Bowl Game Projections?

Don’t think they put Maryland in pinstripe two years in a row.
So if they’re willing to send Maryland west flop them and Wisconsin.
If they aren’t flow them and either Mn or Iowa
You're right. Such an irrelevant bowl I didn't even realize they went last year.

Maryland in the Mayo
Iowa in Pinhead
Wisconsin in Guaranteed Rate

Thanks for the reference.

Damn. After reading that, it confirms what everyone else is saying here; that Minnesota is going to the Pinstripe. The only three teams that qualify for the Pinstripe are Minnesota, Purdue and Illinois. Maryland, Iowa and Wisconsin have been there and can't go.

The only way to go to a bowl better than the Pinstripe is for Purdue or Illinois to get bumped down to it.

The only other loophole is that the Pinstripe language says it's the "goal" to have 8 different teams in 8 years (7 different teams now), but it doesn't say "must". The difference between "goal" and "must" in legalize can be massive.
Contract was at least 6 distinct teams, so that’s satisfied. They could repeat a team, but it does seem likely that Pinstripe can have the team they want between Minnesota and Wisconsin. If they want us, I think that they’re getting us. If somehow they want Wisconsin, we could be pushed down in Mayo and Guaranteed Rate would be stuck with Maryland.

You're right. Such an irrelevant bowl I didn't even realize they went last year.

Maryland in the Mayo
Iowa in Pinhead
Wisconsin in Guaranteed Rate
People making way too big of a deal.
Other than game time temp there is no difference between all the bowls between Reliaquest and quicklane
Dukes, music city, pinstripe…they’re all the same game against a similar opponent.

Is playing Duke in the mayo bowl really that different than playing wake forest in the pinstripe? To me it’s the same unless you are going to the game

Last edited:

I am on Creative Charters email list and received a message yesterday that strongly implied the Pinhead Bowl was a done deal because of a contract that guaranteed the B1G would send eight different teams in eight years. When I got it, I thought it must have been announced, but obviously not yet, so there is still hope to avoid Yankee Stadium.

It would be nearly impossible to make that a guarantee with 14 teams in the conference.

It would be nearly impossible to make that a guarantee with 14 teams in the conference.
And it would be absolutely stupid to make that guarantee to your 6-7th biggest payout
And it would be absolutely ridiculous that creative charters is the only group to ever see or hear of this rule

Thanks for the reference.

Damn. After reading that, it confirms what everyone else is saying here; that Minnesota is going to the Pinstripe. The only three teams that qualify for the Pinstripe are Minnesota, Purdue and Illinois. Maryland, Iowa and Wisconsin have been there and can't go.

I wouldn't put too much faith in that if I were you. Purdue went to the Music City in 2018 and 2021. Considering the Music City Bowl was cancelled in 2020 and took an ACC team instead of a Big 10 one in 2019, that means Purdue represented the Big Ten in 2 consecutive opportunities. These guidelines aren't laws. They can be violated easily with the agreement of the parties.

I wouldn't put too much faith in that if I were you. Purdue went to the Music City in 2018 and 2021. Considering the Music City Bowl was cancelled in 2020 and took an ACC team instead of a Big 10 one in 2019, that means Purdue represented the Big Ten in 2 consecutive opportunities. These guidelines aren't laws. They can be violated easily with the agreement of the parties.
Correct
I actually heard from a poster in here that Maryland will be filling the Nashville bowl and the Charlotte bowl because of their huge fanbase making the trip

Yes, which is why I doubt these ideas have ever been implemented. People in decision making positions make up things as they go along and by the seat of their pants all of the time. Later they find out those things often don't work well. Sports is probably worst than most fields in this regard. It's not loaded with analytical thinkers. Look at all the dumb decisions made by the NCAA over time.

I am on Creative Charters email list and received a message yesterday that strongly implied the Pinhead Bowl was a done deal because of a contract that guaranteed the B1G would send eight different teams in eight years. When I got it, I thought it must have been announced, but obviously not yet, so there is still hope to avoid Yankee Stadium.
The fact that Erban thinks it’s the Pinstripe Bowl is the strongest evidence yet, that it won’t be.

Other than game time temp there is no difference between all the bowls between Reliaquest and quicklane
Dukes, music city, pinstripe…they’re all the same game against a similar opponent.

Is playing Duke in the mayo bowl really that different than playing wake forest in the pinstripe? To me it’s the same unless you are going to the game
Unless you live in Atlanta and can drive to Charlotte or Nashville 😀

It's funny how all over the place the projections are today. Nobody knows Jack IMO 😂 I've seen Minnesota everywhere from Tampa to NYC. Most interesting to me that may actually be plausible was Mayo vs FSU. An interesting spin I saw one place was the conference not filling the Guaranteed Rate and instead sending Maryland to the Quick Lane and Wisconsin to NYC. Thought that actually made sense given the travel for Maryland and fact they can't do NYC this year. I still think it's Gophers to Pinstripe but I feel a lot better about avoiding it today than yesterday.

Unless you live in Atlanta and can drive to Charlotte or Nashville 😀
I literally said unless you are going to the game.
For instance, I would actually prefer pinstripe as I will be at the game.

Those traveling from Mn would probably prefer not pinstripe because it’s colder. If you’re watching on TV it’s literally no different. The opponent could end up being more appealing in pinstripe than Charlotte.
I would personally rather see Syracuse than Duke so we won’t know what is the better game until after the placements are finalized

It's funny how all over the place the projections are today. Nobody knows Jack IMO 😂 I've seen Minnesota everywhere from Tampa to NYC. Most interesting to me that may actually be plausible was Mayo vs FSU. An interesting spin I saw one place was the conference not filling the Guaranteed Rate and instead sending Maryland to the Quick Lane and Wisconsin to NYC. Thought that actually made sense given the travel for Maryland and fact they can't do NYC this year. I still think it's Gophers to Pinstripe but I feel a lot better about avoiding it today than yesterday.
If it’s Florida state I’d rather see mayo
If mayo ends up Duke I’d rather Nashville or pinstripe

Do not know if it is a change, but Gopher Illustrated (or 247.com) sent out an updated Bowl Projection a little over an hour ago (takes into account the USC debacle) and they now have Gophers vs. Miss State in Outback (ReliaQuest). My biggest fear is that if TCU loses (down 8 with 6 minutes to go), they drop 2 spots and somehow Alabama edges into CFP.

Do not know if it is a change, but Gopher Illustrated (or 247.com) sent out an updated Bowl Projection a little over an hour ago (takes into account the USC debacle) and they now have Gophers vs. Miss State in Outback (ReliaQuest). My biggest fear is that if TCU loses (down 8 with 6 minutes to go), they drop 2 spots and somehow Alabama edges into CFP.

Don't think TCU falls out with a loss here.

Also....sporting news updated their projections. Minnesota vs. Mississippi State in the Music City Bowl.

Jerry Palm says Mayo Bowl vs FSU at this point. Charlotte is my expectation.
If you follow his picks you'd know that he seldom errors.

I've been assured that it's the Pinstripe Bowl by a source of hot air here on Gopherhole.

Athletic updated 5 min ago and still predicts Pinstripe vs Syracuse with Maryland in the Mayo. Palm updated his CBS projections an hour ago and stuck with Mayo vs FSU.

247 updated 4 hours ago and interestingly they have Minnesota in both the Pinstripe and Reliaquest, with Illinois in the Music City and Iowa on the Mayo. It's unorthodox, but I believe in PJ and the staff on a short turnaround 😂

The Gophers think it’s the Pinstripe per their travel inquiries for flights etc… we will see
Dang that sounds like inside info and it bums me out brother. Thanks for posting though. Aligns with the Traveling Gophers and Chip basically saying yesterday the Pinstripe is locked in.

Our players are going to the game.

Top Bottom