Braeden Carrington Steps Away from Program

No is the answer. Once you have played you are basically locked on that team, or in soccer terms cap tied. Had he not played a game then yes. That has happened twice this year. Once prior to the season with Jose Perez who left WVU and is playing for ASU, and more recently with NaeQwan Tomlin who was suspended at KSU, hadn't played a game and transfered to Memphis where he will be eligible when the semester starts this winter
I think Tomlin played the other day?

Terrible speculation from someone with actual contacts. Maybe he transfers at the end of the season, but he comes back to the team the day after he’s said to be transferring.

Terrible speculation from someone with actual contacts. Maybe he transfers at the end of the season, but he comes back to the team the day after he’s said to be transferring.
Shooter needs to hang it up and retire. Not the first time he has run with horrible and completely incorrect information, and almost certainly won't be the last time either. I don't read his column but assume he won't apologize or acknowledge that he was wrong even though that would be the right thing to do.

Shooter needs to hang it up and retire. Not the first time he has run with horrible and completely incorrect information, and almost certainly won't be the last time either. I don't read his column but assume he won't apologize or acknowledge that he was wrong even though that would be the right thing to do.

I don't agree in this case. Shooter is 76 years old and has been doing this for a long time. I really doubt he feels compelled to throw out random information to "see if it sticks" at this point in his career, particularly as it pertains to a team that is largely a niche following (now, not always). I believe he got some information from somebody close to the team that indicated he expected Carrington to enter the portal. I don't believe the article said it was imminent. It still could happen at the end of the year. Who knows.

Not directed at Carrington specifically in what I'm about to write. But....these guys sign up for this and it can't be easy to try to juggle all the responsibilities, particularly for a local kid. The microscope is on them and with it comes feedback/speculation/etc that can get unfair or even wrong at times. This looks more and more like professional sports every day with NIL, virtual free agency and freedom of movement, and ridiculous ticket prices. Heck, Carrington's own twitter page calls himself a "professional athlete." This is what the players wanted. That isn't to say we shouldn't treat them like human beings. I get that and why this situation in particular seemed unseemly with the mental health implications. But nothing I've seen has been completely out of bounds here.

I don't agree in this case. Shooter is 76 years old and has been doing this for a long time. I really doubt he feels compelled to throw out random information to "see if it sticks" at this point in his career, particularly as it pertains to a team that is largely a niche following (now, not always). I believe he got some information from somebody close to the team that indicated he expected Carrington to enter the portal. I don't believe the article said it was imminent. It still could happen at the end of the year. Who knows.

Not directed at Carrington specifically in what I'm about to write. But....these guys sign up for this and it can't be easy to try to juggle all the responsibilities, particularly for a local kid. The microscope is on them and with it comes feedback/speculation/etc that can get unfair or even wrong at times. This looks more and more like professional sports every day with NIL, virtual free agency and freedom of movement, and ridiculous ticket prices. Heck, Carrington's own twitter page calls himself a "professional athlete." This is what the players wanted. That isn't to say we shouldn't treat them like human beings. I get that and why this situation in particular seemed unseemly with the mental health implications. But nothing I've seen has been completely out of bounds here.
This seems like the more likely scenario. There's no way Walters dreamt this and thought it was true.

This seems like the more likely scenario. There's no way Walters dreamt this and thought it was true.

Shooter has no problem running with flimsy or just flat out wrong information. He tosses stuff out there all the time and hopes to hit on a few knowing people will just forget about all the times he is wrong.

I understand your thoughtful analysis, but don’t completely agree. I do think the speculation about a transfer without reference to the mental health issue was irresponsible and even despicable on Charley’s part. He gave no consideration to his personal situation when speculating about transfer. I do think you are right that he didn’t make it up. He heard it from one unreliable source and ran with it. That was at best a mistake in judgment and at worst a callous dig into the life of a kid and his family.

I work with a lot of people who would be terrible sources about anything in my life. I bet I’m not the only one. Some friend of Ben from high school or equally random person isn’t a good source. Charley should not have run with it because it was factually incorrect and an unnecessary intrusion into a kid’s life.

I understand your thoughtful analysis, but don’t completely agree. I do think the speculation about a transfer without reference to the mental health issue was irresponsible and even despicable on Charley’s part. He gave no consideration to his personal situation when speculating about transfer. I do think you are right that he didn’t make it up. He heard it from one unreliable source and ran with it. That was at best a mistake in judgment and at worst a callous dig into the life of a kid and his family.

I work with a lot of people who would be terrible sources about anything in my life. I bet I’m not the only one. Some friend of Ben from high school or equally random person isn’t a good source. Charley should not have run with it because it was factually incorrect and an unnecessary intrusion into a kid’s life.
Great post.

Two additional points -

1. His editor(s) are equally culpable.
2. There’s a reason why reporters when reporting stories with sensitive subject matter, should use multiple sources.

Whomever the "source" was, got burned. Or they were Fing with Shooter on purpose. I could see either.

Top Bottom