Bowl Game Projections?

This is what is replaying in the back of my mind too as locally it seemed like people were acting like we should crush them and instead we got crushed.

Looking at Syracuse, FSU, etc. has me thinking we will be heavy underdogs and extremely likely to lose. Whoever we play sounds like it will be a really tough game for us to win. 😣😔

You might want to check that replay in your mind again. Syracuse indeed won but it was 21-17.

Looked and the Gophers had 350 yards of Offense, Syracuse had 396. Time of possession was Gophers 30 minutes to 29 for the Orange. My memory was how chippy a game it was. There were 17 penalties as evenly split as possible.

Also remember that Wolitarsky missed a pass in the end zone that would have won it for the Gophers.

Ah, thanks for bringing back those memories?;)

Hey, I can still hope for Vs Notre Dame in the Mayo Bowl can't I? :):);)

Guess they wanted to avoid a Big Ten matchup. Doesn’t make sense to not drop TCU with a loss, but they didn’t want to give it to a 2 loss team.
I would say that regular season is more important, which I agree with. OSU shouldn't pass them as they didn't have to play 13th game. 12 - 1 better than 11 - 1.

Guess they wanted to avoid a Big Ten matchup. Doesn’t make sense to not drop TCU with a loss, but they didn’t want to give it to a 2 loss team.
Well TCU has as good of a best win as Ohio state (k state vs penn state) and the only team to beat TCU TCu has also beaten

I get it but I agree with you

I would say that regular season is more important, which I agree with. OSU shouldn't pass them as they didn't have to play 13th game. 12 - 1 better than 11 - 1.
Especially since TCU’s 1 is a team they beat

Imagine this: a Michigan-Ohio State national championship game matchup.

Oh, my.

E(SEC)PN would not be pleased.

Last edited:

Would love to see OSU beat Georgia but a tough task in what essentially is a home game for GA.

Difference is the Mayo Bowl is on the 30th which is a Friday compared with the Pinstripe which is the 29th (Thursday). A lot more people taking that Friday off due to New Years.

True, but a fair number of people take off the week between Christmas and New Years. Having a fair amount of experience with Nashville (both as a nearby resident and traveler in the past), that one could be the worst of the three for a traveler. Given both the bowl and its New Year's eve date, hotel prices will be jacked up really high, might be tough to get one in town, flights might be more difficult, and the bars, clubs, and restaurants will be packed.

In some ways, Pinstripe could be the best of the three for a traveler: sufficiently removed from New Year's eve, 3 major airports, plentiful public transportation, and hotel prices maybe not jacked up much or at all above normal.

FWIW, in cruising a Syracuse board it seems the Pinstripe is a done deal according to a couple people believed to be insiders. Their fans seem amused by our disappointment and excited to hand MN another loss in a bowl game.

Yes, they did give us a humiliating loss in 2013 but, before they get too confident, they should check out the record of Big Ten teams against ACC teams in bowl games during the last five seasons.

Big Ten was 3-1 against ACC in 2021 with that one loss by 5-7 replacement team Rutgers (who had about a week to prep) against Wake Forest

Big Ten was 1-0 in 2020

Big Ten was 1-1 in 2019 (OSU loss to Clemson in CFP)

Big Ten was 2-0 in 2018

Big Ten was 2-0 in 2017

Duke’s Mayo to announce at 3PM.

Music City at 4:45PM.

Could not find Pinstripe announcement timing.

Surprised announcements in general not coming faster so people can start planning and booking.

Here's what the interwebs and other message boards are saying.

• Iowa is all but confirmed to Music City, probably against Ole Miss.
  • Syracuse is all but confirmed to the Pinstripe.
  • Almost every outlet predicts Minnesota to the Pinstripe and Maryland to the Mayo except CBS. Palm updated his projections an hour ago and kept Minnesota in the Mayo, but vs NC State instead of FSU. He's got Maryland in the Guaranteed Rate and Wisconsin in the Pinstripe.
  • A couple Syracuse posters are hearing it's 50/50 Minnesota or Wisconsin in the Pinstripe.

• Almost every outlet predicts Minnesota to the Pinstripe and Maryland to the Mayo except CBS. Palm updated his projections an hour ago and kept Minnesota in the Mayo, but vs NC State instead of FSU. He's got Maryland in the Guaranteed Rate and Wisconsin in the Pinstripe.
  • A couple Syracuse posters are hearing it's 50/50 Minnesota or Wisconsin in the Pinstripe.
So your telling me there’s a chance. Hoping for Mayo!

CFN still has the Gophers in the Mayo Bowl. Against Florida State however. Problem is that they have Maryland in the Pinstripe Bowl....and that seems unlikely.

CFN still has the Gophers in the Mayo Bowl. Against Florida State however. Problem is that they have Maryland in the Pinstripe Bowl....and that seems unlikely.
I think I was wrong whole time. If pinstripe chooses before mayo we are 100% pinstripe

Duke's Mayo account says they've chosen but I don't see anything leaked yet. Thought this was funny though 😂

This is what is replaying in the back of my mind too as locally it seemed like people were acting like we should crush them and instead we got crushed.

Looking at Syracuse, FSU, etc. has me thinking we will be heavy underdogs and extremely likely to lose. Whoever we play sounds like it will be a really tough game for us to win. 😣😔
As another reply to you said, the Gophers didn't get crushed. The final score was 21-17, and Syracuse only retook the lead with 1:14 left in the game.

The disappointment from the Minnesota side going into that game was because we had just won 8 games for the first time in 10 years, and had hopes for a decent bowl game, a better one than we usually get, maybe a New Year's Day game. Instead the Gator Bowl took an 8-4 Nebraska team with a head to head loss to Minnesota, to play Georgia, after Nebraska had already played Georgia in the previous year's Capital One Bowl. Minnesota ended up not just getting denied the chance to go to a better bowl game than usual, they got sent to the exact same bowl game for the second year in a row, despite being 8-4 instead of 6-6 like the previous year, and against a 6-6 opponent, whom we had also just played in the regular season the year before. Best season in a decade and we play an opponent we played last year in the same bowl game we went to last year. Syracuse being mediocre was just one of multiple factors.

I'm curious about Syracuse fans' amusement at our disappointment. Are Syracuse fans excited to play Minnesota for a 4th time in 15 years? That's the main reason for disappointment with the opponent, just that we've played them a few times semi-recently, it's not really disrespect. Even playing 7-5 Wake Forest or 7-5 Louisville would just be a new opponent and have some appeal in that respect. West Virginia had that going for them last year.

If Syracuse fans wanna talk shit, we can remind them we've won 3 of the last 4 against them, and Donovan McNabb lost to a Jim Wacker coached team.

Also Georgia Tech fans were disappointed to be playing a 6-6 Minnesota in Detroit in 2018, and it wasn't disrespect to us. They just wanted to play a better team in a better bowl game, and were disappointed with what they got. I don't think anyone here is holding a grudge against Georgia Tech for that.

As another reply to you said, the Gophers didn't get crushed. The final score was 21-17, and Syracuse only retook the lead with 1:14 left in the game.

The disappointment from the Minnesota side going into that game was because we had just won 8 games for the first time in 10 years, and had hopes for a decent bowl game, a better one than we usually get, maybe a New Year's Day game. Instead the Gator Bowl took an 8-4 Nebraska team with a head to head loss to Minnesota, to play Georgia, after Nebraska had already played Georgia in the previous year's Capital One Bowl. Minnesota ended up not just getting denied the chance to go to a better bowl game than usual, they got sent to the exact same bowl game for the second year in a row, despite being 8-4 instead of 6-6 like the previous year, and against a 6-6 opponent, whom we had also just played in the regular season the year before. Best season in a decade and we play an opponent we played last year in the same bowl game we went to last year. Syracuse being mediocre was just one of multiple factors.

I'm curious about Syracuse fans' amusement at our disappointment. Are Syracuse fans excited to play Minnesota for a 4th time in 15 years? That's the main reason for disappointment with the opponent, just that we've played them a few times semi-recently, it's not really disrespect. Even playing 7-5 Wake Forest or 7-5 Louisville would just be a new opponent and have some appeal in that respect. West Virginia had that going for them last year.

If Syracuse fans wanna talk shit, we can remind them we've won 3 of the last 4 against them, and Donovan McNabb lost to a Jim Wacker coached team.

Also Georgia Tech fans were disappointed to be playing a 6-6 Minnesota in Detroit in 2018, and it wasn't disrespect to us. They just wanted to play a better team in a better bowl game, and were disappointed with what they got. I don't think anyone here is holding a grudge against Georgia Tech for that.
The thing is the that the team that is disappointed in their selection lost their games (Georgia Tech and Minnesota). So, we would be in that position yet again and I worry it will bite us in the butt.

Top Bottom