AWeb's Draft Status

The last Gopher QB to be drafted was Mike Jones in 76. He was a 10th round pick and didn't play a down of NFL football, as far as I know.

1977- Mike Jones 10th round
1971- Craig Curry 8th round
1967- Bob Lee 17th round (6 NFL Games played as a WR)
1964- John Hankinson 8th round
1961- Sandy Stephens 2nd round (never played a down of NFL/AFL football
1956- Bobby Cox 4th round (never played pro)
1944- Bill Garness 6th round (played two seasons of pro ball)

Corey Sauter plaed a game for the Bears.

Foggie, Cupito,Dungey and Cockerham never did much as QBs after College.

We're not exactly known as QB U.

While Weber will end his career as the most prolific passer in Gopher history, it's not like he had much competition.[/QUOT

No competition? Look at the list.

I like how the posts just stopped around 330pm when everyone is going home from work. Everyone on here needs to get a life All of you on here that say Webs is a terrible Qb are retarded. I assume most to all of you who post on here are fat guys who couldt even make your own middle school and are sad about it so you have to rip on someone else to make yourself feel better. Maybe you guys should stop sitting on gopherhole all day and actually do something at your pathetic 9-5 job. Making an Nfl team or practice squad means you suck i guess?

I sure as hell can make my own middle school. I'm about finished as I type this post. The name of my school will be Ballard Middle School. I've even got a slogan. Ballard Middle School: Where young minds are shaped to brown nose mediocre QBs.

Lessons/classes considered for the curriculum include the following:

A. Internet Tough Guy 101

Because you never know when you'll need to act like an internet tough guy for whatever mediocre QB you want to brown nose.

B. Stats are for losers (advanced)

Because when your mediocre QB is just plain ineffective, you are going to need to manipulate stats.

C. Padding the stats (advanced-complimentary)

Because you'll need nice big numbers you'll gladly accept any and all stats to support the QB you've chosen to brown nose. Who cares if X number of TDs were thrown while behind by more than two scores to a lesser conference team.

D. History and your QB

Because you'll need to stack your QB up against your team's history at the position to make you look less pathetic as a rampant rah rah Rudy brown noser. (Please note, this class is not available for students that plan to go to a University or College with a history of good QB play)

No competition? Look at the list.

Are you going to answer other peoples questions directed at you? Man up. Do you seriously think Weber will "play" in the NFL outside of just being an extra arm during camp and maybe getting some playing time at the end of a preseason game or two?

See Texas' recent national title team. I just want to know what you'd call it. People talk about Vince Young as if he never threw the football, when in all actuality he did with great success. He was among the best in passing efficiency as well as being a 1,000 yard rusher.

I thought Texas is the shining example right now of putting in a non-running QB in a spread option scheme. They are struggling to run their offense when nobody is worried about their QB running much (outside of Nebraska of course).

However they may be the shining example of how not to get a RB involved in their offense. I don't watch them much anymore to know what is going on.

I thought Texas is the shining example right now of putting in a non-running QB in a spread option scheme. They are struggling to run their offense when nobody is worried about their QB running much (outside of Nebraska of course).

However they may be the shining example of how not to get a RB involved in their offense. I don't watch them much anymore to know what is going on.

We don't run much of an "option scheme". We run more of a crap scheme. As in, our offensive coordinator is crap.

Please offer Greg Davis the job as Minnesota's head coach. Please?

Hopefully things with regards to the RBs not being involved change when we Malcolm Brown gets on campus. Right now we've got a bunch of guys that can't stay healthy and an offensive coordinator that doesn't know what the hell to do with the ones that are. We've got a RB on the team averaging over 10 yards per carry. You know how many times he got the ball against Iowa State? Once.

If any Gopher fans want to start a movement to hire Greg Davis, I believe HireGregDavis.com is an available web address.

This is how important hiring is. The loyalty coaches have to their staff is normal. Coaches like Brown try to bring their staff with them as they move from one place to the other, and they aren't willing to throw them under the bus.

Is a Leach going to be able to obtain a quality D-Coordinator with the recent allegations attached to him? If he ends up hiring someone not able to get the job done, he also doesn't seem like someone who is going to let them go for someone else.

If he ends up hiring someone not able to get the job done, he also doesn't seem like someone who is going to let them go for someone else.

He fired his defensive coordinator mid-season after getting torched by someone (Oklahoma St.? - I can't find the article right now.) The interesting angle to this was that the DC was the guy who gave him his initial job in coaching. So, it's obvious that he won't let personal allegiance override performance.

EDIT: Found article: http://myespn.go.com/s/conversations/show/story/3033530

Setencich hired Leach in 1987 at Cal Poly for his first-ever coaching job. Leach then fired Setencich as his DC 20 years later.

The only thing I found was that he stepped down for personal reasons and never got another job. It was hard to tell if he was fired nicely or he really had personal reasons which is preventing him from working again.

The only thing I found was that he stepped down for personal reasons and never got another job. It was hard to tell if he was fired nicely or he really had personal reasons which is preventing him from working again.

I read somewhere else (don't remember where) that he was skating on thin ice with Leach even before the Oklahoma St. game, and that it was definitely a "firing couched as a resignation". I have no idea whether it's actually true, but that's what I read.

Weber is as good as the team he plays on, the quality of the receivers and offensive line, the quality of field position to start a series and what the defense can do to limit the opponents scoring. Having played on teams that could not provide anything in regards to all of the above, he managed to be top five in the Big ten in passing yardage. Not to mention, three sets of coaches. He will play in the NFL.

Just one problem with this. He does not consistently throw the ball where he wants it to go. Either that or he wants it to go to the wrong place. Guess I'll opt for the former. Anyway, not many high school teams will let a QB throw the ball under these circumstances. Again, statistics mean little when they're compiled by virtue of longevity and playing style. Oh, not to mention a guy like Decker bailing him out time after time and his current receivers becoming adept at acrobatics. But to me the biggest thing that will kill any thoughts of Weber playing beyond the U? His weaknesses show up at the most inopportune moments and have the effect of killing his team's chances to win.

His best year was his sophomore year, but he's a .500 passer now and doesn't do well when the pocket collapses. Hard to see the NFL taking much interest as QB.

Just one problem with this. He does not consistently throw the ball where he wants it to go. Either that or he wants it to go to the wrong place. Guess I'll opt for the former. Anyway, not many high school teams will let a QB throw the ball under these circumstances. Again, statistics mean little when they're compiled by virtue of longevity and playing style. Oh, not to mention a guy like Decker bailing him out time after time and his current receivers becoming adept at acrobatics. But to me the biggest thing that will kill any thoughts of Weber playing beyond the U? His weaknesses show up at the most inopportune moments and have the effect of killing his team's chances to win.

Funny you should mention Decker. For the three years he played with Decker, Weber pretty much always looked at Decker and Decker alone. Eric is good, but you might want to mix it up a bit.

I'm the only one who seems to mention it, but I can't believe no one else notices it. If you take away Weber's first read, the happy feet start going and the ball flies every which way. I think his arm is strong enough, but his mechanics are shaky and he can't click through his reads smoothly. About the only guy Weber ever seems to hit in stride is Lair. McKnight and Gray, like Decker before them, always seem to be making an acrobatic catch over a DB.

Top Bottom