2024 Schedule Coming out Today at 3pm

Yeah, the schedule is going to be tough. It's going to be tough every year.

Before, if a team in the West got lucky with the cross-overs, you might only face 1 or 2 really strong opponents all season.

now, with an 18-team conference, no divisions, and adding USC, UCLA, Ore & Wash - along with OSU, Mich & PSU - it's a virtual lock that schools like MN are going to face at least 2 and probably 3 strong opponents, along with rivalry games like WI and IA.

IMHO, schools like MN should schedule the 3 easiest non-conf games they can find. forget about marquee non-conf matchups - if you want to play in a bowl that is not located in Detroit, you need those 3 non-conf wins.

out schedule while being tough is not impossible. I would rather race USC, Michigan and Penn State than OSU or Oregon next year.

The biggest observation on B1G West teams is that the B1G really is setting up Nebraska to have a top 15 / Top 10 team next year as long as they are above average. Great possibility of being 6-1 or 7-0 by the time they play Ohio State.

Before, if a team in the West got lucky with the cross-overs, you might only face 1 or 2 really strong opponents all season.

now, with an 18-team conference, no divisions, and adding USC, UCLA, Ore & Wash - along with OSU, Mich & PSU - it's a virtual lock that schools like MN are going to face at least 2 and probably 3 strong opponents, along with rivalry games like WI and IA.

IMHO, schools like MN should schedule the 3 easiest non-conf games they can find. forget about marquee non-conf matchups - if you want to play in a bowl that is not located in Detroit, you need those 3 non-conf wins.
That’s true.
But at the same time. I’m not convinced Washington and UCLA are going to be any better than Nebraska in the big ten

Agree we need a Mason-like cupcake non-con now.

Yikes, that is an absolutely brutal schedule. Bowl eligibility might be on the line next year depending on how many players are back, etc.
When it was initially released, I thought that way too. But the more I look at, I say bring it on.

Listen, without Drake Maye, who will be gone, I fully expect to beat North Carolina at home. Win the first three and you get Iowa at home with a chance at 4-0. Michigan, you’re not beating, but USC and UCLA are not on Michigan’s level. Not scared of those two. We’ll be an underdog in both games, but USC’s defense is brutal and they will have to break in a new QB. UCLA is also more mid-pack Big10 than upper elite. Then you get Maryland, Rutgers, Illinois, Penn State and Wisconsin. With the exception of Penn State, you’re on equal footing with all of them.

A 7 to 8 win season is not completely unreasonable. What I think is difficult about the schedule is the fact that there just isn’t an “easy” game anywhere in the conference schedule. Each game is gonna be a grinder. Everyone is going to need those two bye weeks.

I’m looking forward to it, and with a full season under Athan’s belt, and if we don’t have a bunch of key defections, we should be better next year.

Really curious to see what they do with tiebreakers

Or is the conference just hoping this schedule won’t end in a tie 😂

Brutal schedule for Gophers. Exciting.

I love the Southern Cal teams in the Big Ten. That's basically the largest TV market in USA (New York is #1 but no big teams there). I'm more likely to watch a game against UCLA than Indiana.

And to visit, Southern California is great -- especially if you like nature. Minnesota is great, but California is on a totally different level when it comes to jaw-dropping outdoors beauty. The huge ocean with so many different microclimates, the mountains, the beaches, the hiking trails through all kinds of different areas. I'd much rather see a road game there than Iowa.

This is the big time. It's good.

I'm neutral on Oregon and Washington. USC/UCLA does need teams in that zone to play and Oregon and Washington are among the best in the nation. What's not to like.

That Big Ten schedule is a Brad Childress-phrase (kick ass).

I wonder what the SEC thinks of that! It's kick ass.

".... The league's first schedule with 18 members, each playing nine conference games, was shaped using the Flex Protect XVIII model, which includes 12 annual protected rivalries and a robust rotation to avoid the long gaps between pairings present in other conferences. The Big Ten also ensured that any team from...." Too much in the article to quote.

Interesting that they started putting conference games in Week 1 the last number of years, and now with more teams nobody plays a conference game in Week 1. Unless everybody had "unmovable" non-conference games that week already scheduled, seems like a wasted opportunity.

Interesting that they started putting conference games in Week 1 the last number of years, and now with more teams nobody plays a conference game in Week 1. Unless everybody had "unmovable" non-conference games that week already scheduled, seems like a wasted opportunity.
In the schedule reveal show on BTN they suggested that it was because it was so late it was hard to move non conference games for people

They specifically mentioned they worked with UCLA and Fresno to move their game to the last week so as not to disrupt rivalry week for anyone since USC plays notre dame. I would guess there will be an unwritten agreement that in odd years USC and UCLA will play the last weekend but in even years since USC hosts notre dame UCLA will start to schedule non conference games for that final week.

out schedule while being tough is not impossible. I would rather race USC, Michigan and Penn State than OSU or Oregon next year.

The biggest observation on B1G West teams is that the B1G really is setting up Nebraska to have a top 15 / Top 10 team next year as long as they are above average. Great possibility of being 6-1 or 7-0 by the time they play Ohio State.
Next year might not be terrible like some are accepting.

I'd rather have USC and UCLA than Oregon and Washington right now.
Michigan could blow up for a couple years if Harbaugh is fired or banned
North Carolina is at home, but I think Maye comes back for Senior Year
Iowa will be bringing in new OC and new talent on offense and replacing around 7 on defense
Illinois, Maryland, & Rutgers are teams we are supposed to beat.

WI and PSU will be good as always.

I would say 6 wins is the floor for next season.

Don't forget Oregon & Wash, as they made sure to do them a favor as well. They both get a bye on 11/23 and then get to stay on the West coast on 11/30 to play each other.
The byes for Oregon & Washington on 11/23 were done to give them opportunities to play against their respective in state rivals (Oregon St / Washington St) in non-Conference games. Both rivalries are still in limbo for the moment.

Other interesting schedule info here:

It took 63 drafts before setting on the final one.

They were able to work it out for teams going multiple time zones (going east or west), the following week get either a bye or home game.

Part of FOX kicking in more dough with the additions of Oregon & Washington is that there will be 9 Friday Night games throughout the conference. Makes sense, only so many broadcast windows on Saturday. Something had to give.

No team has consecutive games where they have to travel over 2 or more time zones. The B1G’s COO explained that on the Schedule Show.
There are no teams in the Mountain time zone so that is a bit disingenuous.

The byes for Oregon & Washington on 11/23 were done to give them opportunities to play against their respective in state rivals (Oregon St / Washington St) in non-Conference games. Both rivalries are still in limbo for the moment.

They were able to work it out for teams going multiple time zones (going east or west), the following week get either a bye or home game.

Part of FOX kicking in more dough with the additions of Oregon & Washington is that there will be 9 Friday Night games throughout the conference. Makes sense, only so many broadcast windows on Saturday. Something had to give.
Let’s hope the Friday games for gophers are after high school football season

Non Conference games next year. All teams have their 3 spots filled except for Washington, Illinois, and Northwestern each have a game to fill.

• Washington and Washington State could fill the state rivalry spot.
  • Oregon is scheduled for 13 games playing Hawaii on August 24th to start the season.
  • Oregon State is scheduled to play Purdue next year.
  • Purdue as two P4 games on the schedule with Notre Dame and Oregon St.
  • tOSU does not have a P4 game next year
  • Indiana does not have a P4 game
  • USC plays LSU and Notre Dame
  • Washington does not have P4 game unless they schedule Washington State
* Still considering Washington State and Oregon State P4 schools for the time being.

Matchups.
Illinois v Kansas
Nebraska v Colorado
Purdue vs Notre Dame and Oregon St.
Wisconsin vs Alabama
Rutgers vs Virginia Tech
Michigan vs Texas
Minnesota vs North Carolina
Iowa vs Iowa State
Mich State vs Boston College
Maryland vs Virginia
Northwestern vs Duke
Penn State vs West Virginia
UCLA vs LSU
USC vs Notre Dame and LSU
Oregon vs Texas Tech

It will be what it is now for divisions except for the whole conference.

Let’s hope the Friday games for gophers are after high school football season
I know you're speaking from your own personal viewpoint being involved in Prep football, but so many HS games in Minnesota are on non-Fridays now, I'm not sure it matters much.

Tonight is only the 4th Friday night game Northfield has played all year, so several weeks I would have been quite content to be at the Bank on a Friday evening.

I don't know if the Gophers will get special consideration if the Thursday night opener continues, but I expect them to play at least 1 Friday night game per year. Probably they will host more often than travel. Hopefully they can fall on MEA weekend.

Last edited:

I know you're speaking from your own personal viewpoint being involved in Prep football, but so many HS games in Minnesota are on non-Fridays now, I'm not sure it matters much.

Tonight is only the 4th Friday night game Northfield has played all year, so several weeks I would have been quite content to be at the Bank on a Friday night.

I don't know if the Gophers will get special consideration if the Thursday night opener continues, but I expect them to play at least 1 Friday night game per year. Probably they will host more often than travel. Hopefully they can fall on MEA weekend.
One of our byes is on MEA weekend next year

Our high school played 6 of 9 games on Friday for 6A.

The Friday night games definitely make sense for Fox as with so much game inventory those games will still have much better ratings than anything else Fox could put on the air on a Friday.

I think it was On3 that posted USC’s 2024 schedule on X and everyone was saying they’ll go 6-6 based on their tough B1G schedule. 😆

Top Bottom