All Things 2020-2021 College Football Coach Fire/Hire Thread

Malzahn was given $21.7m to go away.

Failing at the upper levels of College Football can be very profitable.
Incredible what some schools will do to try and improve. The pressure that comes from Alabama winning huge drives Auburn supporters to insanity.

Vanderbilt has hired Notre Dame defensive coordinator Clark Lea as its new head football coach, the school announced Monday night.

Lea, a Nashville native who finished his college career as a fullback at Vanderbilt, is expected to be introduced next week. He will continue working with No. 2 Notre Dame, which faces No. 3 Clemson on Saturday in the ACC championship game. Lea has served as Notre Dame's defensive coordinator the past three seasons, overseeing one of the nation's top defenses.

8.3 million for his assistants. $30 million to fire your coach. That’s beyond ridiculous.
Especially considering I can pretty much guarantee the guy they hire won’t beat Alabama as much as Mahlzahn did....

If Alabama had one one national title instead of how many they had and GM had the same record, no way he is fired

Especially considering I can pretty much guarantee the guy they hire won’t beat Alabama as much as Mahlzahn did....

If Alabama had one one national title instead of how many they had and GM had the same record, no way he is fired
He was 39-27 in the SEC. He simply did not get enough done for those Auburn boosters. The fact is Saban has a bunch of national titles, no one can pretend he does not. Your right, the next guy probably does not go 3-5 against Alabama but they are not going to sit by with the results they have while Alabama piles up historical levels of success. Who will they hire !

He was 39-27 in the SEC. He simply did not get enough done for those Auburn boosters. The fact is Saban has a bunch of national titles, no one can pretend he does not. Your right, the next guy probably does not go 3-5 against Alabama but they are not going to sit by with the results they have while Alabama piles up historical levels of success. Who will they hire !

Malzahn is a really odd dude so I'm not entirely surprised that it came to a quick end. I'm not disagreeing with anything you're saying about the next guy being in a tough spot. He was hired as an offensive juggernaut who would bring on people to run his defenses. He is in a tough spot because Auburn's offense is horrific and it has really regressed. The defense has been great. The offense has even changed it's style, it's slowed down and just about every offensive skill player has regressed.

Malzahn is a really odd dude so I'm not entirely surprised that it came to a quick end. I'm not disagreeing with anything you're saying about the next guy being in a tough spot. He was hired as an offensive juggernaut who would bring on people to run his defenses. He is in a tough spot because Auburn's offense is horrific and it has really regressed. The defense has been great. The offense has even changed it's style, it's slowed down and just about every offensive skill player has regressed.
Gus’ problem is similar to Chip Kelly’s

they were both running some concepts that nobody at the FBS level were running and their offenses were unbelievable because of it.

5-10 years later those concepts have trickled to other places including the NFL and the uniqueness of their offense wasn’t good enough to be great anymore on its own because it isn’t that unique anymore.

Auburn is falling into the University of Michigan problem.

MI is to Ohio State
as
Auburn is to Alabama

MI is to Ohio State
as
Auburn is to Alabama
And auburn isn’t nearly Michigan IMO

Auburn is Halfway between Michigan and Michigan state

LSU and Texas A&M both have better structures to try to win national championships.
Auburn is the 4th best job in that division.

LSU and Texas A&M both have better structures to try to win national championships.

But based on the rivalry, they are losing focus on building a good program.
They are chasing shiny objects at this point.

This is part of the reason for my lower tolerance of the MN focus on our rivalry with WI.
When you are on the short end of that, you can't obsess over it. You need to keep building what you have working for you and keep improving what you can. Becoming obsessed over an opponent isn't going to serve you well because at best you end up imitating them.

But based on the rivalry, they are losing focus on building a good program.
They are chasing shiny objects at this point.

This is part of the reason for my lower tolerance of the MN focus on our rivalry with WI.
When you are on the short end of that, you can't obsess over it. You need to keep building what you have working for you and keep improving what you can. Becoming obsessed over an opponent isn't going to serve you well because at best you end up imitating them.
Yeah. You don’t start beating Wisconsin by focusing on beating Wisconsin.

you beat Wisconsin by building a program that is good enough to compete with Wisconsin and eventually the results will take care of themselves

You can really argue that Auburn is closer to Arkansas and Ole Miss than LSU and A&M. I just cannot for the life of me understand paying 20 million to hire Neal Brown or a Clemson coordinator.

Michigan has fired it's DC. Harbaugh shaking things up.

Whoa, Don Brown has been a pretty good DC, he’s the least of their troubles.
He was unwilling to change his ways. I’m not sure you can be a great defense playing all man to man all the time.

ohio state torches them yearly.

this year they had a young secondary so non-Ohio state torched them too.

It is too bad gophers were so out of sorts game one. Bad run fits and horrible special teams put the team behind the 8 ball...I think if they played it again at the end MN would’ve won fairly easily

Meaning it is pretty S&!tty looking up at Alabama every year for Auburn's mega boosters. Careful what you wish ala Nebraska.

MI is to Ohio State
as
Auburn is to Alabama

In some ways, it's not even that Michigan isn't keeping up with Ohio State, it's that Harbaugh is doing significantly worse than Lloyd Carr while Ohio State is doing way better than they've ever done.

In some ways, it's not even that Michigan isn't keeping up with Ohio State, it's that Harbaugh is doing significantly worse than Lloyd Carr while Ohio State is doing way better than they've ever done.
Yeah....
With the exception of this year, harbaugh is consistently about 1 game worse than Carr

The difference is that gave carr some big the titles

Some guys just have a way of falling up.
I don’t understand the hire.
Didn’t Cam regress this year?
The Arizona tennis team better hide all their balls.

Top Bottom