Bowl Game Projections?

I’m not sure what’s in your second paragraph is the case.

NYC certainly has its charms but I have to agree with him about the Pinstripe. First of all, the bowl doesn't have much upside. In its 11 year history, it has featured only two ranked teams (#25 Notre Dame in 2013 and #22 Pitt in 2016). Secondly, there is the weather. I can't see any conference team other than Rutgers having a strong incentive to play there.

For the talk above about a Florida/Minnesota Mayo Bowl, yeah, that's not happening. FSU is the #2 ACC team and will be in the Reliaquest with Clemson at #1 in the Orange.

NYC certainly has its charms but I have to agree with him about the Pinstripe. First of all, the bowl doesn't have much upside. In its 11 year history, it has featured only two ranked teams (#25 Notre Dame in 2013 and #22 Pitt in 2016). Secondly, there is the weather. I can't see any conference team other than Rutgers having a strong incentive to play there.
The lack of ranked teams has more to do with its place in selection than desire ability.
I think a lot of big ten fanbases have a larger NYC presence than MN does…maybe all of them except Nebraska

Maryland
Michigan state
Penn state
Indiana
Rutgers
Wisconsin
Iowa
Northwestern
Notre dame
Pitt
Miami
Boston college
Virginia tech

All those teams have played there the last 10 years. It’s a much better bowl game than the bottom tier of bowls

For the talk above about a Florida/Minnesota Mayo Bowl, yeah, that's not happening. FSU is the #2 ACC team and will be in the Reliaquest with Clemson at #1 in the Orange.
The ACC doesn’t have a Reliaquest tie in unless the big ten is in the orange

And in that case notre Dame would likely get the spot before Florida state

My question is this: if no team or fanbase wants to play in this freaking bowl, why does the B1G keep it in the rotation? It's so stupid.

Good question. NYC is one of the world's premier cities so I guess it's fitting that they should have a bowl and someone has to play in it. I guess they figure that a cold weather team would be best suited for that. It must be said that the bowl has a location with the potential of attracting an enormous number of patrons who can travel to it simply by car or public transportation.

Considering the weather and the fact that the bowl rarely has ranked participants, the typical attendance really hasn't been too bad (high 30s to high 40s). That's higher than the typical attendance at that San Francisco bowl where the conference use to participate.

Last edited:

The lack of ranked teams has more to do with its place in selection than desire ability.
I think a lot of big ten fanbases have a larger NYC presence than MN does…maybe all of them except Nebraska

Maryland
Michigan state
Penn state
Indiana
Rutgers
Wisconsin
Iowa
Northwestern
Notre dame
Pitt
Miami
Boston college
Virginia tech

All those teams have played there the last 10 years. It’s a much better bowl game than the bottom tier of bowls
And yet, I've never seen a fanbase excited about going or heard of a B1G team lobbying hard to get there. That's based pretty much only on Twitter and message boards though, so perhaps you're right that more casual fans get excited about it...I really have no idea. That said, I've be surprised if you saw more than about 5k Gophers fans there -- and likely less. You'd probably see double that in Nashville and at least a few thousand more in Charlotte. Again though, that's based only on people I know personally and online banter. Could be worth nothing.

FWIW, in cruising a Syracuse board it seems the Pinstripe is a done deal according to a couple people believed to be insiders. Their fans seem amused by our disappointment and excited to hand MN another loss in a bowl game.

It’s a huge bummer that both the Pinstripe and Mayo bowls are early on a weekday afternoon. That’s a workday for me and lots of corporate America (even if it’s a half-hearted workday).

Edit: Syracuse would also suck as an opponent because (1) they aren’t a “football” school, (2) Pinstripe May as well be a home game for them, (3) they’re a dangerous team—wins against Purdue and NC State with a 6 point loss AT Clemson.

What happened the last time this board was bummed about having to play Syracuse in a bowl game? 🤔

So through the course of today all the bowls get announced?

The last time this boars was bummed about having to play Syracuse in a bowl game the board ended up more bummed by a Gopher loss.
This is what is replaying in the back of my mind too as locally it seemed like people were acting like we should crush them and instead we got crushed.

Looking at Syracuse, FSU, etc. has me thinking we will be heavy underdogs and extremely likely to lose. Whoever we play sounds like it will be a really tough game for us to win. 😣😔

Last edited:

Everyone local using the same source to say New York

If that source is correct then it’s New York.
If that source isn’t correct then they all should’ve tried to find a corroborating source

One interesting thing I’ve seen is that the athletic calls pinstripe big ten #5 and calls dukes mayo big ten #6.
I assumed it was the other way around. If pinstripe gets to choose before dukes mayo then our chances of pinstripe are much higher than I thought.

I’m hoping for pinstripe as I’ll be able to attend the game

I saw that too. The Mayo and Pinstripe have almost identical payouts.

True. But the Metrodome was absolutely not a baseball stadium. Was not really a football stadium either, but given the choice, it was better for football. Heck, it might have even been better for basketball than baseball.
They also shared the old Met Stadium for many, many years. That was built as a baseball stadium footprint, until the giant left filed bleachers were built as a concession to football.

Yeah, I'm as bummed about it as anyone -- especially if the opponent is Syracuse -- but all signs point to NYC and have been for days, despite our hope springing eternal.

My question is this: if no team or fanbase wants to play in this freaking bowl, why does the B1G keep it in the rotation? It's so stupid.
It is. If you have the means to schlep over to NYC for an inner city game played against a lackluster opponent, have it.

It’d be nice to see Pinstripe and Detroit both disappear from potential bowls. I mean, what’s the point? Must be something beyond my smooth brained comprehension. I don know that I won’t be spending any time or dough on the gophs if they are in the pinstripe.

Everyone local using the same source to say New York

If that source is correct then it’s New York.
If that source isn’t correct then they all should’ve tried to find a corroborating source

One interesting thing I’ve seen is that the athletic calls pinstripe big ten #5 and calls dukes mayo big ten #6.
I assumed it was the other way around. If pinstripe gets to choose before dukes mayo then our chances of pinstripe are much higher than I thought.

I’m hoping for pinstripe as I’ll be able to attend the game
The pinstripe picks before Mayo according to the big ten

Attachments

• DF5B4E8D-C8D0-4B1C-9BDA-38068E32AFC6.jpeg
    DF5B4E8D-C8D0-4B1C-9BDA-38068E32AFC6.jpeg
    313.3 KB · Views: 11

A few things here:
1. This is an indictment on Jim Delany for agreeing to have a bowl game, in a baseball stadium, in in the north. Complete idoliocracy imo. Money grab and not looking our for players ans families at all regarding weather, travel, hotel costs etc.

2. The other issue is we have to play a team that we ve played 4x in last 10 years. I don't want to play Syracuse because they aren't a big name....it's because of all the P5 schools, we have seen them alot in last decade. I want to face another team.

It’s a huge bummer that both the Pinstripe and Mayo bowls are early on a weekday afternoon. That’s a workday for me and lots of corporate America (even if it’s a half-hearted workday).

Edit: Syracuse would also suck as an opponent because (1) they aren’t a “football” school, (2) Pinstripe May as well be a home game for them, (3) they’re a dangerous team—wins against Purdue and NC State with a 6 point loss AT Clemson.

Difference is the Mayo Bowl is on the 30th which is a Friday compared with the Pinstripe which is the 29th (Thursday). A lot more people taking that Friday off due to New Years.

So through the course of today all the bowls get announced?

Yes. These things are already being worked out behind the scenes....but until the CFP teams are chosen....they can't really solidify any of these games because of potentially moving parts. Games relevant to us will start being announced in the next few hours I'd guess. May not hear our actual game until late this afternoon/early evening.

The pinstripe picks before Mayo according to the big ten

That's a big surprise to me. And since both are against the ACC, I tried to find something on their selection process. From what I can tell....they have no formal selection process or order?

At the end of the day we’ve got 20 pages arguing or complaining about what third rate bowl game and opponent we get to play. Take whatever we get, and go win the game.

We've had projections ranging from a 7-5 Syracuse team....to a 9-3 Florida State team ranked #13. From a Thursday afternoon....to New Years.

Say what you will....but there's a big swing between playing in a game that nobody outside of our two fanbases will care about....to a game that could draw quite a bit more attention.

Wow. That Dec. 17th date for the Fenway bowl is a terrible date. Especially for a Power 5 conference.
The Las Vegas Bowl was moved to that weekend this year too. And that bowl is now a second-tier bowl for PAC 12 (and the SEC and B1G in alternating years).

This is another result of more NFL games moving into the traditional bowl time slots.

It is. If you have the means to schlep over to NYC for an inner city game played against a lackluster opponent, have it.

It’d be nice to see Pinstripe and Detroit both disappear from potential bowls. I mean, what’s the point? Must be something beyond my smooth brained comprehension. I don know that I won’t be spending any time or dough on the gophs if they are in the pinstripe.
I’m not convinced playing Syracuse is all that different from playing Kentucky tbh

The temp thing is for sure.
If you don’t like the city it’s for sure

Well first of all, the B1G signed a contract to provide a team for this bowl. They cant just decide "we dont like your bowl" halfway through that contract.

Second, the B1G wants bowl games for every eligible team. They signed this contract because middling B1G teams need bowl games. What are you replacing it with?

And finally, why would the B1G leave a bowl in NYC anyway? The NYC TV market is the entire reason Rutgers is in the B1G. The B1G held a basketball championship there. I'd imagine the chance to keep the B1G on page 1 or 2 of the NYT sports section for a day or two in December is enormously apppealing to the B1G.

Really hoping for mayo.. Ill make that trip.. then I'm also going to chapel hill next year for that game... Would love to see my beloved gophers twice in the next year!!!

Well first of all, the B1G signed a contract to provide a team for this bowl. They cant just decide "we dont like your bowl" halfway through that contract.

Second, the B1G wants bowl games for every eligible team. They signed this contract because middling B1G teams need bowl games. What are you replacing it with?

And finally, why would the B1G leave a bowl in NYC anyway? The NYC TV market is the entire reason Rutgers is in the B1G. The B1G held a basketball championship there. I'd imagine the chance to keep the B1G on page 1 or 2 of the NYT sports section for a day or two in December is enormously apppealing to the B1G.
Agreed. There's nothing wrong with this bowl. It's not meant to be a match-up of ranked teams. If the bowl wants to move up in prestige, they can during negotiations and increase the payouts.

I do want to get rid of Detroit next go around with the loss of the ACC affiliation. Please bring some CA or TX locations back.

Yeah, I'm as bummed about it as anyone -- especially if the opponent is Syracuse -- but all signs point to NYC and have been for days, despite our hope springing eternal.

Contractually obligated.

Top Bottom