All Things 2020-2021 College Football Coach Fire/Hire Thread

BleedGopher

Reaction score
Austin Peay is first out of the gate:

With the 2020 college football season scheduled to begin in two months, Austin Peay is undergoing a coaching transition. On Friday, the university announced that coach Mark Hudspeth has resigned from his position, effectively immediately. No reason was given for the decision, but Hudspeth cited personal reasons in his statement.

"This was not an easy decision, but a very personal one," Hudspeth said. "I need to take some time away from the game with Tyla and the kids. I could not be more thankful for my time at Austin Peay and will be a fan forever. I will miss the players and coaches incredibly and will never forget their commitment to each other and this team. I will return to coaching in the future at the right time."

The surprising announcement comes after Hudspeth, in his lone season, led the Governors to a program-best 11-win season with an Ohio Valley Conference championship and postseason appearance. Austin Peay advanced to the NCAA Division I quarterfinal round. For his efforts, Hudspeth was named the OVC Coach of the Year. Hudspeth succeeded Will Healy, who took Austin Peay from a winless program to one capable of competing for conference titles. Healy is now entering his second season as the coach at Charlotte.

Go Gophers!!

Southern Miss chimes in, 1 week into the season:

Jay Hopson is out as Southern Mississippi head football coach and will be replaced by co-offensive coordinator Scotty Walden as interim head coach, the school announced Monday.

Southern Miss suffered a season-opening, 32-21 loss at home Thursday to South Alabama, marking the Jaguars' first road win since 2017.

"Coach Hopson came to me after last Thursday's game to discuss what was on his heart and after much discussion over the weekend, he and I agreed that new leadership for our program is needed," Southern Miss athletic director Jeremy McClain said in a statement. "Coach Hopson has been a part of our program for 10 years. I appreciate his commitment to Southern Miss and wish Jay and his family nothing but the best."

Go Gophers!!

I really don't understand quitting after one game?

Jackson State chimes in with a Prime Time hire:

Go Gophers!!

South Carolina chimes in:

South Carolina has parted ways with football coach Will Muschamp, athletic director Ray Tanner announced Sunday.

Offensive coordinator Mike Bobo, the former head coach at Colorado State, will serve as the Gamecocks' interim coach for the remainder of the season.

"After a thorough assessment of our football program, we have decided to make a change with the head football coach," Tanner said in a statement. "I appreciate all that Will Muschamp has done for our program and wish him and his family the best moving forward. I believe our program will be well served by Coach Bobo as the interim head coach as we search for a new leader for Gamecock Football."

Go Gophers!!

South Carolina chimes in again:

South Carolina has made it official, hiring ex-assistant Shane Beamer as its head football coach.

Beamer, 43, came to campus on Sunday alongside athletic director Ray Tanner and was introduced to the team after spending the past three seasons as assistant head coach and tight ends coach at Oklahoma.

The son of longtime Virginia Tech coach Frank Beamer takes over for Will Muschamp, who was fired last month with three games left in the season.

Go Gophers!!

Arizona chimes in:

Arizona lost to rival Arizona State 70-7 on Friday night to fall to 0-5 on the season, and that has cost coach Kevin Sumlin his job as the school announced on Saturday that it has dismissed Sumlin after his third season on the job. Defensive coordinator Paul Rhoads will serve as interim coach.

Go Gophers!!

South Alabama chimes in:

South Alabama has hired its new coach, an he's a familiar name to Jaguars fans. USA on Saturday afternoon announced that Indiana defensive coordinator Kane Wommack will replace Steve Campbell.

The 33-year-old Wommack will be the youngest head coach at the FBS level.

Go Gophers!!

That one surprises me. I think he will be a head coach again. Vandy or Illinois should look at him.

SEC fans call him “the best average coach in America”
that one 0% surprises me. The Auburn fan base has been over him for several years now. Since they lost in the BCS championship game in his first season, they've never finished a season with less than 4 losses and their only bowl wins have been over 9-4 Memphis and 6-7 Purdue. That ain;t gonna fly there

that one 0% surprises me. The Auburn fan base has been over him for several years now. Since they lost in the BCS championship game in his first season, they've never finished a season with less than 4 losses and their only bowl wins have been over 9-4 Memphis and 6-7 Purdue. That ain;t gonna fly there
They should look at Tennessee and be careful what they wish for

Friend of a friend story. A long time buddy of mine has a Minnesota friend who lives in SEC country and he told him a week ago Malzahn would be fired and that they are interested in Fleck. I don’t see Fleck going there.

Of course, their fans remember the beat down by the Gophers.

Friend of a friend story. A long time buddy of mine has a Minnesota friend who lives in SEC country and he told him a week ago Malzahn would be fired and that they are interested in Fleck. I don’t see Fleck going there.
Row The Boat Ya’ll.

So someone you know, knows someone, who lives in a large geographic region, and said Auburn is interested in fleck? Might as well start searching for a replacement now!

Buddy likes to get under your skin huh? Or does the MN&ALA "friend of" have Auburn buddies who want to get under his skin? ;)

Gus is one of those guys who can coach, can put a system together.

But the moment his system isn't working .... he just doubles down on it.

Like that Outback Bowl. Our DBs played back like 10 yards. From our first defensive play I watched them play back and ..... I was just waiting for them to take advantage of it with short passes ... Only in the 3rd quarter did they do it, it got them a TD... and they never did it again.

I listened to / watched some Auburn fan content and they all saw the same thing....

-throws up hands-

Auburn has quite a few 4 or more loss seasons in the past 25 years.

Bama fans are upset about this. They feel like Gus is worth the trade-off of an Iron Bowl loss every few years for a mediocre (relatively) Auburn program.

I hope Gus decides to be an OC for a couple years before he goes back to being the head guy. He was definitely at the forefront of what High Schools and Colleges are doing now with offensive scheme. The shotgun with an H-Back zone and power schemes are pretty much all Malzahn.

The Gophers could use an OC like him. At the moment, we're not good enough to line up and just beat everyone in the big ten (obviously). We need to have some innovation in our offense with this current personnel.

I hope Gus decides to be an OC for a couple years before he goes back to being the head guy. He was definitely at the forefront of what High Schools and Colleges are doing now with offensive scheme. The shotgun with an H-Back zone and power schemes are pretty much all Malzahn.

The Gophers could use an OC like him. At the moment, we're not good enough to line up and just beat everyone in the big ten (obviously). We need to have some innovation in our offense with this current personnel.

Doesn’t have to do anything. Auburn owes him >$20million for his remaining contract

I feel like he is going to end up going to coastal Carolina to replace their coach when he gets nabbed.

doesn’t need the huge salary as auburn will still be paying him the difference.

that team is ready set to win 8+ 3-4 years in a row with a system similar to his.

In 3 years he will be a good name again for a major job.

Gus is one of those guys who can coach, can put a system together.

But the moment his system isn't working .... he just doubles down on it.

Like that Outback Bowl. Our DBs played back like 10 yards. From our first defensive play I watched them play back and ..... I was just waiting for them to take advantage of it with short passes ... Only in the 3rd quarter did they do it, it got them a TD... and they never did it again.

I listened to / watched some Auburn fan content and they all saw the same thing....

-throws up hands-

Malzahn was given $21.7m to go away.

Failing at the upper levels of College Football can be very profitable.

Top Bottom