AWeb's Draft Status

No, he is not a bad quarterback. Stats don't tell everything, but you don't pass for 10,000 yards by being a bad quarterback. You don't have the highest completion percentage in school history by being a bad QB. I doubt Weber will be drafted, only a small number of quarterbacks do get drafted. No one is saying that Weber is a fantastic QB. But he's not a bad QB.

I'd call him average.

Good quarterbacks can change the outcome of games. Example, If Weber was a Badger and Tolzien was a Gopher would either of these teams have different outcomes this year, probably not. Good Quarterbacks make players around them better, average quarterbacks are unable to elevate the level of play of their teammates.

No, he is not a bad quarterback. Stats don't tell everything, but you don't pass for 10,000 yards by being a bad quarterback. You don't have the highest completion percentage in school history by being a bad QB. I doubt Weber will be drafted, only a small number of quarterbacks do get drafted. No one is saying that Weber is a fantastic QB. But he's not a bad QB.

Yes, he is a bad QB.

You are correct in saying that stats do not tell everything. Thank you for destroying your own argument.

Many people thought he had promise his freshman year, however, what everybody seems to forget is that Minnesota was behind a majority of the time in a majority of those games. There were plenty of garbage time yards back in 2007, just as there have been this year.

For a career he is a below average QB. He played a great 5-6 game stretch at the beginning of his sophomore year that makes me say he is not a bad QB. He was bad as a freshman (19 INTs) but he showed potential. He looked very solid for about half of his sophomore year. The second half of his sophomore year and his junior year he was awful. He has been playing better this year compared to his Jr. year, but that isn't saying much.
For this season he is probably a below average QB.

I will say he is probably the worst 4 year starting QB in the history of the Big Ten (top of a short list).
I will also say he is probably going to break the record for the most losses by a starting QB in NCAA history if he is the starting QB for the remainder of the season.

Doesn't Brewster have something to do with those losses?

Yes Brewster does. So do the players, which last time I checked included Adam Weber starting at the most important position on the team.

Weber also hasn't lead a flawless offense or been able to make crucial plays in tight games throughout his career. He isn't the biggest problem on this team, but I feel that he had a chance to win against USD. The defense played well enough to win against Purdue, but the offense couldn't do a single thing in the first half.

I hate how Weber can't make clutch plays early in games on offense. Between you and I, I hate what he can't do that he is asked to do and you hate to put any amount of realistic criticism on him.

I'm fine with realistic criticism, I'm just waiting to see some.

I'll ask you then what are you realistic criticisms of Weber?

I hate it that Weber doesn't tackle on defense.

I hate it that Weber led what was possibly the worst offense in the BCS conferences his Jr year as a 3rd year starter. This year it is more on the defense, but he has still been outplayed by every opposing QB. He is low in the conference in terms of efficiency. His Jr. Year he led the most anemic offense in the Big Ten. The second half of his sophomore year the team falling apart was directly correlated to Decker's injury and Adam weber playing poorly after it. His freshman year, the 1-11 record may have had something to do with losing 19 interceptions. During his freshman year, in games decided by 7 pts the gophers were 1-6. In those games Weber through 14 interceptions. In the 6 losses, he threw 13 interceptions. Not all of the losing has been on Weber, but some of it definitely has been.

He is inaccurate, he is turnover prone, and he is the anti-clutch.
In games decided by 7 pts or less in his career, his team is 7-13 and he has thrown 21 interceptions. That doesn't include fumbles lost. That doesn't include the interceptions he has thrown that have made 7 point games become more than 7 points. Guy has thrown 49 Ints in his career. For his career he has as many games with 0 interceptions than he has games with multiple interceptions (12) as he has games with multiple interceptions (12).
47 of his touchdowns have come in losing efforts, 21 have come in winning efforts.

He will play in the NFL.

Are you talking making a roster and actually playing during the season, or racking up meaningless stats against some other team's third string defense in a preseason game or two? Because there's no way he'll "play" in the NFL during the regular season. But I could definitely see him racking up meaningless stats against some scrubs in a preseason game. He's got a wealth of experience at producing when it doesn't matter.

False.

The most recent #1 overall pick was a spread QB. And, also, in the 2010 class alone: Tim Tebow, Tony Pike, Mike Kafka, Zac Robinson, and Sean Canfield.

Colt McCoy...

and then there was that Vince Young guy too.

I hate it that Weber doesn't tackle on defense.

I hate it when people can't admit to the supreme importance of the QB position and tend to deflect with asinine phrases questioning the QB's ability to play defense or tackle.

Weber is mediocre, at best. That is most people's definition of a bad QB. If you aren't a QB, you are a bad one. The position is too important for "average" or "mediocre" to be acceptable.

RodentRampage you must be working on quite the list of criticisms for Mr. Weber.

Colt McCoy...

and then there was that Vince Young guy too.

I haven't watched enough Texas to determine for myself whether they're really a spread team or not, but I'll take your word for it that they are.

The word spread is getting tossed around a lot. There is a difference between your QB basically being an option QB in shotgun, and a throwing QB in shotgun.

The word spread is getting tossed around a lot. There is a difference between your QB basically being an option QB in shotgun, and a throwing QB in shotgun.

The spread is the most diverse offense there is. If you have Vince Young, you can run read option every play. If you have Colt McCoy, you can toss it around 50 times a game. The best thing about the spread is that you can test the defense in any direction. In college football, with wide hashes and teams that aren't all filled with all pro linebackers, testing the field vertically and horizontally is a recipe for success. You can make major differences to what kind of team you are by merely changing the playcalls and not the schemes. You can easily adjust to your players strengths. Look at Michigans playcalling when they are playing Forcier instead of Denard Robinson, completely different.

While the term spread is used very to describe a wide range of offenses the common theme is that they attempt to spread out the defense. However didn't Dunbar subscribe to a very specific version of the spread? Unlike Programs like Texas, Ohio State, and others who seem to focus on spreading out the defense and running plays that then suited to their players strengths.

While the term spread is used very to describe a wide range of offenses the common theme is that they attempt to spread out the defense. However didn't Dunbar subscribe to a very specific version of the spread? Unlike Programs like Texas, Ohio State, and others who seem to focus on spreading out the defense and running plays that then suited to their players strengths.

Dunbar ran what he called the "spread coast"
Tons of bubble and tunnel screens (which led to Webers high completion percentages his freshman and sophomore years). I think part of Brewsters beef with Dunbar was Dunbar's unwillingness to adjust his schemes. Tedford and California were not sorry to lose Dunbar for the same reason. Dunbar was unwilling to adjust his schemes and playcalling to his people. The spread is meant to be flexible enough to emphasize your strengths and exploit the defenses weaknesses. Dubar has bounced around a ton since he was relieved of his duty's at Northern Iowa. His unwillingness to change up what he does is probably something that has caused this. He is now the OC at New Mexico State I think.

Dunbar ran what he called the "spread coast"
Tons of bubble and tunnel screens (which led to Webers high completion percentages his freshman and sophomore years). I think part of Brewsters beef with Dunbar was Dunbar's unwillingness to adjust his schemes. Tedford and California were not sorry to lose Dunbar for the same reason. Dunbar was unwilling to adjust his schemes and playcalling to his people. The spread is meant to be flexible enough to emphasize your strengths and exploit the defenses weaknesses. Dubar has bounced around a ton since he was relieved of his duty's at Northern Iowa. His unwillingness to change up what he does is probably something that has caused this. He is now the OC at New Mexico State I think.

Thanks, you stated my point more clearly than I could.

So would a 3,000 yard passer and 1,000 rusher in a single season out of the shotgun be defined as a spread QB by yourself, or what exactly would you call that?

The spread is the most diverse offense there is. If you have Vince Young, you can run read option every play. If you have Colt McCoy, you can toss it around 50 times a game. The best thing about the spread is that you can test the defense in any direction. In college football, with wide hashes and teams that aren't all filled with all pro linebackers, testing the field vertically and horizontally is a recipe for success. You can make major differences to what kind of team you are by merely changing the playcalls and not the schemes. You can easily adjust to your players strengths. Look at Michigans playcalling when they are playing Forcier instead of Denard Robinson, completely different.

So what do we think about Gray running a spread offense?

So would a 3,000 yard passer and 1,000 rusher in a single season out of the shotgun be defined as a spread QB by yourself, or what exactly would you call that?

In general most people identify the version of spread the team run by their base play. I imagine a QB can amass a bunch of yards running without being an option QB. I'd have to see the offense the person is running in.

This was discussed earlier in this thread.

In general most people identify the version of spread the team run by their base play. I imagine a QB can amass a bunch of yards running without being an option QB. I'd have to see the offense the person is running in.

See Texas' recent national title team. I just want to know what you'd call it. People talk about Vince Young as if he never threw the football, when in all actuality he did with great success. He was among the best in passing efficiency as well as being a 1,000 yard rusher.

I'm not sure what the point of you pointing out how varied different versions of the spread can be is, but anyways... back to Weber being mediocre.

Tolzien is better than Weber. Weber may have the stronger arm (let me stress the "may"), but Tolzien's mechanics are much better and he makes his reads more quickly.

Rosemountian, good post on Dunbar. There are a lot of different spreads and they are usually tweaked to the personnel available. Whoever did the Young/McCoy comparison shows how that goes.

So what do we think about Gray running a spread offense?

Haven't seen enough of him to know if he can make reads in the run game or in the pass game. The QB position is going to be a MAJOR problem next year if he can't. I have seen Alipate play, and he is NOT the answer.

I like how the posts just stopped around 330pm when everyone is going home from work. Everyone on here needs to get a life All of you on here that say Webs is a terrible Qb are retarded. I assume most to all of you who post on here are fat guys who couldt even make your own middle school and are sad about it so you have to rip on someone else to make yourself feel better. Maybe you guys should stop sitting on gopherhole all day and actually do something at your pathetic 9-5 job. Making an Nfl team or practice squad means you suck i guess?

Ease up there tough guy, it's the internet, it's a sports message board, and our team is 1-7. This stuff is bound to be said.

Now where's my XXL Chalupa? It must've fallen under the MASSIVE PILE OF UNFINISHED WORK on my desk. Om nom nom.

Top Bottom