All Things P.J. Fleck Rumor Mill Thread - Listed as Candidate for Other Jobs

Looking at various internet sites this morning, PJ is barely mentioned as a candidate. In fact I think only the Athletic lists him. Some of the sites such as CBSsports, MLive, etc do not mention Fleck at all. The heads coaches at Kansas. Kansas State, Duke and Oregon State are very popular along with Hartline (OC Ohio State), Jim Leonard, and Mike Tressel (DC-Wisconsin). Tressel was at Michigan State for years as DC under Dantonio. This board like to get wound up about PJ leaving but in reality many of the schools like other candidates

PJ will go where the money is, and Michigan State is a big step up from Minnesota. Bigger stage and easier to recruit top talent. That's the truth.
Everything has a price of course, but you don't leave a power 5 job for a lateral move, especially in conference to an Athletic Department that has had issues upon issues. The pay day would have to be massive, and if they can afford it, they can get someone hotter than Fleck is now.

I dont think PJ is a very hot commodity in todays coaching carousel. 2019 is nearly forgotten. If MSU came calling, he would probably go. Fortunately for him he can stay here and collect a nice check for staying competitive with our rivals (if we ever beat Iowa). I would try to get Jim Leonhard if PJ left. Maybe the Fresno St. coach?

I dont think PJ is a very hot commodity in todays coaching carousel. 2019 is nearly forgotten. If MSU came calling, he would probably go. Fortunately for him he can stay here and collect a nice check for staying competitive with our rivals (if we ever beat Iowa). I would try to get Jim Leonhard if PJ left. Maybe the Fresno St. coach?
Tedford will retire at Fresno I bet. He’s 61 and has always been a west coast guy.

He makes $5 mil at Kansas. Guessing MSU learned a lesson with Tucker. So I if they offered him $7.5, I bet Kansas gets most of the way there.

Don’t know if he’d leave for $1 mil per year more, or what type of perks would come with it. But maybe?

Looking at various internet sites this morning, PJ is barely mentioned as a candidate. In fact I think only the Athletic lists him. Some of the sites such as CBSsports, MLive, etc do not mention Fleck at all. The heads coaches at Kansas. Kansas State, Duke and Oregon State are very popular along with Hartline (OC Ohio State), Jim Leonard, and Mike Tressel (DC-Wisconsin). Tressel was at Michigan State for years as DC under Dantonio. This board like to get wound up about PJ leaving but in reality many of the schools like other candidates
I am thinking they want a candidate that has proven themselves with a division title, championship or just able to beat the rivals.

When’s the last time a big10 team poached another big10 head coach?

I’d think they’d go with Hartline, Lewis, or maybe Herman. Offense seems to be the focus these days.

When’s the last time a big10 team poached another big10 head coach?
I think that last time a former Big Ten coach was hired at another Big Ten school it was Wes Fesler (tOSU to Minnesota). Fritz Crisler went from Minnesota to Michigan by way of Princeton

At least we are done worrying about other teams stealing PJ...

I would not be upset Leonard at all.

This would be an attractive job if PJ left. It's in much better shape than it was.

Bring home Brandon Staley if PJ leaves. He’ll be licking his wounds from the Chargers firing him.

I am thinking they want a candidate that has proven themselves with a division title, championship or just able to beat the rivals.

Keep in mind they hired Mel Tucker. Who was 5-7 at Colorado.

His best finish at MSU was 3rd in the east.

Maybe it’s the truth, but it’s not based on any evidence. The little brother of Michigan is a bigger stage than Minnesota?
PJ will move on. Just like AD Coyle is trying to move on. College sports is a big dollar business. AD, coaches, and players will go where they can get the most money. It's free agency from now on. Buckle up.

Keep in mind they hired Mel Tucker. Who was 5-7 at Colorado.

His best finish at MSU was 3rd in the east.
And threw Saban-level money at him. While MSU doesn’t seem like a premier job, they seem better equipped to compete in the hired gun era college sports.

And threw Saban-level money at him. While MSU doesn’t seem like a premier job, they seem better equipped to compete in the hired gun era college sports.
75 million for Tucker, and they are now going to keep most of that money. They will be able to afford another monster contract to the coach of their choice.

The post noam was replying to said Ohio State hiring a coach just fired by Minnesota.

So doubtful anyone considers being just fired by the NFL equivalent to that.

Nick Saban was just fired by the NFL when hired by Bama.

Bret Birlema was not just fired by Arkansas when hired by Illinois, he had an NFL stint inbetween.

75 million for Tucker, and they are now going to keep most of that money. They will be able to afford another monster contract to the coach of their choice.

$95 million was his extension.

And I disagree—they’ll fall further behind their “rivals” and be nothing again.

Bret Bielema
Mike Locksley
Greg Schiano
Matt Rhule

And that's just among the current head coaches.
I meant fired from college but good to remember Bielema and Locks -- Locks feels like an exception because everyone gets fired at nmsu

PJ will move on. Just like AD Coyle is trying to move on. College sports is a big dollar business. AD, coaches, and players will go where they can get the most money. It's free agency from now on. Buckle up.
good riddance

Top Bottom