Bowl Game Projections?

I know Iowa hasn't been to the Music City, but they just lost half their skill positions from an already terrible offense and they have a worse record than Minnesota. I just don't see how they are perceived as a desirable pick this year.

Well, if a group of decision makers in Tennessee think about this the same way as you, then you're probably right but I doubt they're close followers of Iowa's season or roster dynamics. They're probably much more concerned about the SEC team that goes to the Music City.

Also, as we saw last season, entering the transfer portal is no guarantee that a player won't play in his current team's bowl. I remember watching U of Florida's bowl game last season and there were a couple of departing players in the portal who played in that bowl. Supposedly, 10 of the 13 Michigan State players who entered the portal last season were on hand for MSU's bowl against Pitt.

MSU portal players - Peach Bowl

Just gained another higher ranked bowl game than the Pinstripe. It would be incredibly disappointing to have two 7-5 teams jump us. Until that happens....I will maintain that it won't. I like the Reliaquest projection against Ole Miss.

Penn State, Purdue and Maryland technically jumped both the Gophers and Wisconsin last year (though I think both MN and WI preferred Arizona and Vegas to the hated Pinstripe). It was Penn State that screwed it all up last year, but this year they will likely be in the Rose so that shouldn't be a factor.

Purdue will be a five loss team so I don't think they are a lock for the Citrus like the West champ usually would be, though they will be the favorite.

In reality throw Purdue, Illinois, Iowa, Minnesota, and Maryland in a bucket this year and pick a name.

Wisconsin is a wild card. Who will be coaching them in the bowl game?

Just gained another higher ranked bowl game than the Pinstripe. It would be incredibly disappointing to have two 7-5 teams jump us. Until that happens....I will maintain that it won't. I like the Reliaquest projection against Ole Miss.

I don't care that much about whether we go to the Pinstripe or Mayo (although I would prefer the Mayo). I care much more about the opponent. I would rather play Pitt, NC State, or Duke than Syracuse. At this point, I don't see the Music City as very likely and I don't see why playing 7-5 Kentucky is any better than playing Pitt, NC State, or Duke.

I wouldn't be surprised if Illinois jumps up into the Citrus if Purdue gets smoked tonight. They've only been to one bowl game in the past seven years and the bowl committees might believe their fan base is hungry to travel.

Yea. Be ready. We’re going to get the Reliaquest bowl back and still get passed over to NY. It’s always where should we go minus 2.

Good news will be NY will be off the table. Either because we’ve been there or because we dump it next round.

I went to watch us play UNLV in Vegas. Still have a hangover and plugged ears from the pool and some sunburn. I would go to the Vegas bowl if we were there.
There was a solid contingent of 20k there for that, myself included

Yea. Be ready. We’re going to get the Reliaquest bowl back and still get passed over to NY. It’s always where should we go minus 2.

Good news will be NY will be off the table. Either because we’ve been there or because we dump it next round.

Not always. We received a better bowl than we deserved in 2014 (Capital One, currently Citrus). We received a pretty good bowl in 2016 (Holiday) considering we didn't beat anyone good in the regular season. We definitely were disrespected last season and I hope that doesn't happen two years in a row. I think our bowl opponent matters more than the bowl location.

Not always. We received a better bowl than we deserved in 2014 (Capital One, currently Citrus). We received a pretty good bowl in 2016 (Holiday) considering we didn't beat anyone good in the regular season. We definitely were disrespected last season and I hope that doesn't happen two years in a row. I think our bowl opponent matters more than the bowl location.

To fans sitting at home, I agree that opponent matters a lot. To the players and traveling fans, location matters a ton.

Penn State, Purdue and Maryland technically jumped both the Gophers and Wisconsin last year (though I think both MN and WI preferred Arizona and Vegas to the hated Pinstripe). It was Penn State that screwed it all up last year, but this year they will likely be in the Rose so that shouldn't be a factor.

Purdue will be a five loss team so I don't think they are a lock for the Citrus like the West champ usually would be, though they will be the favorite.

In reality throw Purdue, Illinois, Iowa, Minnesota, and Maryland in a bucket this year and pick a name.

I don't really count Maryland as jumping the Gophers last year. I believe that the Gophers were given the option between the Pinstripe and Guaranteed Rate Bowls last year after getting "jumped". Knowing that the Gophers took a lower ranked bowl to avoid the Pinstripe hopefully plays in our favor here. But really.....with the Reliaquest now still in play.....we'd have to get jumped by TWO 7-5 teams in order to be placed there.

Could it happen? Of course it could. Do I think the Big Ten would have the audacity to screw the Gophers for a second year in a row? I would be surprised.

I don't care that much about whether we go to the Pinstripe or Mayo (although I would prefer the Mayo). I care much more about the opponent. I would rather play Pitt, NC State, or Duke than Syracuse. At this point, I don't see the Music City as very likely and I don't see why playing 7-5 Kentucky is any better than playing Pitt, NC State, or Duke.

The Mayo Bowl in Charlotte is simply a better destination than NYC in the middle of winter. We'd likely play another team with at least an 8-4 record. Better timeslot...playing on the 30th (Friday) at noon rather than the 29th (Thursday) at two.

Also....CFN updated their projections. They have the Gophers in the Music City Bowl against Ole Miss. USC losing last night has shaken things up.

Do we really care if it’s the Dukes mayo bowl or the Pinstripe?? Those two seem to be where we belong, maybe the Music City Bowl but does it really matter?? I just can’t wait to see Athan again and show what we have to look forward to.
Exactly. More so much energy goes into what lower tier bowl game the gophers are playing in. Honestly not that much difference

Do we really care if it’s the Dukes mayo bowl or the Pinstripe?? Those two seem to be where we belong, maybe the Music City Bowl but does it really matter?? I just can’t wait to see Athan again and show what we have to look forward to.

I think all Gopher fans are looking forward to the game regardless. I think most would also rather see the Gophers play in a better bowl against an interesting opponent. I don't think the Pinstripe will give us that.

Guys...it's already done. We're going to NYC regardless. The B1G doesn't care about us and only wants to protect the bigger brand name teams.
It literally isn’t already done

maryland has clearly the worse resume of those 5
Worst conference record, worst overall record
Not a single win against any of the others in the bucket.
0-1 vs Wisconsin

I think all Gopher fans are looking forward to the game regardless. I think most would also rather see the Gophers play in a better bowl against an interesting opponent. I don't think the Pinstripe will give us that.
I don’t think there is much difference in bowl games in terms of opponents.

Much the way there are 5 big ten teams who are all similar, Syracuse, Louisville, wake forest, Pitt, Duke are all pretty much the same
And those teams are all the same as Kentucky, Arkansas, and Florida as well.

Florida state or one of the Mississippi would be a very slight step up. But not really. mississippi state the best of those 3 IMO

Thanks for the reference.

Damn. After reading that, it confirms what everyone else is saying here; that Minnesota is going to the Pinstripe. The only three teams that qualify for the Pinstripe are Minnesota, Purdue and Illinois. Maryland, Iowa and Wisconsin have been there and can't go.

The only way to go to a bowl better than the Pinstripe is for Purdue or Illinois to get bumped down to it.

The only other loophole is that the Pinstripe language says it's the "goal" to have 8 different teams in 8 years (7 different teams now), but it doesn't say "must". The difference between "goal" and "must" in legalize can be massive.

Location 100% matters. To the players. To the fans who will or may travel. You can’t overcome a travel stigma by getting sent to passed over bowls year over year. WI is lucky they went from crap to Rose Bowl in 93.

An outdoor cold bowl is BS all around. A bowl in a baseball stadium is BS all around. Those two things combined are ridiculous. Getting sent to a baseball field two years in a row is unjustifiable.

Fenway is a historic stadium, you shouldn’t play football there. Yankee stadium is whatever and you really shouldn’t play football there. The B1G needs to drop this bowl.

only 3 bigten teams differentiated themselves and two appear to be going to the CFP then PSU to the Rose Bowl. Wouldn't everything else be up for grabs amongst the remainder of the teams that are bunched together? Add to that Purdue will be 8-5.

So I think that means the Gophers to the Quick Lane bowl somehow, even though there aren't enough bigten teams bowl eligible

seriously, still thinking the gophers have a chance to play in FL

I am on Creative Charters email list and received a message yesterday that strongly implied the Pinhead Bowl was a done deal because of a contract that guaranteed the B1G would send eight different teams in eight years. When I got it, I thought it must have been announced, but obviously not yet, so there is still hope to avoid Yankee Stadium.

I am on Creative Charters email list and received a message yesterday that strongly implied the Pinhead Bowl was a done deal because of a contract that guaranteed the B1G would send eight different teams in eight years. When I got it, I thought it must have been announced, but obviously not yet, so there is still hope to avoid Yankee Stadium.

Pinhead Bowl. I like that.

Gross. If that's true then I don't see how the Gophers avoid it. Purdue and Illinois are the only others who haven't been there, but I think we are behind both in the pecking order.

Gross. If that's true then I don't see how the Gophers avoid it. Purdue and Illinois are the only others who haven't been there, but I think we are behind both in the pecking order.
Unfortunately, yes.

I see Mo and Schmitz opting out of the Pinhead Bowl. Maybe Filiaga if he has a chance for the NFL? Maybe T. Smith too.

How I see it now that USC lost:

Michigan, OSU in the CFP
PSU in Rose vs Utah
Illinois in the Citrus
Purdue in Tampa
Minnesota in MC
Iowa Maryland in Charlotte
Maryland Iowa in Pinhead
Wisconsin in Guaranteed Rate.

Last edited:

Michigan, OSU in the CFP
PSU in Rose vs Utah
Illinois in the Citrus
Purdue in Tampa
Minnesota in MC
Iowa in Charlotte
Maryland in Pinhead
Don’t think they put Maryland in pinstripe two years in a row.
So if they’re willing to send Maryland west flop them and Wisconsin.
If they aren’t flow them and either Mn or Iowa

The most logical answer is send Maryland west (they lost to Wisconsin) and if they aren’t it was stupid to let them in the conference. If we are a “national” conference but unwilling to send one of the teams to Arizona because they’re a strictly “east coast” team it is pretty stupid

Michigan, OSU in the CFP
PSU in Rose vs Utah
Illinois in the Citrus
Purdue in Tampa
Minnesota in MC
Iowa in Charlotte
Maryland in Pinhead
I thought Maryland can’t go to pinstripe twice in a row?

Michigan, OSU in the CFP
PSU in Rose vs Utah
Illinois in the Citrus
Purdue in Tampa
Minnesota in MC
Iowa in Charlotte
Maryland in Pinhead

Maryland can't play in the Pinstripe, they were there last year.

Top Bottom