2023 MN High School Football season

I'm more of a small-school guy. Springfield is off to a good start in their 1A semi. I'm hoping for a Springfield-Minneota Prep Bowl.

Was at game. EP lacked poise which surprised me. Edina dared the QB to beat them and he couldn’t. He’s a good running QB, but otherwise is average at best and they couldnt do it. Offensively, Edina is balanced. I was impressed with Edina.

Wow Edina has been a suprise this year. Rarely, if ever, do I cheer for them but I would be okay with them winning the prep bowl this year

Yeah, as someone who went to Hopkins very, very long ago I can't believe I'm saying this . . . but I'm okay with Edina winning. Where a sport has been dominated by a few teams I always like to see a party crasher, and football isn't a sport where they have such a built-in advantage due to financial resources.

I’m a fan of STA, which beat previously undefeated Alexandria in the 5A semi-final—coming back to win (42-30) from a 23-0 deficit in the 2Q. STA’s star RB, Savion Hart had 25 rushed for 232 yards and a couple of TDs, as expected. Also impressive, however, was STA’s QB, Maximus Sims (what a football name!). He went 12-15 for 245 yards and 3 TDs.

Y’all seem upset it cost money to attend games. Im glad it’s online tickets. Bought mine on the way, paid $10 to park in a ramp connected to the stadium and walked in. Pretty sweet deal honestly.

And the $10 monthly stream? If that’s the difference maker for you I’m sorry. Maybe go find a part time job instead of worrying about HS football

MSHSL FB Semi-Finals - Sat, Nov 18

1A:
Springfield 36, Mahnomen-Waubun 12
Minneota 63,Belgrade-Brooten-Elrosa 6

3A:
Stewartville 28, Dilworth-Glyndon-Felton 7
Annandale 24, Dassel-Cokato 14

5A: Holy Beep
Chanhassen 54, Andover 46 in OT!!!

------------- ---------------------

Prep Bowl Schedule:

Friday, Nov 24
1A - Springfield vs Minneota - 10am
2A - Barnesville vs Eden Valley-Watkins -1pm
4A - Rocori vs Hutchinson - 4pm
6A - Centennial vs Edina - 7pm

Saturday, Nov 25
9pl - Kingsland vs Nevis - 10am
3A - Stewartville vs Annandale - 1pm
5A - St. Thomas Academy vs Chanhassen - 4pm

Last edited:

Prep Bowl Preview
(final state rating) (# of appearances in playoffs) (State titles won and runner-up finishes)

Friday, Nov 24
Springfield #8 - 9th appearance. 1 State Title, 1 runner-up
Minneota #1 - 16th app. 8 Titles - 2 runners-up

Barnesville #1- 10th app. 1 Title. 3 runners-up.
Eden Valley-Watkins #3 - 12th app. 1 Title - 2 runners-up.

Rocori #7 - 12th app. 2 Titles - 2 runners-up
Hutchinson #3 - 26th app. 6 Titles - 2 runners-up

Centennial #5 - 6th app. No titles - 1 runner-up
Edina #9 - 4th app - no Titles - no runners-up
(Edina West had 1 State title in its only appearance)

Saturday, Nov 25
Kingsland #5 - 4th app. 2 Titles - 1 runner-up
Nevis #3 - 6th app. No titles - 1 runner-up

Stewartville #1 - 7th app. No Titles - 2 runners-up
Annandale #3 - 6th app. No Titles - No runners-up.

5A - St. Thomas Academy vs Chanhassen OR Andover - 4pm
St. Thomas Academy #6 - 27th app. - 5 runners-up
Chanhassen #1 - 1st app - No Titles - No runners-up

Last edited:

anyone who was at the Chanhassen-Andover game - please give us a report.

that must have been nuts.
Incredible high school football game. Chan made more mistakes and still won. 15 yard unsportsmanlike penalty on Chan HC on an irrelevant 2 or conversion just about cost them the game. Short field onside kick that Andover recovered. 100 points and and a 1000 yards. Defenses played as well as they could with athletes playing both ways. 11 for Andover should be a Gopher

What's the percentage of 3A Champs from the Wright County Conference over the past 25 years? Feels like at least once every other year the 3A champ comes out of there.

Incredible high school football game. Chan made more mistakes and still won. 15 yard unsportsmanlike penalty on Chan HC on an irrelevant 2 or conversion just about cost them the game. Short field onside kick that Andover recovered. 100 points and and a 1000 yards. Defenses played as well as they could with athletes playing both ways. 11 for Andover should be a Gopher
I've heard this from multiple people. He's going to be one that goes to NDSU, UST, or USD and we're all scratching our heads wondering how we missed on him.

Usually stuff doesn’t open up until December and January

But:
Hopkins has already posted their Hc job
Bloomington Jefferson coach has announced his retirement

Prep Bowl Predictions

9-man: Kingsland over Nevis
A- Minneota over Springfield
AA- Eden Valley Watkins over Barnesville
AAA- Stewartville over Annandale
AAAA- Hutchinson over Rocori
AAAAA- Chanhassen over St Thomas Academy
AAAAAA-Edina over Centennial

@Gophergrandpa no it will be Chan. They will win it all, then should get promoted to 6A. Community wise, they're the same thing as EP. Just the next exit down 212 or a couple more stoplights on 5.
You were right about the Chanhassen victory over Andover. Hope you are wrong about the final. I’m an STA fan.

All three of them should get promoted up to 6A, so the lowest three competitive public schools in that class can drop down.

That would be Hopkins, Burnsville, and Roseville. All three are 5A schools that are unfairly pushed up to 6A.

Or out recruit them....
Not saying public schools don't recruit, but far more prevalent at private schools.
I won a state championship at a private school. And the kids we beat would always say the same stuff about recruiting. We would always laugh and joke about which of us got recruited. We all went to Catholic grade schools together and thought that maybe the recruiting was referring to the Catholic Church recruiting our parents and grandparents into the faith. And our facilities were well below what most of the surrounding public schools had.

People always look for reasons why they lost at something. The refs were bad, the other team cheats etc. it’s just something people do. A little more understandable amongst kids than grownups, but I guess the same applies.

^ See! No Catholic school in MSHSL has ever had a transfer into the school in 9th grade or later! Never has happened!!

I won a state championship at a private school. And the kids we beat would always say the same stuff about recruiting. We would always laugh and joke about which of us got recruited. We all went to Catholic grade schools together and thought that maybe the recruiting was referring to the Catholic Church recruiting our parents and grandparents into the faith. And our facilities were well below what most of the surrounding public schools had.

People always look for reasons why they lost at something. The refs were bad, the other team cheats etc. it’s just something people do. A little more understandable amongst kids than grownups, but I guess the same applies.
I heard it straight from my relatives that went and played for TG but you can feel free to believe what you want. I also know of several examples of kids from my area that all of a sudden went to private schools for sports once they were 9th grade. I'm sure some private schools do it more than others, maybe you went to one that didn't. It also depends on the sport.

^ See! No Catholic school in MSHSL has ever had a transfer into the school in 9th grade or later! Never has happened!!
I don’t think a reasonable person could take that from my comment. But I think we get it, you don’t like private schools.

I heard it straight from my relatives that went and played for TG but you can feel free to believe what you want. I also know of several examples of kids from my area that all of a sudden went to private schools for sports once they were 9th grade. I'm sure some private schools do it more than others, maybe you went to one that didn't. It also depends on the sport.
I am sure it does. I am sure it happens everywhere. I have it from the horses mouth from parents kids that kids got recruited to play hockey at neighboring public schools. If the state had no open enrollment, I could see the argument that a private school could pull from a wider geographic area. And the type of recruiting we are talking about is luring kids who want to play for winning programs. Same thing that happens in public schools. Because if you are insulating that the private schools are handing our sports scholarships I invite you all to take a good look and the budget and funding of most private schools.

Listen I am sure there is some form “recruiting” at some private schools but that doesn’t really justify a bunch of grown men downplaying the success of kids that are different from them or families that have chosen a different educational path.

All three of them should get promoted up to 6A, so the lowest three competitive public schools in that class can drop down.

That would be Hopkins, Burnsville, and Roseville. All three are 5A schools that are unfairly pushed up to 6A.
Let’s reward for being bad? How about get better like Forest Lake, Eagan, and Coon Rapids? Their 5 A schedule would be no easier.

I am sure it does. I am sure it happens everywhere. I have it from the horses mouth from parents kids that kids got recruited to play hockey at neighboring public schools. If the state had no open enrollment, I could see the argument that a private school could pull from a wider geographic area. And the type of recruiting we are talking about is luring kids who want to play for winning programs. Same thing that happens in public schools. Because if you are insulating that the private schools are handing our sports scholarships I invite you all to take a good look and the budget and funding of most private schools.

Listen I am sure there is some form “recruiting” at some private schools but that doesn’t really justify a bunch of grown men downplaying the success of kids that are different from them or families that have chosen a different educational path.
STA’s two best players came from Cretin. Maybe it’s a Catholic thing? To be honest, I wouldn’t blame anyone for sending their students to non-public schools. Education has changed dramatically since COVID. I say this with two in public schools.

STA’s two best players came from Cretin. Maybe it’s a Catholic thing? To be honest, I wouldn’t blame anyone for sending their students to non-public schools. Education has changed dramatically since COVID. I say this with two in public schools.
I think there is a alot of reasons why people choose certain schools for their kids. I think when you get to know the parents and kids, it is a reason other than sports more often than you think. This is a site filled with sports people so it is natural that many people assume that is why families made the choice.

re-run - Prep Bowl Preview
(final state rating) (# of appearances in playoffs) (State titles won and runner-up finishes)

Friday, Nov 24
Springfield #8 - 9th appearance. 1 State Title, 1 runner-up
Minneota #1 - 16th app. 8 Titles - 2 runners-up

Barnesville #1- 10th app. 1 Title. 3 runners-up.
Eden Valley-Watkins #3 - 12th app. 1 Title - 2 runners-up.

Rocori #7 - 12th app. 2 Titles - 2 runners-up
Hutchinson #3 - 26th app. 6 Titles - 2 runners-up

Centennial #5 - 6th app. No titles - 1 runner-up
Edina #9 - 4th app - no Titles - no runners-up
(Edina West had 1 State title in its only appearance)

Saturday, Nov 25
Kingsland #5 - 4th app. 2 Titles - 1 runner-up
Nevis #3 - 6th app. No titles - 1 runner-up

Stewartville #1 - 7th app. No Titles - 2 runners-up
Annandale #3 - 6th app. No Titles - No runners-up.

5A - St. Thomas Academy vs Chanhassen - 4pm
St. Thomas Academy #6 - 27th app. - 5 runners-up
Chanhassen #1 - 1st app - No Titles - No runners-up

Yes, public schools recruit. Too. Key word there.

That does not prove that private schools should get to pretend that their enrollment numbers make them exactly the same as public schools of the same enrollment.

Not even close.

Does anyone know the rules for getting moved up/down in class size or have a link to them? Might have been mentioned earlier but I am at game and can’t get search feature to work.

Top Bottom