Brandon Johnson Commits

This staff continues to excel at spring recruiting. Will be interested to see if they continue pursuing Walton or kicking the tires on any other transfers.
I would wave goodbye to Walton. Pitino knows better, if Walton wanted to commit he would’ve done it by now. Go gophers

Greenlee Exits? Hadley enters maybe.
I felt like we needed another 6’10+ player to fit the C spot for us - unless Freeman takes a leap forward Robbins is our lone legitimate threat at Center on roster.
PG - Carr Mashburn Greenlee
Wings - Gabe Willis Williams
Forwards - Ihnen Johnson Curry Omersa Mitchell
Centers - Robbins Freeman

we’ll be playing someone who’s not truely a fit for the post a decent amount next year. Not that playing small ball isn’t horrible but I’m worried that ends up burning us.

Here’s what I see our starting lineup looking like I could see us with 8-9 different guys cracking the lineup:
Carr
Gabe
Ihnen or Mashburn
Johnson or Willis or Williams
Robbins
Hadley committed to Northeastern.
Isn't Mitchell a wing?

Greenlee Exits? Hadley enters maybe.
I felt like we needed another 6’10+ player to fit the C spot for us - unless Freeman takes a leap forward Robbins is our lone legitimate threat at Center on roster.
PG - Carr Mashburn Greenlee
Wings - Gabe Willis Williams
Forwards - Ihnen Johnson Curry Omersa Mitchell
Centers - Robbins Freeman

we’ll be playing someone who’s not truely a fit for the post a decent amount next year. Not that playing small ball isn’t horrible but I’m worried that ends up burning us.

Here’s what I see our starting lineup looking like I could see us with 8-9 different guys cracking the lineup:
Carr
Gabe
Ihnen or Mashburn
Johnson or Willis or Williams
Robbins

I wouldn't harp on that too much these days. Ohio State will be starting a 6'6 and 6'8 frontcourt pair next year and are still a top 15 team on paper.

wow! nice....like somebody else said...we need job saving Pitino on the recruiting trail all the time!

Good get. This team has chance to be halfway decent if Carr comes back

There you have it, just like I said, Johnson was the next priority!

No waiver starting 5:
PG: Carr/Mash/Greenlee
SG: Gabe/Willis/Williams/Mash
SF: Williams/Willis
PF: Ihnen/Johnson/Curry/Omersa/Mitchell
C: Johnson/Freeman/Curry/Mitchell

Without Robbins, I see the set as having two players down low with each popping out for occasional opportunities and neither being a prototypical low post unless Freeman is in the game. The kind of two PF set we used to have with Mbawkwe and Sir Rodney. Could be very interesting! Especially if Curry is healthy! Would love to see Curry come back and enable Ihnen to play at SF which would be ideal!

Waiver for Robbins:
SG: Gabe/Willis/Mash
SF: Ihnen/Williams/Willis
PF: Johnson/Ihnen/Omersa/Mitchell
C: Robbins/Curry/Freeman/

With Robbins onboard I'd throw versatility out and let guys concentrate on positions. Let players play one spot on offense and defense. Rely on a consistent low post threat on offense and defense and let the perimeter players pick their spots. Johnson and Robbins can clean the glass with support from Ihnen and Carr! This lineup would give me reason to believe! Especially with a healthy Curry! If Robbins can keep his fouls under control and we can only need 10 minutes from Freeman if Curry isn't healthy then I'm still pretty positive. Biggest question is development with all this COVID stuff keeping guys away from the gym.

This staff continues to excel at spring recruiting. Will be interested to see if they continue pursuing Walton or kicking the tires on any other transfers.
I hope they do! if Walton wants to come here I would have to assume we would find room

I'd refrain from comparing every player out there with current/former gophers like you've been doing lately. Brandon is a completely different player than the two Gophers you have mentioned. The Robbins / Matz reference was also very aggressive and off-base as Robbins has about 30-40 lbs more muscle mass than Matz and a more developed all around game. Let's wait to set new-player expectations until we see them integrate with the team.
I said at the very worst I'd expect Robbins to be a better Matz but more likely closer to Reggie. And that was more from a contribution standpoint, not necessarily style of play.

I never said Johnson was a similar player to Alihan, I said I expect him to be better. And i'll stand by my comparison to pre-injury Curry. They are 100% very similar players and have/had similar games.

Unless we someone transfers or Carr doesn’t come back, this is it.

Whats Next????

Evan Daniels says Pitino is still actively recruiting Kerwin Walton. The 3 options are someone currently on scholarship would have to transfer, Marcus Carr staying in the NBA Draft or Eric Curry medically retiring. We don't know of any transfers and Carr made it known to the coaching staff he wants to come back.

There you have it, just like I said, Johnson was the next priority!

No waiver starting 5:
SG: Gabe/Willis/Williams/Mash
SF: Williams/Willis
PF: Ihnen/Johnson/Curry/Omersa/Mitchell
C: Johnson/Freeman/Curry/Mitchell

Without Robbins, I see the set as having two players down low with each popping out for occasional opportunities and neither being a prototypical low post unless Freeman is in the game. Could be very interesting! Would love to see Curry come back and enable Ihnen to play at SF which would be ideal!

Waiver for Robbins:
SG: Gabe/Willis/Mash
SF: Ihnen/Williams/Willis
PF: Johnson/Ihnen/Omersa/Mitchell
C: Robbins/Curry/Freeman/

With Robbins onboard I'd throw versatility out and let guys concentrate on positions. Let players play one spot on offense and defense. Rely on a consistent low post threat on offense and defense and let the perimeter players pick their spots. Johnson and Robbins can clean the glass with support from Ihnen and Carr! This lineup would give me reason to believe! Especially with a healthy Curry! If Robbins can keep his fouls under control and we can only need 10 minutes from Freeman if Curry isn't healthy then I'm still pretty positive. Biggest question is development with all this COVID stuff keeping guys away from the gym.

man either of those starting 5's was better than I was thinking they would be...but if Robbins can play right away man I really like this team!

and let me say that i love Mitchell's potential....but how nice would that be if he would be ok with redshirting now and we rotate Johnson, Ihnen, Omersa, & Curry at the 4. If he is only going to get Greenlee/Freeman minutes at the 3/4 this upcoming year i would at least give him the option if he would be ok to redshirt lets do it!

Awesome pickup!! He will start at the 4, or at the 5 should Robbins not get his waiver.

Wonder if we are out of the running for Kerwin...but I'm assuming we'd make room for him if necessary? Perhaps encourage Greenlee to leave, or Curry to retire, etc
After everything he has been through, and to come back every time, I have to imagine Curry would bodyslam Pitino if he asked him to retire to make room. Can't see that.

He'll have to push someone else out, if he wants Walton badly enough.

Did we offer Brandon Johnson out of high school?

Doubt it, but I did just read that he played (earlier years) for the same AAU team as incoming freshman Martice Mitchell. So maybe that connection in Chicago bore fruit again for Pitino.

After everything he has been through, and to come back every time, I have to imagine Curry would bodyslam Pitino if he asked him to retire to make room. Can't see that.

Let the nudging commence

What a week! Robbins AND Johnson in the span of five days? Couldn't have asked for a better response by the coaching staff after Oturu's draft decision. If we somehow get Walton too, I'm going to party like it's 2009 (senior year in college). Major hangover be damned...

If that is Pitino's intent, then Curry would likely reinjure himself in the process of body slamming him and be unable to play anyway.

With Robbins it would be:

Carr
Willis
Kalscheur
Johnson
Robbins
I think put Ihnen @ the SF and have Willis come off the bench. Bench scoring will be crucial to our success this year. I still have a feeling we are still in the running for Walton though, just sayin

I mean ..... sorry, nothing personal, but Greenlee should be out the door anyway. He's never going to play here.

If people (and Pitino then, I assume) are so certain that Carr is coming back, and we'll have Mashburn next year to back him up ..... then push out Greenlee and have that scholarship for Walton, or another big if Walton goes elsewhere.

Zero chance Pitino would ask him to do that. Nor should he. They've already said his rehab is going well. Nudging Greenlee out is more likely. If Carr comes back, he will get zero meaningful minutes.

I mean ..... sorry, nothing personal, but Greenlee should be out the door anyway. He's never going to play here.

If people (and Pitino then, I assume) are so certain that Carr is coming back, and we'll have Mashburn next year to back him up ..... then push out Greenlee and have that scholarship for Walton, or another big if Walton goes elsewhere.
Greenlee makes the most sense....he will never have a meaningful role on the court here

What a week! Robbins AND Johnson in the span of five days? Couldn't have asked for a better response by the coaching staff after Oturu's draft decision. If we somehow get Walton too, I'm going to party like it's 2009 (senior year in college). Major hangover be damned...

Maybe sure you have some Coronas, I'll bring the limes

Top Bottom