All Things P.J. Fleck Rumor Mill Thread - Listed as Candidate for Other Jobs

Compared to the descriptions of the other possible candidates citing PJ for "bringing stability" is pretty vanilla.
I see MSU as an institution a snake pit compared to MN.

Compared to the descriptions of the other possible candidates citing PJ for "bringing stability" is pretty vanilla.
I see MSU as an institution a snake pit compared to MN.
The BoT is similar to the U regents who will not allow athletics to run the institution. Annnnnnd we all know to succeed for a length of time in D1 the ath. Dept must wag the dog.

Would think their fans would not like this. Maybe right after 2019, but we haven’t beaten Iowa or won the west. Every team in the west outside of Iowa is in year zero or year one this year, and if we don’t win the west this year I can’t see these rumors continuing to pop up.

The BoT is similar to the U regents who will not allow athletics to run the institution. Annnnnnd we all know to succeed for a length of time in D1 the ath. Dept must wag the dog.
I get what you are saying, but they did bring in Tucker with a splash, Dantonio got three conference championships, and their basketball program is a longstanding top program. Athletic success is important to the institutional brand, no question in my mind.

Why would Leipold want that job? You’re 4th fiddle in the current east. He’s a great coach. He can get a better job in the next couple years. But if he goes to MSU and has a couple 5-7 campaigns the shine wears off.
He wouldn’t want Michigan state job for the same reason fleck wouldn’t. Better to save the step up to a blue blood type job.
He would want the Michigan state job for the same reason fleck would. Blue blood offer may never come and Michigan state may pay like a blue blood even though they aren’t.

Michigan state is like the Texas A&M of the big ten.

I get what you are saying, but they did bring in Tucker with a splash, Dantonio got three conference championships, and their basketball program is a longstanding top program. Athletic success is important to the institutional brand, no question in my mind.
Tucker was a splash? He was 5-7 in his one year as a head coach. I suppose he was the 7th best coach on Alabama one year

Fleck being offered the MSU job and taking the job is possible but I would think unlikely.

MSU has not one, but TWO MAJOR sugar daddies in Mat Ishbia and Dan Gilbert (what is it about Sparty and mortgages?). If I'm a coach looking at that program, that's a pretty tantalizing factor to consider, especially for Fleck, who has a nascent and small NIL program with apparently no major donors willing to step up.

The MSU job being offered and Fleck taking the job is possible but I would think unlikely.
I would agree with this analysis.
I would think they’d shoot bigger.
And if the bigger targets turn it down I would think fleck would for the same reasons they did.

If fleck really likes Coyle and thinks Coyle is leaving that might factor in.
If fleck thinks he is on the hot seat that may factor in.

If he does leave, Mn would be in good position to hire someone.

With the support the Men's Athletic Department gets around here why would a coach ever want to leave..😊

MSU has not one, but TWO MAJOR sugar daddies in Mat Ishbia and Dan Gilbert (what is it about Michigan State and mortgages?). If I'm a coach looking at that program, that's a pretty tantalizing factor to consider, especially for Fleck, who has a nascent and small NIL program with apparently no major donors willing to step up.
With big donors comes a different kind of pressure though.
Big enough donors to think they should compete for national championships but not big enough donors to actually compete.

Could be enticing or might not be

We also know Mason would have bolted if tOSU had offered.
And that's very different from using the program as a stepping stone as previous post asserted. OSU was his alma mater, and it's a helmet school. When you put those two together it doesn't matter where someone is coaching, they will likely leave. Look at Williams leaving Kansas to go to UNC in basketball.

Fleck isn't going to leave for MSU and all the crap there, and if he does the program is in a place they would get a really strong coach.

PJ would never bolt for this job because he knows he has the resume to shoot higher. He did great at the G5 level (pretty much Fickell’s entire resume right there) and unlike him has sustained P5 success. We should get worried if Harbaugh finally pulls the trigger and leaves for the NFL, although one major deterrent keeping PJ in place is the culture he’s set here.

I don’t think PJ is going to Michigan State. I hope he doesn’t go anywhere. I believe in what he’s doing here, 100%!!!

Having said that, if he were to leave, Rossi might get his shot here, but I’ll add this……

Coyle was on a podcast before the season started and his tenure at Boise State was brought up when they were discussing conference expansion. While discussing Boise State, he voluntarily brought up Chris Peterson, their friendship, which is still strong today, and how mush he thinks about Peterson as a coach and person. I immediately got the feeling that if the head job ever came open here again, Peterson is going to at least get a phone call. Not sure if he wants to ever coach again, but I’ll bet he gets a call.

PJ would never bolt for this job because he knows he has the resume to shoot higher. He did great at the G5 level (pretty much Fickell’s entire resume right there) and unlike him has sustained P5 success. We should get worried if Harbaugh finally pulls the trigger and leaves for the NFL, although one major deterrent keeping PJ in place is the culture he’s set here.
I’ve said this on here before, but my very good friend and his family are massive Michigan boosters (tens of millions donated to athletics and the university) and their business has a huge presence in Ann Arbor. He told me there is zero chance Fleck ever coaches at Michigan. He doesn’t fit their mold.

Unless it was those two guys who had her name leaked in order to get out of Tucker’s deal.

Could give a person pause that you’ve got two bigwigs breathing down your neck.

I’ve said this on here before, but my very good friend and his family are massive Michigan boosters (tens of millions donated to athletics and the university) and their business has a huge presence in Ann Arbor. He told me there is zero chance Fleck ever coaches at Michigan. He doesn’t fit their mold.
Can certainly see that. i also see absolutely no chance of Fleck going south from the Midwest to fill in for, say, a Clemson opening if Dabo retires or something like that. Maybe he would be willing to coach at a west coast B1G school, but none of those jobs are really open right now outside of I guess UCLA at some point in the future (though that time probably won’t come for a while). Needless to say the only reason PJ would leave for an MSU-tier school would be if he wanted to leave Minnesota badly, which I think it’s rather clear isn’t the case. He’ll only leave for a massive opportunity and if Michigan’s not on the table that’s good news for us.

Would the getting rid of divisions play any role? In the west, Fleck feels he has a chance. When they scrap the divisions, it seems like a whole different ballgame. Would he feel he has a better chance at MSU or Minnesota? That would seem to be the question. Unless, they were to blow him out of the water with an unbelievable offer.

MSU locked in with Mich and have Penn St IU next two years. Gophers locked in with Wisc Iowa and have Neb next two years.

You play every other team in the two years once. So wash there.

MSU probably somewhat harder the next two years.

Would the getting rid of divisions play any role? In the west, Fleck feels he has a chance. When they scrap the divisions, it seems like a whole different ballgame. Would he feel he has a better chance at MSU or Minnesota? That would seem to be the question. Unless, they were to blow him out of the water with an unbelievable offer.
PJ will go where the money is, and Michigan State is a big step up from Minnesota. Bigger stage and easier to recruit top talent. That's the truth.

With how far PJ’s already come here, I doubt his chances at success would be much better at MSU. Even in the divisionless format it still feels like we’ll consistently be one breakout season away from competing for a conference title (and now a 12-team playoff berth). Don’t think it would be very different at MSU and would take a long time to reestablish his culture and redevelop a roster/coaching staff that can get him to that point.

PJ will go where the money is, and Michigan State is a big step up from Minnesota. Bigger stage and easier to recruit top talent. That's the truth.
Maybe it’s the truth, but it’s not based on any evidence. The little brother of Michigan is a bigger stage than Minnesota?

I believe Fleck felt he'd win at a much higher level here. His recruiting is not what he thought it would be. I wonder about what he thinks of this passing game deep down. I can see him leaving in a heartbeat, as I think he expected much more. It's year 7 here, and many would take 7-5. It feels stagnant here. I can see PJ thinking the same way.
Of course many would take 7-5 with a hard schedule. We remember dreaming of 7-5 with east schedules. Doesn’t matter that it’s year 7, programs go up and down, not sure why some think a program should advance a step every single year when the roster turnover is so significant.

Of course many would take 7-5 with a hard schedule. We remember dreaming of 7-5 with east schedules. Doesn’t matter that it’s year 7, programs go up and down, not sure why some think a program should advance a step every single year when the roster turnover is so significant.
If we go 7-5 it will be the first time with 4 seasons in 5 years above .500 since the 60s
And the one under was Covid year

Top Bottom