All Things Kerwin Walton Recruitment Thread (Class of 2020)

When do spring recruits start making their decisions? Do they have to wait until after the season?

They can commit whenever but spring signing is after the season

Spring signing period starts on tax day...April 15th this year

Arizona just picked up a second wing commitment in the 2020 class. Could impact Kerwin’s recruitment as Arizona’s been viewed as one of the favorites.

Maybe in Gophers favor if he commits later rather than sooner, especially if their rate of progress continues it's recent arc.

Could use him, BADLY. Gophers need to add shooters and some immediately contributing size, especially if Oturu leaves.

Does Walton know how to play defense? Is he strong? Based on offense alone, I could see him displace either Willis or Kalscheur as a freshman. Defense is a whole different animal. Anyone know about his defensive prowess? Pitino sure let Gabe play early on as a frosh.

Does Walton know how to play defense? Is he strong? Based on offense alone, I could see him displace either Willis or Kalscheur as a freshman. Defense is a whole different animal. Anyone know about his defensive prowess? Pitino sure let Gabe play early on as a frosh.

Defense passed the eye test. Would be a great two way player for the Gophers. There's a lot of reasons UNC and AZ have offered.

Seen this "do freshman know how to play defense" a couple of times now. Good defense is a team thing as much as an individual. Freshman struggle to play good team defense often because they don't TALK and they don't know what to say if they do talk and they cannot anticipate other teams actions.

Half of Tre Williams "yanks" by Pitino are missed assignments on rotations or not closing out on the shooter quick enough on a switch. Communication, not physical ability to guard someone.

"Things are a bit different with Walton, however. The 6-foot-5, 195-pound shooting guard from Hopkins, Minnesota is ranked just inside the top-100 of the 247Sports Composite for 2020. But even though his recruitment isn’t as hot as that of Williams, there’s tremendous value in a player like Walton. He’s widely considered one of the best pure shooters in the class, and he’s got great size for his position. Rivals recruiting analyst Eric Bossi recently touched on Walton’s recruitment, noting what a gifted shooter he is."

“In my mind, Kerwin Walton is the best shooter left on the board,” Bossi writes. “I know there are higher ranked guys available, but Walton is a big-time jump shooter. Not only can the 6-foot-5 wing from Minnesota really shoot it, but he is a crafty defender who has some toughness to him.
Walton saw Arizona and North Carolina officially during the fall and both were in to see him in the last week. Recently, he’s made a couple of trips to Minnesota for unofficial visits and Arkansas and Oklahoma have been in. If I had to handicap it, I’d give Arizona the lead but Walton isn’t giving out many hints just yet.”

"Things are a bit different with Walton, however. The 6-foot-5, 195-pound shooting guard from Hopkins, Minnesota is ranked just inside the top-100 of the 247Sports Composite for 2020. But even though his recruitment isn’t as hot as that of Williams, there’s tremendous value in a player like Walton. He’s widely considered one of the best pure shooters in the class, and he’s got great size for his position. Rivals recruiting analyst Eric Bossi recently touched on Walton’s recruitment, noting what a gifted shooter he is."

Saw two Arkansas scouts at Minnehaha vs Hopkins earlier this month.

how come the U didnt get any of the 2021 MN kids. it looks like they went to WI or some other school. you would think we could 1 of them to attend the U. Something's wrong here.

how come the U didnt get any of the 2021 MN kids. it looks like they went to WI or some other school. you would think we could 1 of them to attend the U. Something's wrong here.
Treyton Thompson not a 2021 kid?

His body is BIG ready. He is definitely strong and long enough to defend. He doesn't always defend well or even okay, because of lack of effort and/or watching the ball instead of the ball and his man. This year's Hopkins team has had some big breakdown games though. He will not start instead of Gabe. Gabe is an elite BIG defender right now. Walton will have some growing to do but would get minutes as a freshman.

Thanks, I know it's probably in this thread somewhere, but has anyone heard from Walton when he plans on announcing?

He may was well wait until April at this point, there's no point in committing any time soon. A lot will change between now and then with kids heading to the NBA Draft and transfers. I still think the Gophers are in good shape, but anything can happen between now and mid-April.

His body is BIG ready. He is definitely strong and long enough to defend. He doesn't always defend well or even okay, because of lack of effort and/or watching the ball instead of the ball and his man. This year's Hopkins team has had some big breakdown games though. He will not start instead of Gabe. Gabe is an elite BIG defender right now. Walton will have some growing to do but would get minutes as a freshman.
He would help Gabe a lot. The more I see Gabe - the more I think he would be a better player at 25 minutes of action than at 35 or so. He just is not a great athlete at this level but he works his tail off and I think he just tires out. Gabe needs to be a 4th option guy, a guy that the defense loses track of every once in a while. IF Oturu were to stay. Ihnen matures and Walton comes. Wow that's a lot of horsepower on the court

He would help Gabe a lot. The more I see Gabe - the more I think he would be a better player at 25 minutes of action than at 35 or so. He just is not a great athlete at this level but he works his tail off and I think he just tires out. Gabe needs to be a 4th option guy, a guy that the defense loses track of every once in a while. IF Oturu were to stay. Ihnen matures and Walton comes. Wow that's a lot of horsepower on the court
Agreed. Maybe even less than 25. It seems like the more playing time and shots he gets the worse he does. If he plays 20 minutes and takes 5 shots a game I think he is a very good player.

Top Bottom