AWeb's Draft Status

I love how these Weber Myth Engineers who believe Weber is the worst QB ever are ignoring the fact this article mentions he'll get a look by the NFL.

And then we'll find out. Was he really this bad or was the coaching that inept?

Weber may have the physical tools to play at the next level but he's afraid to get hit. Unless they completely eliminate hitting the QB in the NFL. Weber will not be on an active roster during the regular season.

Weber has the highest completion percentage of any Gophers QB. I'll stick with the facts, and ignore delusions. I'm not saying that he is a great QB, I'd be surprised if he makes the NFL, each year only a few college QBs make the NFL. But he's not the awful QB that some here keep saying. I remember one game when someone claimed that Weber overthrew the receiver 10 times - Weber only had 9 incompletions the whole game.

I ran into a scout, Kevin Simon, who works for the Dallas Cowboys at the airport in Charlotte and talked with him a little about Brew and Weber. I saw him as an outsider and probably more objective than the public statements we've heard from the Vikings.

He said, believe it or not, Brew had a good reputation with most NFL teams. Simon also played for Phil Fulmer at Tennessee and said he couldn't see his old coach coming so far north... but who knows?

As for Weber--- Simon was impressed by his arm strength but said he was probably too erratic to see any real interest from the NFL.

Just one scout's opinion, but I thought it was interesting.

Why should we be surprised that Brewster has a good reputation in the NFL? He was a well-regarded tight ends coach, he could presumably go right back to that.

The stinking, corrupt, greedy and misanthropic nfl players AND...

owners will probably be shutting down their season in 2011 because they can't decide how their six billion in profits will be split. They will lock out, strike out, fail to compromise and say nasty things about each other (that will probably ALL be true) all in the name of greed.

So, near term talk about the nfl should all be gloom and doom any way. Probably very few of the draftees and free agents will get much of a chance from the nfl for the 2011 season, Mr. Weber included. Fortunately, he is a student and has made the most of his U of M educational opportynities. Probably a lot of college football players who think they will be drafted haven't done that.

Disagree...he likes the physical part of the game too much.

He likes to take initiate contact while running for positive yardage, but in my opinion is very scared to get hit while in the pocket. He has no patience to set up a screen play and almost always delivers a quick hard pass as to avoid being contacted by a defender.

Like most human beings he likes giving a hit, but not taking one. I wish he would stand a little tougher in the pocket, but I wasn't the one assaulted repeatedly in his first couple of seasons.

How did previous Gopher QB's do in the draft?

The last Gopher QB to be drafted was Mike Jones in 76. He was a 10th round pick and didn't play a down of NFL football, as far as I know.

1977- Mike Jones 10th round
1971- Craig Curry 8th round
1967- Bob Lee 17th round (6 NFL Games played as a WR)
1964- John Hankinson 8th round
1961- Sandy Stephens 2nd round (never played a down of NFL/AFL football
1956- Bobby Cox 4th round (never played pro)
1944- Bill Garness 6th round (played two seasons of pro ball)

Corey Sauter plaed a game for the Bears.

Foggie, Cupito,Dungey and Cockerham never did much as QBs after College.

We're not exactly known as QB U.

While Weber will end his career as the most prolific passer in Gopher history, it's not like he had much competition.

owners will probably be shutting down their season in 2011 because they can't decide how their six billion in profits will be split. They will lock out, strike out, fail to compromise and say nasty things about each other (that will probably ALL be true) all in the name of greed.

So, near term talk about the nfl should all be gloom and doom any way. Probably very few of the draftees and free agents will get much of a chance from the nfl for the 2011 season, Mr. Weber included. Fortunately, he is a student and has made the most of his U of M educational opportynities. Probably a lot of college football players who think they will be drafted haven't done that.

Who else can conspire against Mr. Weber? Or since Brew is an NFL guy has it been all the NFL from the Start? The NFL will still have a draft, the same amount of players will still get in the league. The only thing that will change for the players drafted in 2011 is the amount of money that first round picks will make.

The last Gopher QB to be drafted was Mike Jones in 76. He was a 10th round pick and didn't play a down of NFL football, as far as I know.

1977- Mike Jones 10th round
1971- Craig Curry 8th round
1967- Bob Lee 17th round (6 NFL Games played as a WR)
1964- John Hankinson 8th round
1961- Sandy Stephens 2nd round (never played a down of NFL/AFL football
1956- Bobby Cox 4th round (never played pro)
1944- Bill Garness 6th round (played two seasons of pro ball)

Corey Sauter plaed a game for the Bears.

Foggie, Cupito,Dungey and Cockerham never did much as QBs after College.

We're not exactly known as QB U.

While Weber will end his career as the most prolific passer in Gopher history, it's not like he had much competition.

So that would make Weber the best of the lousiest, not the lousiest of the best? :)

And then we'll find out. Was he really this bad or was the coaching that inept?

I don't know what we'll find out by this thread. The article is just an opinion. Just like the other million on this board. However, the comical part is that the Weber Myth Engineers have thrown their hat in the ring that Intramural QB's, high school QB's, jr. high QB's and so on can play better then Weber.

It must just drive their little fingers bonkers as they are hammering on their keys trying to justify their myths to dispel this opinion.

How did previous Gopher QB's do in the draft?

1957, Bobby Cox, Rams, 4th round, pick #38
1965, John Hankinson, Vikings, 8th round, pick #100
1972, Craig Curry, Miami, 8th rount, pick #207

That's what the media guide says at least. Someone posted other names, but the media guide has them under other positions. The point is that not being drafted doesn't mean they were bad.

I wish we would have stayed with the spread the whole time...

But in relation to Weber, it would have hurt him. Spread QBs rarely get drafted. That's why Pryor didn't want to go to Michigan. He was smart enough to see that he is much better off playing in a pro-style offense, even though he would have been a great spread QB. I mean, ok Tebow got drafted, but that's the exception, not the norm. Look at Mike Leach's QBs...they don't make it in NFL. Graham Harrel got what, a one week tryout at Cleveland's May minicamp?

I guess my point is that if we stayed with the spread, no one would touch Weber in the draft. At least now he has some familiarity with a pro offense.

I haven't seen the power I in 25 years.

Wait, does Navy line up in it sometimes?

Weber is as good as the team he plays on, the quality of the receivers and offensive line, the quality of field position to start a series and what the defense can do to limit the opponents scoring. Having played on teams that could not provide anything in regards to all of the above, he managed to be top five in the Big ten in passing yardage. Not to mention, three sets of coaches. He will play in the NFL.

"He will play in the NFL." Can we hold you to that comment, or will you conveniently forget you made it when he's serving fries next year. Whoopi, he's top 5 in passing yards. What do you expect when you run the spread for half of your career and are almost always trailing in games (meaning you pass alot)?

You can't have your cake and eat it too. If we had a better defense or better starting field position he'd have less passing yards. But then you'd find something else to prop him up about. Was Jay Cutler's Vanderbilt team that lost all those games any better than this Gophers team? Yet he was regarded as a great QB. So no, it doesn't depend on who's around you. If you're good, you're good. Weber isn't.

So that would make Weber the best of the lousiest, not the lousiest of the best? :)

Pretty much, to quote Common.

It is pretty sad that we've never had a QB good enough to make any impact on an NFL team.

OK, WR hasn't really been a strong point either but RBs have done OK and OL.

Spread QBs rarely get drafted.

Really? Another myth. Also many people have no idea what they are talking about when just throw out the term "the spread." There are now several different version of the spread in college football. The spread option, see: Michigan, Oregon & Utah. the spread coast, see: NW. The old school run'n'shoot, see: Houston and Mike Leach. A hybrid: See Texas and Oklahoma. The list of examples go on and on. Look at Auburn this year.

You cannot lump all spread QB's in college together. There are now so many versions out there that you have to look at each time and analyze the philosophy the use within the spread.

Heck, Pat White was a spread option QB under DickRod at West Virginia and he was drafted in the 2nd round.

1957, Bobby Cox, Rams, 4th round, pick #38
1965, John Hankinson, Vikings, 8th round, pick #100
1972, Craig Curry, Miami, 8th rount, pick #207

That's what the media guide says at least. Someone posted other names, but the media guide has them under other positions. The point is that not being drafted doesn't mean they were bad.

No it doesn't mean they were bad, but it means they were not good to great. It means they were average. It says a lot that the last QB drafted was 30+ years ago.

Spread, Pro Set, Wishbone, Wing T...it does not matter what happened at Minnesota. AWeb will not play in the NFL. Just too innaccurate.

For all the garbage thrown at Weber on this board, his college career is marked by all the continued turnover on the coaching staff. Pretty hard to develop when guys like Fitch were messing with his head. It would have been interesting seeing how he would have been if Dunbar stayed the whole time or if he went to a school with a more stable coaching staff situation.

No it doesn't mean they were bad, but it means they were not good to great. It means they were average. It says a lot that the last QB drafted was 30+ years ago.

Going back to 2000, the most QBs taken in the draft has been 17 in 2004. Most years it has been more like 11 or 12. There are a lot of good college quarterbacks that don't get drafted, because there are few NFL openings.

Going back to 2000, the most QBs taken in the draft has been 17 in 2004. Most years it has been more like 11 or 12. There are a lot of good college quarterbacks that don't get drafted, because there are few NFL openings.

We just have different definitions of good and average I guess.

Spread QBs rarely get drafted. That's why Pryor didn't want to go to Michigan.

Pryor is playing in the spread at Ohio State.
Your incorrect statement is that spread QBs rarely get drafted. Heck, Pat White was drafted.

A correct statement would be that below average to bad QBs never get drafted. Which is exactly what Weber is.
People can make all kinds of excuses or rationalize how it is not his fault that he is a bad QB (And it probably isn't completely his lack of talent that makes him a bad QB), but in the end, he is what he is for whatever reason. And what he is is a guy who is a below average QB at best. I know that the guy I am responding to has already expressed this opinion. Him being drafted or not drafted has nothing to do with the current system he is playing in. It is 100% dependent on the fact that he is a poor QB.

Adam Weber and draft status in the same sentence is an oxymoron if I've ever seen one. Weber came in as a freshman and showed enough promise where some people thought he would have a chance to be a late round pick if he continued to develop...he never did. People act as if he regressed, he had a bad Jr. year, but he didn't really regress. He more just failed to progress. He is the same football player now that he was as a freshman.

No, he is not a bad quarterback. Stats don't tell everything, but you don't pass for 10,000 yards by being a bad quarterback. You don't have the highest completion percentage in school history by being a bad QB. I doubt Weber will be drafted, only a small number of quarterbacks do get drafted. No one is saying that Weber is a fantastic QB. But he's not a bad QB.

Top Bottom