Braeden Carrington Steps Away from Program

Braeden Carrington
Sophomore men's basketball guard Braeden Carrington (Brooklyn Park, Minn.) has announced that he will take an indefinite leave of absence from the program to focus on his mental health. Carrington has started in all 10 games for the Golden Gophers this season.

"We fully support Braeden as he takes this time to focus on his mental health," head coach Ben Johnson said. "Myself, our administration and our team will do whatever we can to help him and I admire Braeden for his courage. We will be here to assist him every step of the way."

If they are just discovering classroom issues--thats a failure by many people.

Hope all is well and he makes it back to the team this year.
I doubt it's classroom issues, just based on my personal experience in school and my friends that were athletes. With all the fail safes and monitoring, you'd have try to fail on purpose to become ineligible. But whatever his concerns are, I'm glad he is addressing them.

Hopefully he is able to work through whatever it is he is dealing with right now. As far as timing goes not a horrible time to have him step away with the lighter schedule between now and the first part of January when things pick up again.

He has shown some real improvement on the court this season so hopefully this all works out for the best and he is able to get back with the team sooner rather than later.

OK...now shut down any speculation and let the kid concentrate on himself.

There is a lot more to life than basketball.
I dont agree with most of UU posts but this is accurate. Let the kid get healthy and do what he needs. Hopefully he rejoins the team soon and is good to go!

OK...now shut down any speculation and let the kid concentrate on himself.

There is a lot more to life than basketball.
Hopefully Mr Carrington is wise enough to realize that going to the Gopherhole is a bad mental health option. Hopefully he stays clear of all social media and finds some peace.

Many years back (late 70s) I knew a kid who had started for Georgia Tech and found he was miserable. He ultimately quit basketball and became a preacher. He's been a pastor in Vegas for about 30 years now. I think I saw something on CCO 4 about Randel Cunningham and a similar path after football.

In any case, life is bigger than sports. I hope he gets better soon.

Hopefully Mr Carrington is wise enough to realize that going to the Gopherhole is a bad mental health option. Hopefully he stays clear of all social media and finds some peace.

Many years back (late 70s) I knew a kid who had started for Georgia Tech and found he was miserable. He ultimately quit basketball and became a preacher. He's been a pastor in Vegas for about 30 years now. I think I saw something on CCO 4 about Randel Cunningham and a similar path after football.

In any case, life is bigger than sports. I hope he gets better soon.
You think he is going to step away from the program so he can spend time visiting GH? I have a feeling this is much bigger than what is being said about his performance on social media.

Top Bottom