AWeb's Draft Status

Sparlimb

Reaction score
From Shama's website...

A pro scout told Sports Headliners Gophers senior quarterback Adam Weber has “regressed” during his career at Minnesota. Weber, he said, is too inconsistent to be drafted in the early or mid rounds by an NFL team, and likely will be pursued as a free agent.

No surprise to me. I wouldn't be surprised if he got invited to someone's camp, but I doubt he has any chance to make a practice squad.

How come everybody else can see Weber has gotten worse except some of our own delusional fans?

He had promise as a freshman. He hasn't gotten any better, he has gotten worse. He has every passing record though, so he is probably a Day 1 pick, right?

How come everybody else can see Weber has gotten worse except some of our own delusional fans?

Most of these same delusional fans still support Brewster as our coach. OH! Wait, he was fired.

No, no, no, it's our fault, not theirs. But for us Weber Myth Engineers Weber would be a 2nd round draft pick.

I don't know if Weber was ever good enough to be drafted in the first 4 rounds...even on his best day. He certainly has the measurables (Height, strength, speed and arm strength) but Fisch was right...his passing motion makes him inconsistent.

That said, he had no chance of ever really developing into a top tier big ten QB as long while playing for 5 different OCs in 5 years and running 3 very different systems....Spread, Pro and Power I.

I wish we would have stayed with the spread the whole time...Brew screwed Weber and all of us...Thanks Joel Maturi for being a royal dbag!

He'll get a look as a free agent. He regressed because he was truly built for the Dunbar spread. Easy reads and lots of opportunities to run at will (which Weber seems to want to do almost instinctively). His mechanics aren't good (at least Jedd Fisch was right about something) and he doesn't progress through his checkdowns very smoothly. But he is a good athlete and someone will take a look at him.

If they can iron out his mechanics at the next level, he could hold a clipboard on an NFL sideline for a few seasons. I mean, Todd Bouman started for the Jags the other day.

He throws way too over the top. Makes it difficult to get the height of his throws consistent. And what do you know that's his biggest problem.

Maybe I missed it, but I don't remember anyone ever writing that Weber has gotten better. What I do remember is that Weber hasn't been the problem this year. With last year's defense, we would be above .500!

The first couple of seasons he played I thought he could become a mid round type of draft pick. Since then, I'm not sure he'll make any team and certainly will not be drafted.

Weber is as good as the team he plays on, the quality of the receivers and offensive line, the quality of field position to start a series and what the defense can do to limit the opponents scoring. Having played on teams that could not provide anything in regards to all of the above, he managed to be top five in the Big ten in passing yardage. Not to mention, three sets of coaches. He will play in the NFL.

Enough with the excuses regarding coordinators. Jason Campbell at Auburn had a different coordinator every year of college and was still a 1st round draft pick. He somehow managed not to get worse each year, maybe talent has something to do with it.

If he had chosen WI, people would have a far different outlook on him.

Weber is as good as the team he plays on, the quality of the receivers and offensive line, the quality of field position to start a series and what the defense can do to limit the opponents scoring. Having played on teams that could not provide anything in regards to all of the above, he managed to be top five in the Big ten in passing yardage. Not to mention, three sets of coaches. He will play in the NFL.

If you mean "play" as in being a 3rd stringer for a year maybe two, there is an outside chance.

He's interesting enough to get a look in training camp by a few teams but that's about it at this point.

He doesn't have a strong arm. He's very inconsistant with his accuracy. Doesn't throw a good deep ball. He's mobile, but not an elite athlete.

That said, if you, look at his stats so far this year he might end up with his best statistcal season. Not by much though, his 2008 season will be close to as good as this year.

Scouts are going to look at that. No progress made since his sophomore season? They are not going to like that. You can blame coaching and talent around him but he's less accurate now than he was. He's not making the tough throws with any more regularity than he was two years ago.

The bottom line is he's done enough where he might get a chance to be in training camp next year. I would be very surprised if anyone drafts him and I'd be more surprised if he makes a roster.

For having the audacity to offer a scholarship to a MAC-level QB?

My last comment was over the line, and I must take this opportunity to apologize.

To Ben Roethlisberger, Charlie Batch, Bruce Gradkowski, Dan LeFevour, Byron Leftwich, Chad Pennington, and Charlie Frye:

I wholeheartedly regret the comments I made in which I lumped Adam Weber with the rest of you. This was truly a breach of etiquette, and for that I offer my heartiest apologies.

I am sincerely sorry for any emotional distress that this thoughtless action has caused any of you.

Yeah, he'd be a clipboard holder there.

I respectfully disagree. I think in that system (remember he was recruited for Mason's offense) he would have absolutely excelled. I have little doubt he would be better than Tolzien in a similar situation.

That said, he had no chance of ever really developing into a top tier big ten QB as long while playing for 5 different OCs in 5 years and running 3 very different systems....Spread, Pro and Power I.

I wish we would have stayed with the spread the whole time...Brew screwed Weber and all of us...Thanks Joel Maturi for being a royal dbag!

Could you please tell me when at anytime Minnesota has run the Power I in the last 5 years? That would be news to me.

Enough with the excuses regarding coordinators. Jason Campbell at Auburn had a different coordinator every year of college and was still a 1st round draft pick. He somehow managed not to get worse each year, maybe talent has something to do with it.

+1

Thank you.

I respectfully disagree. I think in that system (remember he was recruited for Mason's offense) he would have absolutely excelled. I have little doubt he would be better than Tolzien in a similar situation.

343313257_e02f570ce5.jpg

Off topic, but when did these stupid animal pictures become all the rage?

I love how these Weber Myth Engineers who believe Weber is the worst QB ever are ignoring the fact this article mentions he'll get a look by the NFL.

40% of our offensive plays this year are run in a Power I set...two backs...two tight ends

That is the I-Formation with 2 tight ends or Big-I.

You have a different definition of Power I. The Power I is when there are 3 running backs in the backfield. It is what Nebraska ran for the better part of 30 years, ending in the late 90's.

You have a full back, an I-back and a back who is offset between the full back and I-back.

From the googles...

Many subtypes of the I formation exist, generally emphasizing the running or passing strengths of the base version.

The Power I replaces one wide receiver with a third back (fullback or running back) in the backfield, set up to one side of the fullback. This is a running-emphasis variant.

Top Bottom