All Things P.J. Fleck Rumor Mill Thread - Listed as Candidate for Other Jobs

Historically Ohio state has not hired a lot of coaches fired by Minnesota.
In 2000, tOSU fired John Cooper, in part because he had the audacity to lose to Minnesota. Mason, who wasn’t fired by MN until 2006, made it pretty clear he’d jump ship when he said something to the effect he would answer the phone if they called. And nobody would blame him.

In 2000, tOSU fired John Cooper, in part because he had the audacity to lose to Minnesota. Mason, who wasn’t fired by MN until 2006, made it pretty clear he’d jump ship when he said something to the effect he would answer the phone if they called. And nobody would blame him.
No.
And Ohio state > Michigan state
And 2023 Minnesota > 1990s Minnesota

When’s the last time a big10 team poached another big10 head coach?
Alex Agase went Northwestern (1972) to Purdue (1973)
(I am way too old)
And John Pont departed Indiana to take the Northwestern job that Agase left.

Last edited:

PJ will move on. Just like AD Coyle is trying to move on. College sports is a big dollar business. AD, coaches, and players will go where they can get the most money. It's free agency from now on. Buckle up.
If it was only about money for PJ, I don't think he comes to MN in the first place. And I think he would have been gone by now from MN too.

Just like his players in recruiting, I think he's also big on 'fit' and what is the best situation overall.

No.
And Ohio state > Michigan state
And 2023 Minnesota > 1990s Minnesota
All true. My point is that any concern about PJ jumping ship isn’t based solely on Holtz; we also had to deal with Mason’s flirtations with other jobs. Or in basketball, it was Monson almost taking the Washington job.

All true. My point is that any concern about PJ jumping ship isn’t based solely on Holtz; we also had to deal with Mason’s flirtations with other jobs. Or in basketball, it was Monson almost taking the Washington job.

You’re afraid of things that didn’t happen. Imagine never driving because of the one time you almost got in an accident. Not working because of the time you almost got fired.

You’re afraid of things that didn’t happen. Imagine never driving because of the one time you almost got in an accident. Not working because of the time you almost got fired.
I don’t remember saying I was afraid he’d leave. Personally, I don’t think he’d leave for MSU but even if he did, we’d survive. They’re staying up late making football coaches. Literally.

Tubby almost went to UVa too. But still the list of coaches in major sports who have actually done it is Holtz and Brenda Freese. Every school who's not a blue blood deals with rumors.

Tubby almost went to UVa too. But still the list of coaches in major sports who have actually done it is Holtz and Brenda Freese. Every school who's not a blue blood deals with rumors.
Bill Fitch left to take the Cleveland Cavalier’s job

I can't think of a Big Ten team having ever hired a coach who had previously been fired
Minnesota hired Lou Holtz, so yeah, it's happened. And it's happened at Minnesota. As others have pointed out, several times in the past 3 years in the B1G.

If it was only about money for PJ, I don't think he comes to MN in the first place. And I think he would have been gone by now from MN too.

Just like his players in recruiting, I think he's also big on 'fit' and what is the best situation overall.
You don't have to think it, remember PJ took a pay cut to come here.....

If you believe any of the rumors, PJ has tried repeatedly to leave Minnesota since arriving here (Oregon, Tennessee, Nebraska, etc) but none of those jobs have reciprocated his/his representatives interest.

Top Bottom