MAC
Became 44th member of WMU's 1,000-point club
Two-time MAC West Player of the Week (12/17) (2/10)
• Played in all 32 games, making 31 starts and averaging 31.0 minutes per game
• Ranked 8th in the MAC in rebounding (8.1), 6th in blocks (1.0) and 5th in defensive rebounds (6.2)
• Led the Broncos in Rebounds (258), Blocks (31) and Double-Doubles (6)
• Scored a career-high 29 points on 12-of-14 shooting vs. Ball State (2/8)
• Shot 70 percent from the field with 21 points at Miami (2/4)
• Matched career-high with four blocks in First Round of MAC Tournament at Toledo (3/9)

So who is our starting five next year?

Nice spring recruiting period.....

I expect him to be better than Alihan and our starting 5 with Ihnen at the 4 if Robbins is a no go. Much better athlete than Alihan and a better rebounder and defender. Very similar to pre injury Curry.

This staff continues to excel at spring recruiting. Will be interested to see if they continue pursuing Walton or kicking the tires on any other transfers.

Awesome pickup!! He will start at the 4, or at the 5 should Robbins not get his waiver.

Wonder if we are out of the running for Kerwin...but I'm assuming we'd make room for him if necessary? Perhaps encourage Greenlee to leave, or Curry to retire, etc
Agreed. I think he'd make the room.

This staff continues to excel at spring recruiting. Will be interested to see if they continue pursuing Walton or kicking the tires on any other transfers.
If he's kicking tires id think it means: 1) Curry isn't gonna be back (especially with his signing Johnson) or: 2) Greenlee is gone (especially if we go hunting a PG). I think we've heard all we're gonna hear from Walton until he decides. So it's possible things might be quiet but we still land him.

per Daniels:

Western Michigan transfer Brandon Johnson just verbally committed to Minnesota, he tells 247Sports.

"I picked Minnesota because I think it's the best opportunity for me especially with them being in the Big Ten conference," Johnson said. "I think it's the best way to accomplish my dreams after this year."

Johnson, a 6-foot-8 versatile forward, reeled in a wide range of high major interest, but ultimately picked the Golden Gophers over Cincinnati and Dayton.

Go Gophers!!

I expect him to be better than Alihan and our starting 5 with Ihnen at the 4 if Robbins is a no go. Much better athlete than Alihan and a better rebounder and defender. Very similar to pre injury Curry.

I'd refrain from comparing every player out there with current/former gophers like you've been doing lately. Brandon is a completely different player than the two Gophers you have mentioned. The Robbins / Matz reference was also very aggressive and off-base as Robbins has about 30-40 lbs more muscle mass than Matz and a more developed all around game. Let's wait to set new-player expectations until we see them integrate with the team.

If he's kicking tires id think it means: 1) Curry isn't gonna be back (especially with his signing Johnson) or: 2) Greenlee is gone (especially if we go hunting a PG). I think we've heard all we're gonna hear from Walton isn't he decides.
We already have Mashburn coming in who can play the point (I know he's a combo). They will find a spot if Walton wants in...

I'm going differently here:

Carr
Gabe
Ihnen
Johnson
Robbins

I'd like to see this as well. This lineup is only possible if Ihnen has a strong developmental offseason. This means no lapses in defensive awareness, an added handle/dribble drive, and more strength to finish at the rim and among traffic.

Unless we someone transfers or Carr doesn’t come back, this is it.
Greenlee Exits? Hadley enters maybe.
I felt like we needed another 6’10+ player to fit the C spot for us - unless Freeman takes a leap forward Robbins is our lone legitimate threat at Center on roster.
PG - Carr Mashburn Greenlee
Wings - Gabe Willis Williams
Forwards - Ihnen Johnson Curry Omersa Mitchell
Centers - Robbins Freeman

we’ll be playing someone who’s not truely a fit for the post a decent amount next year. Not that playing small ball isn’t horrible but I’m worried that ends up burning us.

Here’s what I see our starting lineup looking like I could see us with 8-9 different guys cracking the lineup:
Carr
Gabe
Ihnen or Mashburn
Johnson or Willis or Williams
Robbins

Top Bottom