Bowl Game Projections?

I think a whole new bowl game should be created that matches up soon to be 6-6 New Mexico State against 6-6 Wisconsin in a rematch of their earlier season game.

I think a whole new bowl game should be created that matches up soon to be 6-6 New Mexico State against 6-6 Wisconsin in a rematch of their earlier season game.

Is Fuke Lickell going to coach the Badgers in their bowl game?

looking at updated projections I actually hope we end up in guaranteed rate bowl vs Oklahoma

Plus, as I am stuck on east coast it’ll be fun to have back to back years with the game starting after 10pm LOL

Agree, but there are a lot of years the Vikings and Twins shared a field
True. But the Metrodome was absolutely not a baseball stadium. Was not really a football stadium either, but given the choice, it was better for football. Heck, it might have even been better for basketball than baseball.

True. But the Metrodome was absolutely not a baseball stadium. Was not really a football stadium either, but given the choice, it was better for football. Heck, it might have even been better for basketball than baseball.
Old Met Stadium.

Went to a Gopher hoops game years ago I think against Cal. The glare from the lights off the floor was bad. We were on the third base side

Final ESPN projections:

Dec. 29

Bad Boy Mowers Pinstripe Bowl

Yankee Stadium (New York)
2 p.m., ESPN and the ESPN App

Bonagura: Pitt vs. Minnesota
Schlabach: Syracuse vs. Minnesota

Go Gophers!!

CFN chimes in:

Duke’s Mayo Bowl​

Friday, December 30, 2022
12:00, ESPN
Bank of America Stadium, Charlotte, NC
Last Year: South Carolina 38, North Carolina 21
Bowl Ties: ACC vs Big Ten
Bowl Projection: Florida State vs Minnesota
Previous Bowl Projection: Florida State vs Iowa

Go Gophers!!

Two writers predicting the Gophers against Fla State in Duke's Mayo. FSU currently is ranked at #14. This would be our highest risk/reward bowl since the 2014 Capital One against Missouri (unranked 8-4 Gophers against 10-3 #16). Auburn was ranked higher at this time in 2019 (#9) but the Gophers were also ranked (#16).

I wanted a better bowl opponent than Syracuse but I'm not sure I wanted one this good. Fla State might be the best opponent of any Big Ten team playing in a bowl below the Citrus. The game would be a great challenge and opportunity. The Gophers were underdogs in two of their three previous bowl appearances under Fleck but they have a 3-0 record.

Two writers predicting the Gophers against Fla State in Duke's Mayo. FSU currently is ranked at #14. This would be our highest risk/reward bowl since the 2014 Capital One against Missouri (#16). Auburn was ranked higher at this time in 2019 (#9) but the Gophers were also ranked (#16).

I wanted a better bowl opponent than Syracuse but I'm not sure I wanted one this good. Fla State might be the best opponent of any Big Ten team playing in a bowl below the Citrus. The game would be a great challenge and opportunity. The Gophers were underdogs in two of their three previous bowl appearances under Fleck but they have a 3-0 record.
I'd love FSU. Beat a ranked team with name recognition to springboard excitement into next season.

I'd love FSU. Beat a ranked team with name recognition to springboard excitement into next season.

Agreed. I'm surprised FL State isn't projected to a higher bowl. By virtually all measures, they're the second best ACC team to Clemson and they only lost to Clemson by 6 points. They beat LSU by a point.

I want to beat FSU. I want to beat a ranked helmet school. We should be a one loss team going into this and the PSU game should have been close. We are good enough to get it done. Fleck is an outstanding bowl coach. And Athan give us real offense again.

Two writers predicting the Gophers against Fla State in Duke's Mayo. FSU currently is ranked at #14. This would be our highest risk/reward bowl since the 2014 Capital One against Missouri (unranked 8-4 Gophers against 10-3 #16). Auburn was ranked higher at this time in 2019 (#9) but the Gophers were also ranked (#16).

This is not against you at all - but the statement above is so typical of many fans. We want an opponent that does not suck in our eyes, but they can’t be too good either. Screw that IMO play the best team you can.

For bowl games....I'm always of the opinion that we should want the best possible opponent. Even if it lessens the chance of a win.

I want to beat FSU. I want to beat a ranked helmet school. We should be a one loss team going into this and the PSU game should have been close. We are good enough to get it done. Fleck is an outstanding bowl coach. And Athan give us real offense again.

I agree that we have a fair chance and I have trust in Fleck & Company in bowl games. I don't agree that we should have only one loss. Illinois beat the hell out of us.

For bowl games....I'm always of the opinion that we should want the best possible opponent. Even if it lessens the chance of a win.
I am not necessarily for that
I am in favor of the best “helmet - school”

For instance, I loved playing Alabama even though they were bad. Much more than playing a Virginia team in a different year that was better

Our possible opponents…I’d rank them:
Oklahoma (guaranteed rate bowl - long shot)
Ole miss
Florida state
Mississippi state
South Carolina
NC State
Pitt
Kentucky
Syracuse
Wake forest
Duke

I am not necessarily for that
I am in favor of the best “helmet - school”

For instance, I loved playing Alabama even though they were bad. Much more than playing a Virginia team in a different year that was better

Our possible opponents…I’d rank them:
Oklahoma (guaranteed rate bowl - long shot)
Ole miss
Florida state
Mississippi state
South Carolina
NC State
Pitt
Kentucky
Syracuse
Wake forest
Duke

Yeah, I agree with that. Just that typically the best opponent available is also the opponent with the largest "brand". Not always the case. Oklahoma is a prime example of that. I was upset last year about the Guaranteed Rate Bowl. If they had been the opponent, I wouldn't have cared one bit. But that's how we continue to draw the short stack. We got it last year and were subjected to WVU. Badgers will "have" to play in it this year.....but they'll get a helmet school somehow.

This is not against you at all - but the statement above is so typical of many fans. We want an opponent that does not suck in our eyes, but they can’t be too good either. Screw that IMO play the best team you can.

Relax. I'm certainly not upset about the prospect of having a great opportunity to make a statement about the program. I'm just being honest about how I know I will feel. If we win, I'll be ecstatic and on Cloud Nine for at least a week. If we lose, I'll be wishing we played someone else. Winning bowl games means a lot to me because the last one is the one you carry with you for the next 8 months. I suppose if we lost by a 55 yard field goal at the end of regulation, I'd feel OK too.

Yeah, I agree with that. Just that typically the best opponent available is also the opponent with the largest "brand". Not always the case. Oklahoma is a prime example of that. I was upset last year about the Guaranteed Rate Bowl. If they had been the opponent, I wouldn't have cared one bit. But that's how we continue to draw the short stack. We got it last year and were subjected to WVU. Badgers will "have" to play in it this year.....but they'll get a helmet school somehow.
I actually loved playing WVU

West Virginia is a top 5 spot in the country I would like to see a game played. Much more interesting than Iowa state or Texas tech for a game

GopherIllustrated (247Sports) just reneged on yesterday's prediction of a Gopher-Miss State matchup in the Outback. They are now on the Pinstripe (Syracuse) bandwagon "based on information received by GopherIllustrated" - "all signs are pointing to the Gophers being headed to New York"

I like to think of bowl opponents in recruiting terms. Which would we rather PJ be able to say to recruits:

1. I’ve won bowl games against Georgia Tech, West Virginia, Auburn, and Syracuse/Duke.

Or

2. I’ve won bowl games against Georgia Tech, West Virginia, Auburn, and Florida State.

Seems clear to me. FSU would be tough but we can’t be scared of playing the big boys.

GopherIllustrated (247Sports) just reneged on yesterday's prediction of a Gopher-Miss State matchup in the Outback. They are now on the Pinstripe (Syracuse) bandwagon "based on information received by GopherIllustrated" - "all signs are pointing to the Gophers being headed to New York"
Yeah, I'm as bummed about it as anyone -- especially if the opponent is Syracuse -- but all signs point to NYC and have been for days, despite our hope springing eternal.

My question is this: if no team or fanbase wants to play in this freaking bowl, why does the B1G keep it in the rotation? It's so stupid.

Everyone local using the same source to say New York

If that source is correct then it’s New York.
If that source isn’t correct then they all should’ve tried to find a corroborating source

One interesting thing I’ve seen is that the athletic calls pinstripe big ten #5 and calls dukes mayo big ten #6.
I assumed it was the other way around. If pinstripe gets to choose before dukes mayo then our chances of pinstripe are much higher than I thought.

I’m hoping for pinstripe as I’ll be able to attend the game

Yeah, I'm as bummed about it as anyone -- especially if the opponent is Syracuse -- but all signs point to NYC and have been for days, despite our hope springing eternal.

My question is this: if no team or fanbase wants to play in this freaking bowl, why does the B1G keep it in the rotation? It's so stupid.
I’m not sure what’s in your second paragraph is the case.

Top Bottom